CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > W/o July 6 to 12, 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3569 comments Mod
Oops... apparently my holidays extended into spine crackers! My apologies for the later thread but hope others are enjoying the beautiful weather and some reading!!

What are your book choices this week? What is next?

message 2: by Shannon (new)

Shannon White | 198 comments Reading All The Crooked Saints this week for book club. So far it’s weird but other members seem to be rating it favourably .... we’ll see.

How do you add book links on iPad?

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 744 comments LOL, glad you're enjoying your vacation time, Susan!

This week I finished Hello, My Name is Henry and Dear Martin. Dear Martin is much like The Hate U Give in its themes, but I actually enjoyed it more and think it was better written (and I really liked The Hate U Give).

I also read The Story of Land and Sea, which has been sitting on my e-reader for a long time. It has a low Goodreads rating, but I loved it. It's a quiet, sad novel set in South Carolina in the late 18th century. The writing is beautiful.

I am currently reading Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo".

I'm trying to decide what's next for fiction. Most of my reading for the rest of the summer will be to prep for a book festival in late Aug, but there are so many authors to pick from that I am having trouble choosing!

Happy weekend, everyone!

message 4: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Jul 06, 2018 03:06PM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Tut-tut Susan!! Just kidding, but I am glad you remembered before the day was out! It seems you are enjoying those holidays almost as much as I enjoy my exclamation points!

And to the other Susan, your talk of Dear Martin has me intrigued.

I've had a terrific reading week. One in which I'm reminded of the best part of being a reader: discovering a book that just blows you away. We agree to reading the mediocre titles just to find those treasures, diamonds in the rough, that only come along now and again. This was my experience with Rebecca. Wow!

I'm also reading an ARC of Her Pretty Face, which comes out next week I think. I need to compare the details a little further, but I will be commenting on the similarities between the plot and Karla Homolka in my review. The author definitely drew inspiration from her story for this novel.

Now that I'm done with Rebecca, I'm listening to The President Is Missing. Although for the life of me, I'm not sure why. I don't enjoy James Patterson, and American politics and sensational journalism are generally not my thing. I guess I'm in it for the hype, just like everyone else!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1643 comments Shannon wrote: "Reading All The Crooked Saints this week for book club. So far it’s weird but other members seem to be rating it favourably .... we’ll see.

How do you add book links on iPad?"

Unfortunately the app doesn't have that feature but you can go to the regular site through Safari. It's a bit cumbersome on an iPad though.

message 6: by ❀ Susan (new)

It has been a great week off but i have not done too much reading. I am almost done Cat's Eye. It is a quiet novel with her beautiful descriptive prose but it has been a slow read for me. My book club has read it and many had difficulty finishing it.

I am still listening to the The Plant Paradox: The Hidden Dangers in "Healthy" Foods That Cause Disease and Weight Gain and while it has some good ideas, I am struck by the lack of peer reviewed research and some of the comments that author shares like "facts" when they are well disputed by others. I will finish it as i have invested a few hours already.

I still have the library pile looking at me and a season ending swim meet this weekend which will end the season so don't expect to do much more reading. I am also volunteering for a "royal tea" this weekend as a fundraiser for our local Imagination Library so am happy to be involved with that.

message 7: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Now that I'm done with Rebecca, I'm listening to The President Is Missing. Although for the life of me, I'm not sure why. I don't enjoy James Patterson, and American politics and sensational journalism are generally not my thing. I guess I'm in it for the hype, just like everyone else!
@ Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺,, sounds like we have the opposite opinions about the 2 books :) Although I can't imagine listening to The President Is Missing, Lol!

message 8: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments Howdy everyone!!

This week I finished The President Is Missing in paper and Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City in audio. The former is a fast read and exciting . The latter is so difficult and depressing, but an incredible study on eviction and homelessness in America.

Enjoying The Count of Monte Cristo and The Story of a New Name. Also have Ayesha At Last, which is a debut novel by a Toronto Muslim writer. It is part of the Markham Library Read this summer.
Enjoy a beautiful weekend!

message 9: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 671 comments ❀ Susan wrote: "I am also volunteering for a "royal tea" this weekend as a fundraiser for our local Imagination Library so am happy to be involved with that. "

@Susan, that sounds like great fun!!

message 10: by Ann-Marie (new)

Ann-Marie | 158 comments Greats from the shore of Lake Superior!! Camping with the family and finding way less reading time than I assumed. I set up the hammock yesterday and am determined to lay it and read!! Have Three Day Road on the go but am so slow picking it up 10 pages at a time, I need a good 100 page run to really get into this novel. So far, it’s impressive.

To answer your question on last week’s thread Susan - we are in a trailer not a tent. Nothing fancy like the huge & elaborate ones I see at the park, a hybrid so blessed with a bathroom & not to sleep on the ground! We were on Manitoulin Island before here (stunning, must go back!), and will next head back along the Great Lakes trail to Killbear Park in Parry Sound.

We escaped heat wave up here - hoping it’s cooler where you all are!!

Happy reading!

message 11: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments @Ann-Marie I haven't seen it myself, but Manitoulin Island has the most impressive monument to Canadian women who served in World War Two. There are not just one, but five monuments. Most communities don't mention women at all. This is a personal beef with me and I'm constantly trying to get the 50,000 women who served in WW2 more recognition. You have to hand it to the volunteers of Manitoulin Island!

message 12: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments I finished The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood this week. Sheesh, the stuff that woman comes up with! I kept picturing a Cohen Brothers movie. My review is here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by ❀ Susan (new)

Lol - when she spoke at one book one Milton she said that she used real scenarios that she had seen in the news (I.e. the chickens)

message 14: by Mj (new)

Mj Am late to posting but like many others have been extremely busy and the heat wave seems to have created a bit of lethargy in me. lol

I finished Heart Berries: A Memoir by Terese Marie Mailhot. Different format for a memoir (a favourite genre of mine). Well written for a debut. Very promising author. Sad as Megan mentioned. The author's voice however is raw, vulnerable and fearless and her self-analysis and self-awareness incredible.....so I found the book to be quite hopeful.

Am currently reading 3 books. Unusual for me because I generally like to read one and finish.....but for whatever reason....that's how my recent mood has motivated me.

Am about 1/3 finished The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz - a police procedural that is keeping my interest and is also my first read by this acclaimed British author.

Am reading Certainty by Madeleine Thien. I am enjoying both her writing style and the story in her debut novel.

Am also reading A Place between the Tides: A Naturalist's Reflections on the Salt Marsh by Harry Thurston. I put it aside because I wanted to savour the book as I Iwas finding it too easy to read quickly . It is written by a Canadian naturalist who focuses on each month in a calendar year in a Nova Scotia locale. It's part observations of a naturalist and his memories growing up there. Thurston's writing is superb - soft and quiet and filled with life and information..

The first book I'm reading is for fun and a palate cleanser. The latter two books are for my 2018 Bingo Challenge - which is a bonus. I would enjoy both books as stand alone books that I was reading for no particular challenge - just for pure enjoyment.

Hope everyone else has some lovely books in process. Have a great weekend and week ahead!!

message 15: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) | 91 comments Hi Bookish Friends! I am travelling a lot with my husband and frequently away on Fridays, so I don't get to join in as much as I'd like.

I've actually finished a LOT of books lately, due to all the waiting I do while travelling with Hubs. Not a bad thing, I'm not complaining!

I finished The Uncommon Reader and highly recommend this. It's short and comical and thoughtful and interesting. I finished it in one afternoon and went back to make notes about the lines I really liked.

I finished Dear Mrs. Bird which was an advance copy from NetGalley. It was treacly and light, but still had some substance. The ending was a little too pat, but I did love the main character. She was just so earnest. I know someone like that in real life, and it made me smile to think of the similarities.

I read Shadow Baby which is a novel from the early 2000's and has been sitting on my shelves for at least 10 years. It was given to me by an acquaintance and I wasn't sure about it, but it was so very good. I do highly recommend this one.

I bailed on a Marian Keyes novel and I see that there are two or three others on my shelves, so I think I will save myself the angst and just donate them all away. I don't do well with stories about people who make poor decisions and then whinge about how awful their lives are without taking any responsibility for getting themselves there. I don't do well with people like that in real life, either. I think I'm getting crotchety as I age.

I am currently enjoying A Thousand Days in Tuscany: A Bittersweet Adventure and I'm still struggling to get through Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference I'm more than 3/4 through the Gladwell and will finish it this week I think.

That's it for me, reading on the road as much as I can.

Cheers to all! Keep cool!
Cynthia

message 16: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 428 comments CynthiaA wrote: "Hi Bookish Friends! I am travelling a lot with my husband and frequently away on Fridays, so I don't get to join in as much as I'd like.

I've actually finished a LOT of books lately, due to all t..."

The Uncommon Reader is such a fun read.

message 17: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 207 comments My real book club discussed The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood today and everyone except me hated it. One member gave it a minus five out of ten! I gave it a 7 out of 10 for creativity and humor, while acknowledging my lack of empathy with any of the horrible characters.

message 18: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Elinor - haven't read The Heart Goes Last but I'm always miffed when people who rate a book poorly or absolutely hate a book it is because their rationale is "they didn't like the characters or in fact hated the characters."

If authors only wrote about likeable characters readers would miss out on so many great books. And readers would not learn very much about characters with a mean streak, who are psychopathic, non-empathetic etc. etc.

Such ratings seem so unfair to the author and his or her writing skills. I figure if someone develops characters that readers feel so strongly about (bad or good), it means the author's skills are excellent and "that's" what we should be rating when we choose numbers (high or low) to rate a book.

message 19: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 644 comments I read the Heart goes last when it was a series on Amazon. It wasnt bad. But it was under another name. So I bought this one not realizing it was the same.

Good thing I started it when I bought it so I could return it on Kindle. Wasnt impressed that it identify as a previously published series.

message 20: by Story (last edited Jul 13, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Story (storyheart) @Mj, I agree with you. It really irks me when people judge an author's skills based on whether or not the reader wants to be friends with the characters.

(Of course, it could be even worse...someone in another group I'm in gave a book a 1 star rating because the kindle version didn't load properly! )

@Elinor, I didn't find the characters in The Heart Goes Last so much unlikeable as desperate. I thought they were not particularly bright people coping as best they could with the pressures society put on them. It was my least favourite Atwood book though. I usually love her work but this one got a lukewarm 2.5 stars from me.

message 21: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Storyheart - didn't load??? thanks for the chuckle.

@ Rainey - good that you read the book early....and could return it. Would have been annoying to pay twice for the same book because the title was changed.