Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 4th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 08, 2018 10:30AM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "seconded" per user
- Suggestions close after 20 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries
- A book with a dual timeline
- A book whose page count is a prime number.
- A fiction and non-fiction book on the same topic
- A hyped book that has been given mixed reviews by your friends or people you follow
- A book you have completely ‘judged by its cover’
- A book about someone that you'd like to have dinner with
- A book by an author who is no longer alive
- A book with a family member in the title or a book in which a character's role as a family member in central to the plot
- A book inspired by Shakespeare or actually by Shakespeare
- A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, what, where, when, why)
- A book related to an activity on your bucket list
- The first book shown on your TBR page
- A book with a rare kind of hero
- An author's last book
- A book where the main character is a psychic, medium, clairvoyant or empath
- A book inspired by a fairy tale or a book told from the perspective of a villain from a fairy tale
- Two books by an author who writes using two different names (Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb; J. K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith, etc,)
- A book that was mentioned in another book you read
- A book related to a zodiac sign
- A book linked to a library

Available to be Seconded
- A president’s biography elected before 1960
- A book where its cover is only the shades of the same color
- A love story that doesn’t end “happily ever after”
- A book with an unlikable protagonist
- Two books, one that is written or takes place during the first ten years of a century and one that is written or takes place during the last ten years of the same century
- A book with a lion, a witch, or a wardrobe (or connected to the Chronicles of Narnia series in someway)

message 2: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments A book related to an activity on your bucket list.
eg parachuting, travelling, learning how to swim etc.

message 3: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

A book with a dual timeline

Some suggestions: https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

This is often some sort of historical fiction but also is often used in thrillers. Really any book that switches between two different time periods.

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8323 comments Mod
I’ll second a dual timeline. Those are my favorites!

message 5: by Marie (new)

Marie | 822 comments Read about someone that you'd like to have dinner with.

message 6: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments A hyped book that has been given mixed reviews by your friends or people you follow.

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine McKenzie | 36 comments -2 books by an author who writes using two different names (Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb; J. K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith, etc,).

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 10 comments President’s biography elected before 1960

message 9: by Steve (new)

Steve | 606 comments A book whose page count is a prime number. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth | 417 comments Steve wrote: "A book whose page count is a prime number. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..."

Seconding this one

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I’d like to suggest a book you have completely ‘judged by its cover’

message 12: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments A fiction and non-fiction book on the same topic.

message 13: by Vanessa (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments A book where its cover is only the shades of the same color

ie.
Among Others by Jo Walton Good Me, Bad Me by Ali Land The Burning Page (The Invisible Library, #3) by Genevieve Cogman

message 14: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments I second a fiction and non-fiction pairing.

I found this article with just a few ideas. I like the Salem Witch trials as a topic for this. https://bookriot.com/2017/12/26/ficti...

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments An author's last book.

message 16: by Matthias (new)

Matthias Stephan | 169 comments Charity wrote: "A hyped book that has been given mixed reviews by your friends or people you follow."

I second this. A great excuse to read a book you 'want' to read, but have been 'warned' against - so the guilty pleasure of the hyped book. Love it.

message 17: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Lisa wrote: "I’d like to suggest a book you have completely ‘judged by its cover’"

I'll second this!! every year I read a few books JUST because I am so drawn to their covers!!! (this usually goes badly for me, but I can't stop myself)

message 18: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Marie wrote: "Read about someone that you'd like to have dinner with."

I second this! Some ideas:
- the next book in a series with a protagonist you love
- a memoir or biography
- a recommended book with a protagonist that someone else thinks you'd like

message 19: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 119 comments Book by an author who is no longer alive. (This can be classics that are old, or an excuse to read something by someone who recently passed like Ursula L K Guin)

message 20: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments Sheri wrote: "Book by an author who is no longer alive. (This can be classics that are old, or an excuse to read something by someone who recently passed like Ursula L K Guin)"

I second this

message 21: by dalex (last edited Jul 07, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments A book with a family member in the title or a book in which a character's role as a family member is central to the plot

Some ideas:
a domestic thriller like the ones listed here
a family saga like the ones on this list
a novel about adoption like Look Again or A Theory of Relativity
a novel about infertility like Stay with Me or Sing You Home
a sci-fi book about population control like Red Clocks or Future Home of the Living God
a book about a child that's not what you think it is like The Changeling or The Stolen Child
a novel about being a parent of a kid in trouble like Defending Jacob or We Need to Talk About Kevin
a novel about newlyweds like An American Marriage or Love the One You're With
a book about the death of a parent like What We Lose or I Liked My Life

message 22: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments Katherine wrote: "-2 books by an author who writes using two different names (Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb; J. K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith, etc,)."

I'll second this one. Would be cool to compare the books and see how similar or different the writing styles are.

message 24: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 934 comments A love story that doesn’t end “happily ever after”

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I second dalex's A book with a family member in the title or a book in which a character's role as a family member is central to the plot

message 26: by Nadja (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:17AM) (new)

Nadja Read a top book from your TBR

Let’s tackle our TBR shelve(s). Read the first book shown on your TBR page. You can sort categories (title, author, num pages/ratings, avg rating,...) ascending or descending as you like to get a variety of choices.

message 27: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I second a book inspired by Shakespeare or actually by Shakespeare. Thank you, Kathy, for all the links -- so many possibilities!

message 28: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments A book inspired by a fairy tale. Or a book told from the perspective of a villain from a fairy tale.

message 29: by Perri (new)

Perri | 796 comments Nadja, I like tackling the TBR shelves but don't understand the suggestion. The first book on your shelf? Sorting the categories?

message 30: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) A book with an unlikable protagonist.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments I will suggest: A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, what, where, when, why)

message 32: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Clare, you seem to be giving two different suggestions. I entered the first part ("A book inspired by a fairytale") but feel to clarify.

message 33: by Ann (new)

Ann S | 618 comments Ohhh I want to second the activity on my bucket list. Got it all planned out.

message 34: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2022 comments Rachel wrote: "I will suggest: A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, what, where, when, why)"

I’ll second this.

message 35: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1688 comments Perri wrote: "Nadja, I like tackling the TBR shelves but don't understand the suggestion. The first book on your shelf? Sorting the categories?"

(not Nadja, but I think I know what she meant!): if you look at your shelf on a computer, you can click on the various column headings to change the way it is sorted, and you can click a second time to change from ascending to descending (or vice versa, depending on how it started). with each sort, write down the first title on the list, and that's your choices. It's a neat idea! (And I'm pretty sure none of this works in the app because Goodreads needs to get their act together and fix the app)

message 36: by Perri (new)

Perri | 796 comments OooOH, thanks Nadine, I second that one :)

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 362 comments I'll second a book inspired by a fairy tale.

message 38: by Hélène (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:10PM) (new)

Hélène | 175 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "I second a fiction and non-fiction pairing.

I found this article with just a few ideas. I like the Salem Witch trials as a topic for this. https://bookriot.com/2017/12/26/ficti......"

More ideas for the fiction/non-fiction prompt : https://modernmrsdarcy.com/book-fligh...

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill | 638 comments Two books, one that is written or takes place during the first ten years of a century and one that is written or takes place during the last ten years of the same century,
For example a book written or set between 1900-1909 and then a book written or set between 1990-1999.

message 40: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 2978 comments A book with a rare kind of hero

Some good examples could be: an old character, a transgender, a very tall girl, an ugly hero, someone with physical disability, etc.

message 41: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 943 comments A book with a lion, a witch, or a wardrobe (or connected to the Chronicles of Narnia series in someway).

message 42: by Nadja (new)

Nadja Nadine wrote: "Perri wrote: "Nadja, I like tackling the TBR shelves but don't understand the suggestion. The first book on your shelf? Sorting the categories?"

(not Nadja, but I think I know what she meant!): if..."

Nadine, thank you very much! I meant exactly that (and you explained it much better than I could have 😀)

message 43: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
I’ll second Zaz’s suggestion of a book with a rare kind of hero. I like character focused prompts and this would be a fun one to find a book for.

message 44: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1554 comments Mod
I'm seconding "an author's last book"; I like that it mirrors this year's an author's debut book.

message 45: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Tammy wrote: "An author's last book."

Does this mean the last book they wrote before they died? Or a book published posthumously? Or an author's most recent publication? Or any of these? *confused*

message 46: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2022 comments dalex wrote: "Tammy wrote: "An author's last book."

Does this mean the last book they wrote before they died? Or a book published posthumously? Or an author's most recent publication? Or any of these? *confused*"

I would think any of those ideas would count.

message 47: by Sophie (last edited Jul 07, 2018 04:27PM) (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2847 comments A book linked to a library.

It could be set in one, have a librarian as a character, written by a librarian, borrowed from the library, etc.

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 187 comments A book where the main character is a psychic, medium, clairvoyent or empath

message 49: by Angie (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:04PM) (new)

Angie Jessica wrote: "A book where the main character is a psychic, medium, clairvoyent or empath"

I'll second this.

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 187 comments Is there anyway to get pertinent links put into the announcement board with the topics? It's a tad difficult to get to them with only 3 completed rounds when we get up there it shall be more so.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.