Into the Forest discussion

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (Fairyland, #1)
Previous Group Reads > Girl Who Circumnavigated - Spoilers Allowed

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
A place to discuss the book with spoilers.

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 5 comments I’ve read the first 3 chapters, and while I’m intrigued, I’m not really invested. I’m not sure I’m a fan of the ‘series of supporting characters’ method - then again, since I’m only 3 chapters in, it’s quite possible the characters will show up again... I’m not stopping the read, by any stretch. Like I said, I’m intrigued.

Margaret | 3767 comments Mod
Some of them stay, some are only mentioned briefly again. A through L is a regular companion! And 2 of the books in the series have different povs.

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 5 comments Read through to the interlude and I have to say, I was pleased to see A Through L come and stay :-) There are quite a few threads knitting together now - all the different ‘rules’ are coming into play, and they have just reached Pandemonium.

message 5: by Carole (new)

Carole Weave-lane (writingnamecaroleweave-lane) | 104 comments I too have read four chapters. I will not comment yet as it is taking me a while to absorb it.

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 5 comments Up to Chapter 14.
It’s just not gripping me. Maybe I’m not digging deep enough or something, but its just not.
I was amused at the oblique references to Narnia and Wonderland and Oz, I don’t understand the purpose of Saturday and far too many characters are without backbone. Although, maybe that’s representative of the world around us??
I will get through the final 20 percent of this, but it won’t be a 5 star read for me, or even a 4 star, unless something magnificent happens or I have a sudden 2am revelation of all the things I’m missing in the subtext.

message 7: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4539 comments Mod
Bree wrote: "Up to Chapter 14.
It’s just not gripping me. Maybe I’m not digging deep enough or something, but its just not.
I was amused at the oblique references to Narnia and Wonderland and Oz, I don’t unders..."

I'll admit I never finished it. I just can't get into Valantes writing. I want to because so many of my Goodreads friends who usually have similar taste love her, but I've tried about 4 books and I just don't.

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 5 comments Whew! It’s not just me!!
I’m glad because I was feeling a little like an uneducated yokel for a moment there!!

She's really hit or miss for readers. I always hesitate before recommending her because while I love her writing, I know several people who do not. At all.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
Same. And I usually add a caveat that she's somewhat of an acquired taste. I love her work, but I completely understand why so many have the opposite reaction.

message 11: by Asaria (last edited Jul 20, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Asaria | 681 comments Margaret wrote: "She's really hit or miss for readers. I always hesitate before recommending her because while I love her writing, I know several people who do not. At all."

I belong to that group. I gave her a chance many times. "Deathless" was the closest to make it, but made me feel very uneasy along the way so I dropped it around the middle part.

Melanti wrote: "Same. And I usually add a caveat that she's somewhat of an acquired taste. I love her work, but I completely understand why so many have the opposite reaction."

Acquired taste? I'd polemize :)

message 12: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4539 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "She's really hit or miss for readers. I always hesitate before recommending her because while I love her writing, I know several people who do not. At all."

Asaria wrote: ".I belong to that group. I gave her a chance many times. "Deathless" was the closest to make it, but made me feel very uneasy along the way so I dropped it around the middle part.."

Deathless is the only one I finished. I did not hate it, but I also did not love it. It was just okay for me. There were parts I found more interesting than others.
I read about half of In the Night Garden. I would have finished it, but it was a library book and I had to return it and could not renew it. Same as Deathless. there were parts I like more than others.

The rest I've tried including our group read, I could not make it past a few chapters.

message 13: by Asaria (last edited Jul 20, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Asaria | 681 comments Lila wrote: "Deathless is the only one I finished. I did not hate it, but I also did not love it. It was just okay for me. There were parts I found more interesting than others.
I read about half of In the Night Garden. I would have finished it, but it was a library book and I had to return it and could not renew it. Same as Deathless. there were parts I like more than others."

You know, I didn't hate Deathless back then. Only Maria's and Koschei's relationship seemed abusive to me. And there was one more reason I can't recall any longer.

The only Valente's book I finished is The Melancholy of Mechagirl. I was so enraptured that nowadays I don't remember what it's about. Bored me to death.

message 14: by Bree (last edited Jul 20, 2018 09:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 5 comments Okay so finally managed to get through the last 20 percent of this. It’s very clearly aimed at a younger audience than me, because I detected no subtext at all.
I did figure out that (view spoiler)
I gave this book a 3.5 stars, upping it to 4, because it was inventive and imaginative, and all the parts fitted together. However, I was a bit peeved at the setup for the next story in the last two chapters.

I love Valente because of the way she merges poetry with prose. The sentences are just as important as the plot and characters. It's rare to find writers who do that nowadays.

Asaria wrote: "The only Valente's book I finished is The Melancholy of Mechagirl. I was so enraptured that nowadays I don't remember what it's about. Bored me to death. ."

The Melancholy of Mechagirl is a collection of short story retellings of Japanese folklore, as well as memoir about her time living in Japan with an abusive husband and losing a child. I loved it. By far my favorite of her short story collections. :)

And the relationship between Maria and Koschei in Deathless was definitely abusive. That was one of the themes. It's a darker retelling.

message 16: by Suki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments I loved The Girl Who. I adored so many of the characters that September met throughout the book (especially A-Through-L)! I hope he turns up in the sequels-- I really want to know how things turn out for him.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I'm glad you liked it! And, yes, A-Through-L does return in the rest of the series.

A-Through-L is one of my favorite characters.