AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

The Way of Beauty
This topic is about The Way of Beauty
Meet Camille De Maio

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
1. Please tell us about yourself!

Hello, everyone! I'm Camille Di Maio and I write historical fiction for Lake Union. My newest release is The Way of Beauty, preceded by The Memory of Us and Before the Rain Falls.

I have been married for twenty-one years and have four children, whom we homeschool. (Though the first is off to college now.) I love to travel, and have visited four continents and over half of the states. My travels inspire my writing as does my love for history and research. I currently live in one of the most historical parts of the US - Williamsburg, Virginia!

2. Please tell us more about your book.

The Way of Beauty is a story about women set against the backdrop of the original and magnificent Penn Station in New York City. Spanning 1900-1963, it follows the lives of the daughter of an immigrant tunnel digger and a wealthy suffragette whose unlikely friendship stems from their love for the same man. As they advocate for the rights of women in very different ways, they leave the next generation with the challenge to further explore what the changing world means to them. It is also my ode to lost history, as the stunning train station was demolished to build Madison Square Garden.

description

3. If you could meet the your protagonist, what would you ask her about her life?

I would be most fascinated to visit with Pearl Pilkington, my suffragette character. Though she is not an actual historical figure, I did cull from the history of those women to create her. I would want to ask her more about how she was treated in her society circle by both men and women as she pressed for women's rights.

4. Tell us about some of your writing highlights this year!

I am excited that Before the Rain Falls was a finalist for the Holt Medallion Award for Literary Excellence and the GDRWA award. Also, I just received the cover art for the French translation of The Memory of Us, which will come out in September.

5. What are you working on next?

I am currently editing my fourth book, The Beautiful Strangers, which will come out in spring 2019. It is set at the stunning Hotel del Coronado in California and is a story about ghosts and movie stars.

message 2: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
I really love your upcoming subject in Beautiful Strangers! A potent story of ghosts and movie stars! Love it, and the setting! What time period is it set in?

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) I think your book covers are perfect for the stories you write. They pop with the look of a different era.