Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Killer Angels-5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8427 comments The Killer Angels 5 Stars

This is the story of the Civil War battle at Gettysburg. It doesn't matter how much you know about that war, or how many books you have read on the subject. This book will more than likely change how and what you think of when the Civil War is brought up.

The story of the 4 bloody days on a ridge in Pennsylvania is told through the eyes of the men who who fought there. Robert E Lee, James Longstreet, George Picket representing the Rebel South. Joshua L. Chamberlain, John Buford, George Mead, the Union men. But, we forget, most of these men knew each other, liked each other, considered themselves "brothers" before Secession.

Michael Shaara tells this story in such a captivating way, it will all be fresh and new . Although you know how it ends, you will wish, as some of these men did ,that it could have been different,

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments Loved this book! 5***** from me as well.

message 3: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments We were assigned to read this in high school, and it was one of the only books I was ever assigned to read that I actually enjoyed. If I ever decide to get into historical fiction, I will start with Michael Shaara.

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6397 comments Well, Michael Shaara died in 1988. His son, Jeff Shaara, took up the mantle, however and finished the Civil War Trilogy with Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure. He's gone on to write a number of other historical fiction works.