The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > 50 Shades of Gray fans are Voting. Are you?

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2018 04:39PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Every day I pick a few hashtags to see how many people are voting on twitter for various books. I don't think we can get any accurate numbers (if you know how, please speak up!), so I just scroll down the pages to see roughly how many posts or pages of posts I can see. Guess what I noticed:

Fans of 50 Shades of Gray are voting. A lot. And they're putting some effort into the posts to make them more interesting than the aqua colored gar posts.

Outlander, Dune, Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers, and Pride and Prejudice also have a lot of loyal voters. Of course, most of the online voting is done in secret, so some 50 Shades fans might vote in private and not tweet.

So if you don't vote, don't complain about the final result!

message 2: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments OK, fine - I'll vote, but it will be an uneducated vote b/c I haven't read ALL the books! However, if America picks 50 Shades of Gray, it will be yet another thing for my best UK friend to beat me over the head with, and there's already such a long list.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I decided to vote for Gatsby given it's from an American author and I like it.

Don't like those Brits bully you. I lived in England and there's just as many annoying things there as here. ;)

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Wow! That’s so interesting! Very few people are admitting in on-line reader groups that 50 Shades of Gray is their favorite. They probably don’t want to get bashed! If you don’t want it to win, start voting every day for something else!

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Ella wrote: "OK, fine - I'll vote, but it will be an uneducated vote b/c I haven't read ALL the books! However, if America picks 50 Shades of Gray, it will be yet another thing for my best UK friend to beat me ..."

Sorry Ella, I'm such a nag! I doubt anyone has read all the books, and I think you've read more than most. If you vote for your current favorites now, you can vote for new favorites later (and back off voting for the old favorites). Or to play it safe, just vote for every book you think is better than 50 Shades. hahaha

Seriously, it only takes a few minutes every day.

message 6: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Pam wrote: "Wow! That’s so interesting! Very few people are admitting in on-line reader groups that 50 Shades of Gray is their favorite. They probably don’t want to get bashed! If you don’t want it to win, sta..."

Hmm, maybe we bully them into silence. I try not to do that because I have some smart friends who like the book. My twitter search count is certainly not an accurate measurement (I don't know how it filters what I see), but it surprised me. (Also the pictures and quotes were more romantic than I thought they'd be.)

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Bruyere wrote: "I decided to vote for Gatsby given it's from an American author and I like it.

Don't like those Brits bully you. I lived in England and there's just as many annoying things there as here. ;)"

There are a lot of commonalities on the BBC and PBS lists. I think Great Gatsby did pretty well on their Big Read.

message 8: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Heheheh. So true about the Brits being as annoying as Americans - but don't let them hear that! I think the most unsettling thing about this whole hating Americans thing the rest of the world does is that I also don't admire some of these traits.

I was in line to see a castle in Europe, and there was a massive group of American tourists wearing cowboy hats and being very loud, eating snacks, walking over the places marked "don't walk on grass" etc. It was the sort of thing that made me want to pretend to be Canadian. But then I realized, "so what?" I was young, and very insecure. It was an enlightening moment.

Nancy - I was just kidding. I know I'm being silly. I doubt I'll ever read this whole list, but you're right. I should be voting for those I like. And it's actually been interesting how many of these I read just this year even before knowing the GAR was coming. When I turned 50, I decided it was time to start reading all those books I meant to read for the last 50 years.

message 9: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Ella wrote: "Heheheh. So true about the Brits being as annoying as Americans - but don't let them hear that! I think the most unsettling thing about this whole hating Americans thing the rest of the world does ..."

I've been doing the same thing. I'm thinking about all the things I should have learned in my youth but didn't (or forgot). My 60th birthday is coming up Sunday and it's got me thinking about all the things I want to do before it's too late. A Vikings Cruise catalog came today, and I want to go on all the cruises! I don't know if I could tolerate a three hour tour (cue music), much less a 12 day cruise. At this point I'd settle for a weekend touring NY City art museums.

message 10: by Linda (last edited Jul 06, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Ella wrote: "OK, fine - I'll vote, but it will be an uneducated vote b/c I haven't read ALL the books! However, if America picks 50 Shades of Gray, it will be yet another thing for my best UK friend to beat me ..."

I'm with you, Ella!
I'm not going to apologize for being a snob about it. There are classics there that have longevity, have lasted over 100 years. They are books that people slaved over for years, some with pen and ink, even, not the ability to chuck out 50 pages a day on a word processor, probably without much revision (from what I hear). I just can't consider that in any way equal to the longer, more substantial, and classic works.
A friend in my f2f book club once said, "If Javier Marias gets the Nobel, I'll become an ex-pat." That's kind of the way I feel about this list. If something from the realm of "pop fiction" wins this, for me, it undermines the whole thing, and I probably wouldn't pay a smidgen of attention to it the next time the project rolls around.

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Ella wrote: "Heheheh. So true about the Brits being as annoying as Americans - but don't let them hear that! I think the most unsettling thing about this whole hating Americans thing the rest of th..."

Happy Birthday, two days early!
I took a 1.25 hour cruise with a friend in town yesterday......got a sunburn, first of the season! When people come to visit, the things I never tire of doing/spending money on are sailboat harbor tours, and whale watching.

message 12: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Happy Birthday, Nancy!!!!! Take the day off from GR, please. I'll keep the kids from fighting ;-)

message 13: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Their categories for the 5 themed discussions are:

"Fall Kick Off" (Premieres Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8/7c)
"Who Am I?" (Premieres Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8/7c)
"Heroes" (Premieres Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8/7c)
"Villains and Monsters" (Premieres Tuesday, October 2, 2018 8/7c)
“What We Do For Love” (Premieres Tuesday, October 9, 2018 8/7c)
“Other Worlds” (Premieres Tuesday, October 16, 2018 8/7c)
"Grand Finale" (Premieres Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8/7c)

Does anyone get the sense that they already have the books planned out according to theme? (In which case, "50 Shades" would fall into "What we do for love" (?)

message 14: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2018 10:43AM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Their categories for the 5 themed discussions are:

"Who Am I?" (Premieres Tuesday, September 18, 2018 8/7c)
"Heroes" (Premieres Tuesday..."

Awesome. Where did you get this info? I'm sure they have it all mapped out. I saw a post on Facebook that referred to their Historical Fiction list.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Their categories for the 5 themed discussions are:

"Who Am I?" (Premieres Tuesday, September 18,..."

Same place where I got the other link :)
https://www.pbs.org/the-great-america...

message 16: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Still, I'm glad you put this thread here. It reminds me to get out and vote every single day, for anything but.

message 17: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Their categories for the 5 themed discussions are:

"Who Am I?" (Premieres Tuesday..."

Geez I've got that site up all the time but hadn't looked at the "about" page lately. Thanks!

Also, I know I signed up for the newsletter but I don't remember seeing it. I get a lot on Masterpiece though. I'll search my spam folder.

message 18: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Since I don't Tweet........
Can you see on Twitter who's in the lead? That, sadly, is info that the site does not give us.

message 19: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) I'm not that concerned about Fifty Shades winning. My thinking is that many people who chose it as their "favorite" book are not voracious readers who follow book programming, book blogs and apps, etc. and may not even know about the GAR. I just guessing that nominations were gathered in a "man on the street" style.

message 20: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Blueberry wrote: "I'm not that concerned about Fifty Shades winning. My thinking is that many people who chose it as their "favorite" book are not voracious readers who follow book programming, book blogs and apps, ..."

Well, supposedly they sought input for the nominations (I posted their "about" on another page). But, I don't know, it kind of burns me that people who normally aren't readers are going to determine this because they like to play on their phones and Facebook. Like when the organizer of my f2f lets someone who isn't much of a reader and only attends group to practice the language and go to lunch choose a book that the serious readers/regular attendees hate reading. It will seriously kill any future interest in the project for me, like I said, it'll just be another "Oprah's book club", with the exception that I "met" a lot of you.

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Blueberry wrote: "I'm not that concerned about Fifty Shades winning. My thinking is that many people who chose it as their "favorite" book are not voracious readers who follow book programming, book blogs and apps, ..."

I think you're right about that. They are coming up with some nice stuff on Twitter, but if they don't do it frequently it won't add up to much. Can you imagine if they did win though? Yikes.

Personally, I'm more concerned that Lord of the Rings might win, because I committed to read or reread whichever book wins. But maybe it would be good for me to read it. I fell asleep during the first movie, but assuming the book is better, I might be very pleasantly surprised.

message 22: by Kim (new)

Kim (skullfullofbooks) I think it would be interesting if Fifty Shades won. While I'm not a fan of it, I cannot ignore the sheer number of people who have read it. Everyone from my Grandmother to women too ashamed of the "scandalous" content to have the cover face up on the checkout lane wanted to consume it. Shoot, I read it at the time because a guy I was crushing on was reading it, and he didn't read many books. It may not be a classic for the ages, but it was definitely a book America read.

I did need the reminder to vote, though. Thanks for that!

message 23: by Linda (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Blueberry wrote: "I'm not that concerned about Fifty Shades winning. My thinking is that many people who chose it as their "favorite" book are not voracious readers who follow book programming, boo..."

huh. I thought that the most boring of them was the third one (The Two Towers). Too much war, too many battles.
Remember, the series was nominated as a way to keep the same author from being nominated 18 times.....so you could choose the one from the series that you think would be most interesting (for me, The Hobbit, and The Fellowship)

message 24: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne I have to admit I am really not surprised by this. I know a few people who are obsessed with this series. One friend has even flown across the country just to watch the movie multiple times. It is nutty. I have certainly not voted every single day for the same book and I don't think most people are doing that but it has the type of fan base that does that sort of thing.

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Roseanne wrote: "I have to admit I am really not surprised by this. I know a few people who are obsessed with this series. One friend has even flown across the country just to watch the movie multiple times. It is ..."

Agreed. Sci fi and fantasy folk can be a bit extreme in their fandom. Witness the recent Twitter storm about the latest episode in the Star Wars series.

message 26: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne I would not be surprised at all if it won. I personally am voting for War and Peace. I am 100% positive it doesn’t have the same sort of following.

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Roseanne wrote: "I would not be surprised at all if it won. I personally am voting for War and Peace. I am 100% positive it doesn’t have the same sort of following."

No, in spite of the fact that the LOTR series is just as long as that one novel.
I explained my snobbery to someone, saying "We're talking about someone's magnum opus, written over months or years, with pen and ink, for God's sake, not churned out in three weeks on a word processor............you've gotta give them credit for that.

message 28: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

You may be pleased to hear that The Count of Monte Cristo is getting a lot of twitter votes. I didn't see as many for War and Peace or Harry Potter when I searched those hashtags. I don't know if that is indicative of the overall votes of course.

message 29: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne Really? I would think Harry Potter would have a similar sort of fan base, the type that would make it a priority to vote every day.

message 30: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Roseanne wrote: "Really? I would think Harry Potter would have a similar sort of fan base, the type that would make it a priority to vote every day."

I think voting by Twitter doesn't start until later. Right now, you have to go to the website. Once people can vote with their phones, it'll get even crazier.

message 31: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "You may be pleased to hear that The Count of Monte Cristo is getting a lot of twitter votes. I didn't see as many for War and Peace or Harry Potter when I searched those hashtags. I don't know if t..."

I am (pleasantly :P ) surprised!

message 32: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Roseanne wrote: "Really? I would think Harry Potter would have a similar sort of fan base, the type that would make it a priority to vote every day."

I was thinking that too, but I realized it's been over 20 years since the first book came out. I read it back then with my son and it got him enthusiastic about reading again. My whole family was reading the books. Those kids are now busy with careers and families, or they've moved on to other books. The enthusiasm at the end (2011) was mainly for the films not the books. I assumed the old fans had it covered, but maybe they're all like me, voting for something else.

I suspect that a lot of people are voting online, but not on twitter. I hated twitter but I tried it for this project. There are a lot for tweets for Pride and Prejudice and LOTR. Pride and Prejudice has some very creative fans.

message 33: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Roseanne wrote: "Really? I would think Harry Potter would have a similar sort of fan base, the type that would make it a priority to vote every day."

I think voting by Twitter doesn't start until ..."

Twitter started right away. Facebook too. I wanted to try twitter for work related topics, but I never got around to it. So when this project came up I figured it's a good way to practice. I usually just vote, but I also found some interesting people to follow, and a photographer whose work I love. There are some very funny things there. I have to stop myself from reading and retweeting the political crap. Some of it is funny, but it can be a big time suck, not to mention raising my blood pressure. I forgot all about it tonight.

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather (bruyere) I love "The Count" but I have to say that I liked the movie ending better. The book ending was really kinda depressing.

message 35: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments *puts fingers in ears* LA la la! LA la la! Can't hear you! :P