The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > Which books do you think will be in the top 10 or 20?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 06, 2018 09:48AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Which books do think will do best in the voting, and why? This could be based on a book's longtime reputation, other lists, or on what you're seeing online, or hearing in public. (There is a separate question on which books you WANT to win.)

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

The first book I thought of when I heard about this list was
To Kill a Mockingbird. It's so well regarded, it should be at or near the top. Though Watchmen might have put a damper on the love for Atticus Finch, so that could hurt it

Pride and Prejudice
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

in the top 20
Based on a quick review of twitter votes (I don't know how to get actual counts, so I've searched many myself. Some of these books have a lot of fans voting and encouraging one another, and posting interesting creative posts to attract attention:

Dune
Hitchhiker's Guide
Outlander

AND AHEM,
50 Shades of Gray
Twilight

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments I´m surprised that people who love the last two know what PBS is, frankly, and it´s my only hope for this project, If something like those two wins, I´m doing with this overgrown ¨Oprah Book Club¨ project, even though I have enjoyed the company of you fine folks.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "I´m surprised that people who love the last two know what PBS is, frankly, and it´s my only hope for this project, If something like those two wins, I´m doing with this overgrown ¨Oprah Book Club¨ ..."''

So what do you think will win, or SHOULD win?

I find this list more varied than Oprah's picks, with both better books and worse books.

message 5: by Linda (last edited Jul 08, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "I´m surprised that people who love the last two know what PBS is, frankly, and it´s my only hope for this project, If something like those two wins, I´m doing..."

More varied in that they are attempting to reach all audiences, whereas Oprah's target audience was a smaller demographic. Just.....please, God, let it be something with some good writing and some literary value, even if it's not something I like. For example, I've never been a fan of Catcher in the Rye, but if it won, I would be less disturbed than if "Twilight" won. Excuse me, gonna go vote again! :D