Into the Forest discussion

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
Retellings > Bloody Chamber - Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christine (chrisarrow) | 1390 comments Mod
A thread for the book without spoilers.

Margaret | 3763 comments Mod
This is the book that restarted my love for fairy tales as an adult. I've read it maybe half a dozen times. I won't be re-reading, but I'm looking forward to joining the discussions.

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments I can echo Margaret's comment. This was also my first ever book club read, when I went to a feministish book club in Bethnal Green when I lived in Ealing. I ended up becoming a feminist, bookclubber, and resident of Bethnal Green, so I count The Bloody Chamber as a turning point in my life haha. Angela Carter is one of my five favourite authors (with Octavia Butler, Thomas King, Ngugi wa Thiong'o and Ursula Le Guin).

I've only read one other book by Angela Carter -- The Passion of New Eve, which I found incredibly strange! I have several of her other books though, and keep meaning to read more. What's your favorite, Zanna?

I also would count UKL as a favorite author, and really enjoy Butler. I have a Thomas King novel but haven't read it yet. And I hadn't heard of Thiong'o!

Zanna (zannastar) | 245 comments I've got lots to read yet, but my favourite was Nights at the Circus. I remember how confused and weirded out I was when I first started reading The Bloody Chamber. It was a bit like the first time I ate an olive (the strongest, bitterest kind) and was astonished and couldn't stand it, but little by little acquired the taste for them more and more. Another novel we read in that group was The Bluest Eye which provoked a similar (though warmer) initial reaction followed by love

Zanna wrote: "I've got lots to read yet, but my favourite was Nights at the Circus. I remember how confused and weirded out I was when I first started reading The Bloody Chamber. It was a bit like ..."

Nights at the Circus is top on my list to read of hers. That sounds like a fantastic class!

message 7: by Elysia (new) - added it

Elysia | 11 comments wow, I can't believe this group is reading Bloody Chamber. the story, The Company of Wolves, was what brought my attention to Angela Carter.

This passage felt a bit lyrical to me, and I loved-well, I can't say because it's a spoiler. But, the adult characterization or rather transformation of women is interesting in this book. I love it-I really want to read this book more, but I'm in the midst of school related stuff. :( I wish my professor showed me more than this one story from Angela Carter. But, one day...one day...

Elysia wrote: "This passage felt a bit lyrical to me, and I loved-well, I can't say because it's a spoiler. "

Feel free to go to the spoiler thread to discuss spoilers!

I read The Bloody Chamber multiple times in grad school. "The Company of Wolves" is one of my favorite stories in the collection -- maybe my favorite.

What are some other people's favorite short stories in this collection?

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 25 comments I love Angela Carter's stories-- you can always count on a dark twist! The Bloody Chamber was my particular favorite in this collection-- even when I was little, the Bluebeard story held a certain fascination for me.

Suki wrote: "I love Angela Carter's stories-- you can always count on a dark twist! The Bloody Chamber was my particular favorite in this collection-- even when I was little, the Bluebeard story held a certain ..."

That's one I continuously think about. It's so subtle. I love that ending!

message 11: by mark (last edited Sep 24, 2018 11:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 2 comments I love this collection, as I love the author. was hoping to fit in a reread (would actually be a 3rd read) but didn't get to it. I think the story I like the best is the title story.

I actually got into Carter through the film adaptation of the story "Company of Wolves". one of my favorites as a teen, watched it again and again.

I haven't seen Company of Wolves. That story is my favorite in the collection. I love how dark and lyrical it is.

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Margaret wrote: "What are some other people's favorite short stories in this collection?"

I like the dark takes best. According to my review and reading notes, when I read this back in 2015, "The Bloody Chamber" was my favorite of the collection and one of the best Bluebeard tales I'd read. Runner up was "The Werewolf" because LRRH is still one of my fave tales.

Jalilah | 4533 comments Mod
I've seen parts on YouTube https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iU6diUt...

message 15: by mark (new) - rated it 5 stars

mark monday (majestic-plural) | 2 comments It features Angela Lansbury as Granny!

I have a really awesome old edition of this book, with a lovely cover! Here's the cover: https://pictures.abebooks.com/isbn/97...

message 17: by Margaret (last edited Sep 25, 2018 08:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wow, I just looked at the price for this edition on ABE books. I'm really regretting underlining my favorite passages now.

(It's worth 250-500. I can't believe I didn't check that before I marked all in it and lugged it to grad school to show the funky cover to everyone, thus tearing the cover.)

Kelsey | 84 comments I noticed no one ever commented in the spoilers thread for this book, but I finished this a while ago, and since it was my first time reading Angela Carter, it felt a bit like a literary rite of passage. There was a lot to process, but in a good way. :)

I consider it a literary rite of passage, particularly for fairy tales, but I know there are some group members who don't like it. (I love it.)

Do you have a particular story (or stories) that is sticking with you?

Kelsey | 84 comments Margaret wrote: "I consider it a literary rite of passage, particularly for fairy tales, but I know there are some group members who don't like it. (I love it.)

Do you have a particular story (or stories) that is ..."

(view spoiler)

That's funny, I don't even remember "The Snow Child."

I love the werewolf stories. And I love wolves. Bit I also understand where you're coming from!

Your favorites are great stories that I rarely hear anyone list as their favs! That's great!

message 22: by Frank (new)

Frank Garland | 4 comments I'd been spooked by The Company Of Wolves movie back in the eighties, but hadn't realised it was Angela Carter's work until a friend recommended The Bloody Chamber after she caught me making a wolf headdress for a photo shoot. Reading it reminded me to revisit Eudora Welty's Southern take on The Robber Bridegroom, which I then realised seeded the fairy tale reinventions of the next generation and influenced my ideas more than a decade after reading it. Someone on the internet compared both those books with Helen Oyeyemi's Boy, Snow, Bird, which I found recently, but haven't got around to reading yet.

Ooh, I haven't read Eudora Welty's The Robber Bridegroom.

I really enjoyed Boy, Snow, Bird. It does have poor trans representation, but I still liked the other things Oyeyemi does.

message 24: by Frank (new)

Frank Garland | 4 comments You'll wonder why you've never seen a film of it - though there was a Broadway musical of it in the seventies. All Welty's novels are great, but this is her only folk tale, and just the most perfect book.

Frank wrote: "You'll wonder why you've never seen a film of it - though there was a Broadway musical of it in the seventies. All Welty's novels are great, but this is her only folk tale, and just the most perfec..."

I will check it out! I may nominate it for a group read.

Amanda | 246 comments Frank wrote: "I'd been spooked by The Company Of Wolves movie back in the eighties, but hadn't realised it was Angela Carter's work until a friend recommended The Bloody Chamber after she caught me making a wolf..."

I've just started reading Boy, Snow, Bird (Oyeyemi). Only two chapters in but it's looking promisingly quirky.

Not come across Welty before, but I like the sound of her Southern take on The Robber Bridegroom. Added it to my list of To Reads.

Thanks for the suggestions.

message 27: by Frank (new)

Frank Garland | 4 comments Amanda wrote: "Frank wrote: "I'd been spooked by The Company Of Wolves movie back in the eighties, but hadn't realised it was Angela Carter's work until a friend recommended The Bloody Chamber after she caught me..."

I've still got Oyeyemi under a big heap of books. I'll get to it one day!

Jalilah | 4533 comments Mod
I really enjoyed Oyemi’s Icarus girl! It seemed amazing that she was so young when she wrote it, only 18 or 19 I think. I definitely want to read more of her!

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Frank wrote: "Reading it reminded me to revisit Eudora Welty's Southern take on The Robber Bridegroom..."

Margaret wrote: "I will check it out! I may nominate it for a group read. "

I hadn't heard of this one before. I'd read The Robber Bridegroom by Eudora Welty if it won a group read.

Jalilah wrote: "I really enjoyed Oyemi’s Icarus girl! It seemed amazing that she was so young when she wrote it, only 18 or 19 I think. I definitely want to read more of her!"

I plan to read The Icarus Girl even though my first experience (Boy, Snow, Bird) didn't end well. White is for Witching also looks good.