The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Tonight Show Summer Reads

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by terpkristin (last edited Jul 06, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

terpkristin | 4222 comments In order to keep the Roberator happy, here's a thread to discuss Tonight Show Summer Reads, which seems to be Children of Blood and Bone.

Jenny of Reading Envy fame posted in the Quick Burns thread about it. Kate said "I read it a month or two ago. It was good but not as good as I expected considering everyone raves about it. But I was able to get through it quick which was nice." Tasha asked, "My local libraries have crazy wait times for this one. I don't know. Should I buy it?"

I've procured a copy in Kindle format, though I might wait to finish my current audiobook and listen to it (any thoughts on the audio?).

Discuss it here. Or, you know, follow along with Fallon on Instagram or The Tonight Show Facebook page.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 433 comments CoBaB was the May 2018 pick for Vaginal Fantasy (It's not always smut.) Can confirm that the library wait times are long, up to a couple of months for some. Our spoilery thread is at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2898 comments I'm listening in audio so it's slow since I have a short commute. But the narrator does a good job, subtle differences between Zalie and the princess character. I've read so many Nigerian authors and books set in Lagos so I feel like I know the place, interesting to wrap my head around the diviners within that setting.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 78 comments I wouldn’t have recognized it except for listening to so many interviews about the Black Panther movie, but the narrator is using different African dialects to represent different tribes.

message 5: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1530 comments Reading it to my 14 yo son. He is enthralled so far.

message 6: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments I'm about 60% through the audio book. It feels to me like the POV's have a high dose of the inner monologue thing going on, which is starting(?) to annoy me.

message 7: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I just bought the book, but am currently reading several others. I'll start it soon though. I like inner monologue. That's not a strike against it in my book, but it hasn't even been delivered yet; so what do I know?

message 8: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments I finished. I gave it 3 stars. I liked the ending a lot more than the middle. My review, for what's it's worth (I'm bad at reviewing).

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've received the book, but haven't started it yet. I'm in a reading slump. :(

message 10: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Tasha wrote: "I've received the book, but haven't started it yet. I'm in a reading slump. :("

Help!

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8958 comments Tomi Adeyema was on The Tonight Show last night.

https://youtu.be/6dp8BcJuGnQ