The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Jenny Clark | 1543 comments Mod
Summer is a great time to go travel on the high seas! For this challenge, read a book that has a sailing word in the title or a high seas adventure story! This will run ubtill the end of summer, September 20th!
Some examples would be
Treasure Island
Robinson Cruseo
Pirate Lattitudes

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy  | 384 comments I am reading Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. So far it is a high seas adventure story. Love the descriptions of the Nautilus.

message 3: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Cindy, I have that book on my list, I'll look forward to your review!

message 4: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4052 comments Mod
I read Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. The novel tells the story of a spoiled rich teenager who falls overboard from an ocean liner and gets rescued by a crew member of a fishing schooner and his worthwhile experiences as a lowly crew member.

message 5: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I read Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. The novel tells the story of a spoiled rich teenager who falls overboard from an ocean liner and gets rescued by a crew mem..."

That sounds like an interesting book Rosemarie. Please let us know what you think.

message 6: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I have just finished A Battle Won. It was quite an exciting read with an interesting hero.

message 7: by Jenny, Certified Bookworm (new)

Sonia and Rose, those books both sound interesting! I am finally reading Pirate Lattitudes by Michael Crichton. It is a small misnomer as they are not pirates but privateers. It's set in the Carriaben see, about the English port of Jamicas Port Royale in the mid 1600's. It is quite exciting once they get on the water!

message 8: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I have read Captains Courageous. Thank you for the recommendation, Rosemarie - I enjoyed it.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4052 comments Mod
I am glad you enjoyed it, Trisha.