Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Any runners out there?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike Fiorilli | 2 comments My first time doing this, kind of exciting. Below is my query letter pitch. If interested, please message me and I'll be happy to send part/all of the MS to you. Thanks for reading. Cheers!

I believe there are many among the millions of runners who would love to read a story about a man who embraces the sport as a crucial part of reconstructing his life. I am also sure non-runners will enjoy the book as it is about more than just running. This story is about facing life-changing events and overwhelming odds and learning you do have the power to change your circumstances and you don’t have to reach the finish line first to be a winner. In the vein of Chariots of Fire, THE RUNNING MAN is a story that combines the underdog tale of The Blind Side and the marathon enthusiasm of a Duel in the Sun.

THE RUNNING MAN has two distinct though interrelated story lines. Mike Anthony has lost two executive-level jobs and the ambition to continue in his previous career path. He is in a physical and emotional crisis and desperately needs a change in his life. As a result, he winds up working in a nursing home with a new best friend, a witty eighty-year-old named George Reynolds. Mike becomes a runner and is fascinated by the Kenyans, who have long dominated distance running.

Moses Kimani, a former world champion marathon runner, is now the coach of the Kenyan national team. Two noteworthy runners are on the Kenyan team. Fonte Bitok is team captain, gifted with extraordinary physical talent but also an arrogant and narcissistic nature. Joseph Kipchumba is the newest addition to the team and the youngest, eager to earn the respect of his teammates as the Kenyan team embarks on a worldwide tour of the major marathon circuit.

On a spring day in Cleveland, Ohio, these story lines intersect when Mike Anthony and Joseph Kipchumba each sets out to face the biggest challenge of his life. Will their courage, stamina, and determination be enough? Will the day bring each man the redemption he desperately seeks, or end far differently than either could have imagined? Will one of them need a hero to come to the rescue?

message 2: by J.R. (new)

J.R. Alcyone | 303 comments I'm a runner. And almost a neighbor. (I live on the westside of Cleveland.) I'd like to read your story, but I'm in the midst of revising my own novel and have limited availability for anything else until the end of July. If you don't need a response immediately, though, I think I'm squarely in your target demographic.

Email is thegreenheron1980 at gmail dot com.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike Fiorilli | 2 comments Jen wrote: "I'm a runner. And almost a neighbor. (I live on the westside of Cleveland.) I'd like to read your story, but I'm in the midst of revising my own novel and have limited availability for anything els..."

Hi Jen,
Thanks for reaching out. I'm not on a tight timeline, so just let me know when the time is right. If you need feedback on your MS, I'm happy to return the favor.
Cheers!
Mike