Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > What Horror Film Scared You Senseless?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Alan (new)

Alan Toner | 69 comments What horror film absolutely scared you senseless when you first saw it?

message 2: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I saw the original Japanese version of Ring when I was 17 and have never been quite the same since.

message 3: by Alan (new)

Alan Toner | 69 comments Have never seen the Japanese version. Have the American one with Naomi Watts on DVD, plus the sequel, which I deemed not as good.

message 4: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I've seen both and prefer the Japanese, but unlike most remakes there's not a massive difference in quality between the two.

message 5: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3407 comments Mod
I don't watch the really gory slashfest kind of movies so what scares me probably seems a bit mild.
I recently saw The Autopsy of Jane Doe and thought that was really creepy.

message 6: by Anita (new)

Anita (neet413) | 777 comments Hell House LLC was creepy. The Possession of Michael King stayed with me for a few days.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments Benjamin wrote: "I saw the original Japanese version of Ring when I was 17 and have never been quite the same since."

That one scared the crap out of me. After watching it, I kept checking my bedroom closet to make sure nothing was in there.

message 8: by Benjamin (last edited Jul 07, 2018 10:07PM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Erin wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I saw the original Japanese version of Ring when I was 17 and have never been quite the same since."

That one scared the crap out of me. After watching it, I kept checking my bedr..."

I'm hoping you never found any distorted corpses?

WendyB wrote: "I don't watch the really gory slashfest kind of movies so what scares me probably seems a bit mild.
I recently saw The Autopsy of Jane Doe and thought that was really creepy."

I enjoyed that one! Nothing ground-breaking but very effective.

message 9: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan The Exorcist, and I was in my twenties.

The Evil Dead (I couldn't watch it)

Salem's Lot with David Soul - I believed in vampires for at least a week after that one.

message 10: by Dave (new)

Dave Richardson | 6 comments 100 percent agree with Salem's lot only film that ever scared me as a kid

message 11: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Those vampires struck me as essentially blood sucking, demonically possessed ghosts....

And "Danny Glick," scratching at the window, filled with blood lust and just, "wanting to come in..."

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill (shiftyj1) | 4890 comments I watched The Omen when I was about 9yrs old. It was on Showtime and my parents let me watch it before they previewed it. I was completely traumatized.

message 13: by coolseraz (new)

coolseraz | 26 comments The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Thing, Rec.

message 14: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan The original "The Thing," with Kurt Russell is a classic.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mattical) | 566 comments Pet Sematary scared the hell out of me. The Shining really freaked me out too. I think I watched them both when I was 8 years old. Hereditary was pretty damn frightening too.

message 16: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7685 comments Benjamin wrote: "Erin wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "I saw the original Japanese version of Ring when I was 17 and have never been quite the same since."

That one scared the crap out of me. After watching it, I kept che..."

I did not, thankfully.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Williams (thewrongwriter) | 48 comments I watched the first Saw movie in the middle of the night, during college finals. Figured it would help keep me up to finish studying. It did.

Fatigue was partially to blame; in general I'm fairly meh about gory movies. The first one at least had intriguing psychology behind it.

message 18: by Perry (new)

Perry Lake | 325 comments Graeme wrote: "The original "The Thing," with Kurt Russell is a classic."

It's a great movie, Graeme, but it's not the original. It's a remake of a 1951 movie. It was... OK.

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Poltergeist II with Reverend Kane. One of the eeriest characters I've ever seen on TV. Joey, an evil ventriloquist doll come to life (that was quite a shocker when being a kid).

message 20: by Nicos (new)

Nicos | 123 comments As a kid
Creepshow - The story with the roaches. What an ending. Yuck.
Creepshow 2 - The story with the hitchhiker.
Tales from the Darkside - The episode with the tiny closet.
CHUD - When the poodle gets dragged in to the manhole.

As an adult, I haven't been scared senseless but there are plenty of times I have been genuinely creeped out and images or scenes have lingered with me.
The Ring (American vers) - This one really got under my skin and stayed with me. Just thinking about a TV suddenly turning on gave me the willies for a while.
The Grudge (American vers) - The movement and sound of the female ghost. Particuarly when Sarah Michelle Gellar goes to leave and it just slides down from the top of the door and is making that sound.
Lovely Molly - The ending of the movie when the main character walks out in to the yard.
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh - There is a "demon" that shows up in the movie and that thing just creeps me right the hell out.
Prince of Darkness - The figure emerging from the church in the video. Both of them!

message 21: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Perry wrote: "Graeme wrote: "The original "The Thing," with Kurt Russell is a classic."

It's a great movie, Graeme, but it's not the original. It's a remake of a 1951 movie. It was... OK."

Ahh, yes, indeed.

message 22: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments The Exorcist when I was 11 in 1980. Couldn't sleep for weeks. Its still my favourite film now. Modern horrors dont scare me much although I still bloody love em. Starting to watch more Asian ones now which are very good. Loved "The Wailing".

message 23: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Steve wrote: "The Exorcist when I was 11 in 1980. Couldn't sleep for weeks. Its still my favourite film now. Modern horrors dont scare me much although I still bloody love em. Starting to watch more Asian ones n..."
Hi Steve, I even went to see the director's cut version to see some additional new shocking scenes. You're absolutey right. That is an alltime classic!

message 24: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments That Spider walk is damn freaky even now.

The corridor scene in Exorcist 3 is pretty scary too. Forget about Exorcist 2 as that was garbage. Exorcist 3 is based on Blaty's follow up to The Exorcist called Legion.

RIP William Peter Blaty

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Steve wrote: "That Spider walk is damn freaky even now.

The corridor scene in Exorcist 3 is pretty scary too. Forget about Exorcist 2 as that was garbage. Exorcist 3 is based on Blaty's follow up to The Exorci..."

Yes it is and the turning of the head. The old priest in form of actor Max von Sydow is brilliant. The first installment of The Exorcist series is the best. I was so enthusiastic about the movie that I had to read the book to get even more scary details.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments I honestly can't think of any. And I'm not trying to act tough as I'm the biggest wimp around. But the tricks my mind plays are scarier than films.

For years when I was a teenager I was terrified of Chucky from Childs Play. I think I must have been in my mid 20's before I was brave enough to watch the film. The Chucky that lives in my head is way scarier than the film version.

The idea of IT Follows really creeps me out if I think about it. You can never escape from that evil that wants to get you!

My boyfriend was really scared of the original Japanese version of the Ring. He won't watch it again.

Oh, I did have horrible nightmares for a week or two about home invasion after watching Inland Empire...

message 27: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Jennifer wrote: "I honestly can't think of any. And I'm not trying to act tough as I'm the biggest wimp around. But the tricks my mind plays are scarier than films.

For years when I was a teenager I was terrified ..."

You're right. Real horror is a mind thing. Therefore I mostly read the book before going to a horror movie or I also try to read the book after a very creepy flic. I quite liked the Nightmare on Elmstreet series, or Friday the 13th or Halloween series in the 80s when I was a youth. The Ring was also a great series later on, end of the 90s...

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Halloween was the one for me. It may be because it was my first. Hockey masks nd crazy brothers still scare me.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2880 comments Child's Play..when I was a kid Chucky scared the hell outta me. Now I'm like meh not that bad.

There was a movie called They that my parents watched that scared me.

message 30: by David (new)

David Brian (davidbrian) | 1621 comments Steve wrote: "That Spider walk is damn freaky even now.

The corridor scene in Exorcist 3 is pretty scary too. Forget about Exorcist 2 as that was garbage. Exorcist 3 is based on Blaty's follow up to The Exorci..."

Exorcist 3 is such an underrated film. Great movie!

message 31: by Luvtoread (new)

Luvtoread | 1894 comments Nightmare on Elm Street, the original! Freddy Krueger scared me simple!! He still creeps me out!

message 32: by David (new)

David Haynes | 3191 comments Salem's Lot gave me nightmares. As did Halloween. Both kept me awake at night. My first horror "Buzz" I suppose.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Fond memories of seeing Texas Chainsaw Massacre when I was 18 and had just moved to Texas. Could barely process it...I felt as mad as Sally by the end.

message 34: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 836 comments I can't watch the exorcist again. But I've seen the original It 4x

message 35: by Julia (new)

Julia Ash (julia_ash) | 24 comments The Ring was very creepy. I’ve never looked at the TV in the same way!!! And DO NOT let there be a puddle of water near a TV. Seriously!!!

message 36: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments David wrote: "Steve wrote: "That Spider walk is damn freaky even now.

The corridor scene in Exorcist 3 is pretty scary too. Forget about Exorcist 2 as that was garbage. Exorcist 3 is based on Blaty's follow up..."

Totally agree David. George C Scott and Brad Dourff are both fantastic. And those decapitation shears!!!

message 37: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Jennifer wrote: "I honestly can't think of any. And I'm not trying to act tough as I'm the biggest wimp around. But the tricks my mind plays are scarier than films.

For years when I was a teenager I was terrified ..."

I'd have to agree with you 100% there. When I was a kid I used to be paranoid as all hell because of the shower scene in Psycho. Was always super uneasy every single time I had to take a shower and absolutely hated doing it, constantly peaking around the curtain to make sure no one was trying to sneak up on you. Of course, this had nothing to do with the actual shower scene. My parents were pretty strict when it came to what movies I saw, and minus one slip up, I was at their mercy of what I saw until I was old enough that it didn't matter. But I knew about the scene in a vague way, and just the thought of someone killing me in the shower was enough to freak me out. Then of course I actually saw it and I'm just sitting there like "this is what I've been so afraid of?"

As for movies that actually scare me, that's kind of rare. I do have to admit The Fourth Kind did a number on me though due to an unfortunate string of circumstances. I only watched that one because I had a friend who saw it, and they pretty much freaked out about it telling me not to see it at night. Unfortunately, they told me this at about midnight, and naturally I had to see it after they swore away the movie because it freaked them out so much. So I watch it, and for the most part I'm just laughing at it the whole time. I mean, it comes off as kind of hokey, and the fact that it plays it straight as though a fully true story and all just kills me. And then the one scene near the end hits. Now let me tell you, that is one damned unnerving scene, and I'm not really one to get unnerved at all. But if I had the rest of the day to get my mind away from it, I really think I'd have been just fine. But no, it was now about 2 am, and I had to get to bed for work. Even better, I just watched a movie all about people being abducted at night through their windows.....and I sleep right next to my window. I just couldn't get that stupid window out of my head. I'm trying to sleep, but I couldn't keep myself from constantly glancing over at the window. Finally I pulled my eyes away from it towards my ceiling hoping to force myself to sleep, and that's when I saw a shape which looked JUST like the upper half of a body peering over my head looking down at me. If I was smart I'd know that couldn't be someone looking down at me, since that would require this person or thing to be coming through my wall, and that's obviously impossible. But no. I am not smart. And I instantly panicked and had a full body spasm as I prepared to launch out of my bed. Which is when the shape vanished, as it was a shadow that was being cast from the way my foot was positioned.

message 38: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments Brilliant Tim. You have just encapsulated how illogical we are at night particularly after seeing a damn good horror.

I watched The Exorcist at aged 11 when I lived in a 500 year old pub. We had squirrels in the loft unbeknown to me until months later and it sounded like the noises Chris McNeil heard in her loft after Regan had spoken to Puza through the Ouija board. Then I was convinced my bed was shaking so took my labrador to bed with me. My Dad was not happy as he was doubling up as a guard dog. I didnt sleep for months!j

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 405 comments Fantastic stories Tim and Steve! It's crazy how a random series of events can send our minds into overdrive.

I think my fear of Chucky came about at the time of a child murder over here in the UK, Child's Play 3 got brought up in the case, and I was just at the age to hear about it but not quite understand..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_...

message 40: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3718 comments This is a cool thread! :)

Amityville Horror (the original movie) scared me to death when I first watched it - I didn't see it when it first came out, but after I was able to rent from the movie store - it freaked me out and gave me nightmares for two weeks. I had to leave the lights out when I slept for awhile.

Pet Sematary - I watched it when I was younger and that gave me nightmares too as I at the time we had a dog that had died and I kept thinking my dog was going to get up out of his grave.

When I was real little I saw "The Fly" and for awhile I thought that every time my mom swatted a fly she was killing somebody (lol). I forget what age I was though.

Now there is a movie that I watched about five years ago or so (I own the movie too - lol) called "100 Feet" which is a real creepy ghost movie about a woman that kills her husband in self defense and then he comes back to haunt her. I watched it with the lights off and the house was quiet, which probably wasn't a good thing (lol) and it was a scary movie. You all might want to check it out if you all could find a copy of it. I had rented it from Netflix when I first saw it.

message 41: by Peter (new)

Peter | 110 comments Just had to think about the movie Dead Silence that was extremely scary with the ventriloquist doll comitting murder; especially the scene with the wife handling her husband like one of the dolls was gross. I was scared shitless while watching the movie!

message 42: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Willox | 92 comments The Burning. The infamous raft sequence. Plus all the others mentioned in this thread. Not so much the Ring, not sure why. Also I was in my twenties when I saw the Exorcist so it didn’t bother me.

message 43: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Steve wrote: "Brilliant Tim. You have just encapsulated how illogical we are at night particularly after seeing a damn good horror.

I watched The Exorcist at aged 11 when I lived in a 500 year old pub. We had ..."

It's just crazy how far the mind can run when its the middle of the night and it has nothing else to do but wander.

I had another night where the conditions met just right to send me into crazy town. It wasn't really because of any specific movie really, but I had spent the night watching some type of a ghost hunter thing. Now obviously that sow didn't bother me because of how hokey they always are, but that night I suddenly started to come down with some time of sickness and I was cold. Like, incredibly cold. So cold I threw on a sweatshirt and I was still shivering. And as I'm laying there freezing, suddenly all I could think about was how in ghost shows and movies they always talk about how when there's a presence the temperature drops. To this day I'm still not sure what happened, but as I was trying to convince myself how crazy I was being, it suddenly felt like I had been boxed in the ears, and for some reason all that came to mind was the scene near the end of Paranormal Activity 2 when (view spoiler). Needless to say I was then suddenly convinced I was about to be murdered by some kind of demon.

message 44: by Steve (new)

Steve Parcell | 913 comments Ryan wrote: "The Burning. The infamous raft sequence. Plus all the others mentioned in this thread. Not so much the Ring, not sure why. Also I was in my twenties when I saw the Exorcist so it didn’t bother me."

I loved The Burning when I was 12. Watched it again a couple of months ago and it hasnt aged well at all. Jason Alexander (George Costanza from Seinfeld) was its only saving grace.

message 45: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I think the movies that scare me the most are one featuring diseases. Andormeda Strain and others like it terrify me.

I am an ob-gyn. I guess the scare hits close to home for me.

message 46: by James (new)

James Loftus I could tell you but after having the senses scared out of me I don't have the senses to do so.

message 47: by Jeff McIntosh (new)

Jeff McIntosh | 168 comments Dawn of the Dead was pretty bad at the time...Ii had trouble sleeping that night....

message 48: by John (new)

John | 22 comments The original "Friday the 13th", the Kevin Bacon scene with the arrow. Had to look under the bed for a while after that.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

Insidious terrifies me. Every time I watch it I have to turn the lights on at one scene because I’m so freaked out, every time.

message 50: by John (new)

John | 22 comments Amy wrote: "Insidious terrifies me. Every time I watch it I have to turn the lights on at one scene because I’m so freaked out, every time."
Yeah, Insidious has some pretty creepy scenes in it.

« previous 1 3