We Read Stuff discussion

General > Movies (and TV)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Just a place to talk about movies. Everything from the Golden Years of Hollywood to Bollywood if you are so inlined. Have you seen the latest Summer Blockbuster Superhero movie or are 1980s Hong Kong Kung Fu movies more your scene?

Who are your favorite actors and who drives you to distraction?

Bonus Round

What are the best (and worst) Book to Movie adaptations?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) I have a story that has unfolded over 20+ years.

In 1996 there were reports that Wonder Woman was going to be made into a movie. I freely admit that in the 1970s as a young boy I had a serious crush on Lynda Carter and I was pretty happy they were making a Wonder Woman movie.

But nothing came of that announcement.

Around 2002 it was announced again and I thought, 'Finally! It's here!' Again nothing.

Must have been 2004 or 2005 a studio executive said 'Nobody would pay to see a female superhero'. That's when I boycotted all DC Superheroes. From reports I didn't miss out on anything, he regurgitated table scraps that were the Superman and Batman franchise haven't really lit any fires.

Over the years I kept to my boycott and honestly it hasn't been hard. I haven't felt like I was missing out on anything.

Finally last year Wonder Woman arrived and I sat in the theatre and watched it and completely loved it. My boycott continues but now I'm just refusing to watch any superhero films unless they have significant (and not objectified) female characters. The Bechdel Test is applied to pretty much all films these days and if they fail I don't feel the need to see them.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) I cop a lot of flak for this view.
I don't think Lord of the Rings is a all that good. Honestly I think it's as boring as batshit. It's ponderous and dull.
A lot of sci/fi and fantasy from that era is the same. C.S.Lewis wrote a sci/fi series before he died...I'm sure at the time they were great but they just don't really hold up well to the years.

So LotR is probably a great movie adaptation. All the boredom I felt reading the books is right up there on the big screen.

sigh.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 158 comments OK. The CS Lewis trilogy, minus Perelandra, is great. Not completely, and not as good as ,say, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, but great. At least in the "I have visual and emotional memories that stick with me from those books" sense.
I still occasionally get nightmare flashes of the rooms that are just wrong in That Hideous Strength.
I went to a Planet Hollywood once, and their bathroom was like that- no right angles, patterns just not quite matching, and it was deliberate, not shoddy craftsmanship. Creeped me out so much I never went back there.
I would love to see The first book made into a movie, if it was done well. The images in my mind would look really cool on a big screen. They could leave out all of the religious stuff though.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Jenny wrote: "OK. The CS Lewis trilogy, minus Perelandra, is great. "

Not very well known though. I think you're the first person I've ever met on GR who has read them.
If I'm honest Sci/Fi isn't really my thing and that probably has a lot to do with my antipathy towards the series.

That said, one of my absolute favorite authors has written a sci/fi A Name Among The Stars and I might give it a spin sometime in the future.

message 6: by Coll (new)

Coll | 54 comments My fav was uresela lie guin ... The adaptation to her book were animated but I loved how she touched based on certain aspects in life. .. Life knowing the way but having to feel it through the dark

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian (setaian) Studio Ghibli did Tales from Earthsea. Studio Ghibli do some great work. Howl's Moving Castle was an adaptation of a novel by Diana Wynne Jones and it's brilliant.

I kind of wish they would adapt The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street. I think they could be trusted with it and do it justice.