The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge discussion

Madame Bovary
This topic is about Madame Bovary
Book Discussions > Madame Bovary

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Quarter 3 Re-read is Madame Bovary. I'll be leading the discussion. Also is my first time reading so I'm excited. Who's in?

message 2: by Amaka (new) - added it

Amaka Nzeadibe I am!!
Any Pre-Read questions?

Windy | 44 comments I am definitely in! I've been hoping this would be our reread for a while now.

Cathrine | 14 comments I'm in! I just bought my copy in this beautiful edition: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert . I've been wanting to read this for a long time. I remember reading some excerpts from this when I was in high school, but I've never read the whole book.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Yay! Will be posting pre-read questions tonight. Just wanted to get this thread open. Can't wait to start. Got my copy yesterday:-)

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lindsay  | 29 comments This will be my first time as well. I've been wanting to reading this for awhile.

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (debblett) I'm in! Excited about this one

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Ok so I just started. Was anyone else confused how that started?

Sharri Delk | 9 comments I finished 'Madame Bovary,' a few days ago. I can't wait to discuss when we are all finished.

message 10: by Cathrine (last edited Jul 13, 2018 07:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cathrine | 14 comments I just started the book as well. I'm not really sure what I expected from the start, but I'm only 30 pages into it, and already so many things have happened that just that could have filled a whole book. I'm guessing it's just back-story at this point, and that soon the plot will slow down a bit.

Sharri Delk | 9 comments It does take a major turn after the drama in the beginning. A whole new story lines starts!

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Good to know!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up, on vacay in NC til Wednesday. Trying to do everything in the app and it's not easy. Will catch up Wednesday night/Thursday midday when I have my computer back

message 13: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Johnson | 323 comments Mod
Holly wrote: "Good to know!

Sorry I haven't been keeping up, on vacay in NC til Wednesday. Trying to do everything in the app and it's not easy. Will catch up Wednesday night/Thursday midday when I have my com..."

Yeah, the app kinda sucks for some things. You can't see any of the bookshelf stuff and it's hard to be a part of discussions when they don't show you all of them.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Alright, now that I've been reunited with my computer I can post without typing on little buttons on a phone! I'm almost done with Part 1, so I'm posing this question for those who have started to read yet (hide spoilers please if you think it could spoil part one for anyone who hasn't started yet),

How do you feel about the relations between Charles and the three women in his life?

message 15: by Stephanie (new) - added it

I have finished the books that I was reading and I'm ready to start reading it! I got it from the library a few weeks ago. I'm hoping that I can renew it so I can finish it.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
How's everyone doing on the book?

I'm personally found part one to be quite a challenge to get through. Part 2 is proving to be a bit more readable. What are your thoughts?

Windy | 44 comments As I read, I found Charles overly trusting and weak-willed with the women in his life as well as everyone else. He came across as a mindless pushover. Despite this, he was probably the most moral and sincere character in the book.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Windy, I agree. He almost seems as if he doesn't care about marriage, but more the status of marriage. I also see him as a momma's boy, which you can tell causes major issues with his wife.

Frau Spätzle (soenne) Holly wrote: "How's everyone doing on the book?

I'm personally found part one to be quite a challenge to get through. Part 2 is proving to be a bit more readable. What are your thoughts?"

I find this book so utterly boring, I'm actually forcing myself to finish it just for the sake of the reading list. I'm about 25% in and I simply can't relate to any of the characters - never mind the non-existing plot...

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Sönne wrote:

I find ..."

Sonne, part 2 is much more readable and the plot grows. I'm almost finished with the book and I'm not finding it an absolute chore to read. Actually I want to scream at her to just leave her husband and go run off with her lover.

Frau Spätzle (soenne) Holly wrote:
Sonne, part 2 is much more readable and the plot grows. I'm almost finished with the book and I'm not finding it an absolute chore to read. Actually I want to scream at..."

So, I've just finished the book - still no fan, but you were right, it got a bit more readable from the second part onwards. Still, I've rarely read a book with so few likeable characters. The way Emma is portrayed is so typical of the times - can she not just be lovesick like a normal person? No, she has to catch "brain fever" and almost die and then recover by spending far more money than she and her husband have.

Also, what really annoyed me that the story wasn't really written from her point of view - even the parts which used her as focalizer... Well, well, no more than 2 stars from me.

message 22: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Im mot relating to the characters either. You would think I would have gotten further but I don't seem to be able to push myself to read it.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
I think I was hoping for more romance in the book and that fell short given the time period it was written. I agree it's a tough book to read. The one thing I did like about it was that it did show the conflict she had with being a mistress. I almost felt that she really struggled with that. She didn't like her marriage but also seems to waiver about cheating on her husband. She'd go do it, but it almost seemed like she was remorseful in some regards the way the author would discuss her wanting to end it with her lover.

message 24: by Stephanie (new) - added it

I had to turn the book back in to the library and it has a waitlist so I'm about halfway (60% or so I think) done with it. I'm not impressed so far but I will finish it, because that's just who I am.

On a separate note if you start reading a book and you don't like it but its on the list do you check it off if you didn't finish but you tried?

message 25: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine van Putten (jeanine1984) | 38 comments I did with one book, but I kept feeling bad about nog finishing it so I started reading it again and now I will finish it even though I don't like it and from now on I choose to do that with every book I read.

Holly | 232 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "I had to turn the book back in to the library and it has a waitlist so I'm about halfway (60% or so I think) done with it. I'm not impressed so far but I will finish it, because that's just who I a..."

I may put it down for a while and then try again later. I hated To Kill a Mockingbird when I was younger (probably because I was forced to read it in Jr High) but loved it as an adult. I've read it 3 times in the last 10 years. I think sometimes it's not about it being a "bad book" it's about you're not ready for it yet.

Chelsea Harjo | 8 comments I HAVE to finish every boom I start, I think it’s a sickness lol. Usually though, I give it about 30%, then if I don’t like it or it becomes hard to read, i’ll finish it with the audiobook version. As far as this book goes, I really liked the beginning, until about a third of the way through and I got a little bored with Emma’s restlessness. I started to enjoy it again towards the end when things started to fall apart.

message 28: by Rebecca (last edited Apr 29, 2020 02:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rebecca (becstokes) | 38 comments I've read this month's group reads, so I'm going back to catch up on ones that I've missed. Have just started Madame Bovary - has been on my TBR list for a loooong time. So excited! I'm listening to the audio version.

Caroline (carolinerudolph) | 49 comments Hello all! I'm so late to the game for this one, but I found the only one reference that I could find to Madame Bovary in Gilmore girls! It was when Rory met Dean. The GIF and commentary are here: https://www.seecaroread.com/post/mada...

I'd love to know if you guys found any more?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Madame Bovary (other topics)