SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Looking for recommendations, morally dubious woman or female monster as love interest

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments I would like a book featuring romance with a morally dubious, evil or a monster woman, just finished up reading Curse Workers series and To kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo, I would like more on this theme.

must have:
satisfying love story, HEA/HFN ending
a ending, no ongoing series

monsters
morally questionable woman as love interest
naive/idealistic male char
older woman love interest
physically(or magically, politically etc etc) stronger woman

dislikes:
triangle drama
more than 2 pov's
naive/idealistic female love interest
to abusive relationship

Not looking for erotica but its not completely out of the question either. Certainly do not mind explicit scenes.

heres a list of more books on this theme that I have liked so far:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

progress so far: https://www.goodreads.com/recommendat...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments How about: The Diabolic? Nemesis is not really human so she's sort of a monster. Definitely has questionable morals... not even sure she has morals.

It is part of a series.. but the first book works fine as a standalone. Read it last year and really enjoyed it.

message 3: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments Thanks for the recommendation! Definitely fits well enough, unfortunately I have already read it. I thought it was pretty good, the lgbt tag threw me off. Thought she would end up with the other person and so was pretty disappointed when that didn't happen. I inevitably end up rooting for the wrong one in any triangle drama thing, really annoying.

Let me know if you think of anything else.

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike You really need to have a bookshelf so we don’t keep recommending stuff you’ve already read.

The first thing that occurred to me was the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, but you’ve probably already read it. The Hum and the Shiver might also scratch that itch. See also Keeping It Real and similar books with not-so-nice elf girls in modern society.

BTW, the name for what you’re looking for is known as Monster Girls. Do a search for that and you’ll find hundreds of books to keep you busy.

message 5: by Dj (new)

Dj | 1972 comments A Nameless Witch A Nameless Witch A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez

message 6: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (blackfox92) | 12 comments Reboot. Wouldn't call the protagonist evil but she is a reanimated corpse/zombie so I guess kind of a monster and her love interest is definitively naïve and overly optimistic.
Anna Dressed in Blood. Protagonist is male is pretty much teenage ghostbuster and female love interest is a revengeful ghost that brutally slaughters people, so yeah, kind of evil.

message 7: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Brian wrote: "My next novel, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, is about a man who's in love with a woman infected with an alien nanotechnology that is transforming her body. Her bodily fluid would infect him, so they can't ev..."

you'll probably get zapped for spam - there are at least two subforums where you can promote your book

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Thanks CB! Exactly so :)

message 9: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments I was waiting for that lol

message 10: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Hey Time
Might I suggest the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club here on Goodreads. It was run by Felicia Day from Buffy and other shows. They love that sort of stuff. Maybe you should ask on there.

message 11: by Brian (new)

Brian Bandell | 8 comments CBRetriever wrote: "Brian wrote: "My next novel, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, is about a man who's in love with a woman infected with an alien nanotechnology that is transforming her body. Her bodily fluid would infect him, so ..."

Sorry. I didn't understand the rules. I thought it really did fit what he was looking for.

message 12: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Brian wrote: "Sorry. I didn't understand the rules. I thought it really did fit what he was looking for."

It's not about whether it fits the query. The rules clearly state:

"Authors must contain all discussion of their book or their writing process to the GoodReads Author's Discussion folder."

If you have further questions, please send a message to me or Allison.

Now let's continue with the recs!

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 35 comments I think you would like the relationship between Locke and Sabetha in the Gentleman Bastards series (starting with The Lies of Locke Lamora) although the romance is not the focus of the plot and Sabetha does not appear until the third book in the series, The Republic of Thieves

message 14: by Don (new)

Don Dunham does suggest that "The woman you're looking for is underrepresented in fiction".

message 15: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) The black jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop has an interesting female character and dark plot/love interests.

message 16: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments Trike wrote: "You really need to have a bookshelf so we don’t keep recommending stuff you’ve already read.

The first thing that occurred to me was the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, but you’ve probab..."

Yeah, I will get on that eventually, maybe. Mercy Thompson seams fairly similar to The Hollows without the whole rachel&ivy thing. I will keep it in mind, really want some male pov right now though. The Tufa series seams promising I'll probably give it a chance soon. Less sure about quantum gravity.

Dj wrote: "A Nameless Witch A Nameless Witch A Nameless Witch by A. Lee Martinez"

Seams like a fun romp, might read it when the mood strikes. Not quite what I'am after though. Looking for something more like horror, mystery, urban fantasy/sci-fi, historical or contemporary.

Kristy wrote: "Reboot. Wouldn't call the protagonist evil but she is a reanimated corpse/zombie so I guess kind of a monster and her love interest is definitively naïve and overly optimistic.
[boo..."

Looks good, does the love story come to a satisfying conclusion in Anna Dressed in Blood where the series stands right now or will I have to wait for later books?

Jacqueline wrote: "Hey Time
Might I suggest the Vaginal Fantasy Book Club here on Goodreads. It was run by Felicia Day from Buffy and other shows. They love that sort of stuff. Maybe you should ask on there."

I will take a look, thanks.

Brian wrote: "CBRetriever wrote: "Brian wrote: "My next novel, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, is about a man who's in love with a woman infected with an alien nanotechnology that is transforming her body. Her bodily fluid w..."

I would not mind a private message, I can't quite figure out which book you thought fit.

Jess wrote: "I think you would like the relationship between Locke and Sabetha in the Gentleman Bastards series (starting with [book:The Lies of Locke Lamora|29588376]) although the romance is not the focus of ..."

Another unfinished series here, I want the HEA or HFN ending.

Don wrote: "does suggest that "The woman you're looking for is underrepresented in fiction"."

It's pretty difficult to find is all I know.

Leticia wrote: "The black jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop has an interesting female character and dark plot/love interests."

About that bookself thing..... I read a few of them before I gave up. Kept hoping for some major change but it never came. To many things I didn't like. The romances were not very satisfying and the women were to innocent, the good ones that is. And just in general the relationships between men and women was just a bit to weird in a bad way.

Here are some examples of the relationships in looking for:
Jaibriol & Tarquine in The Moon's Shadow
Oskar & Eli in Let the Right One In
Eugenides & the queen of Attolia in The Queen's Thief Series
Vittorio & Ursula in Vittorio the Vampire

Certain Dark Things was pretty good, had it recommended to me over at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Anyways the search continues.

message 17: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4625 comments Time wrote: "Brian wrote: "CBRetriever wrote: "Brian wrote: "My next novel, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, is about a man who's in love with a woman infected with an alien nanotechnology that is transforming her body. Her bodily fluid w..."."

Brian was spamming his book

message 18: by BobJosh (new)

BobJosh | 15 comments Mind if I ask what HEA/HFN stands for?

message 19: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments happily ever after/happy for now

message 20: by Time (new)

Time | 28 comments https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

17 so far, still want more