Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > August 2018 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 4090 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the August Group Reads and will close on 16th July 2018 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 18th to 26th July 2018 inclusive.

You may nominate Two books, one in each category (1. Group Main Read, 2. Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4 ($5.30) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion leader.

2) No self-nominations by authors please.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year, for the sake of variety. Check our bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year. Our bookshelf is at:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please ensure your nomination is a British Mystery. Please see the thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... for what is considered a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 1 comments Thirteen Guests
Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon

message 3: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments The Gathering Murders by Keith Moray
The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1) by Keith Moray

The best Scottish detective series you haven’t read yet! Perfect for fans of LJ Ross and Faith Martin…

Who can you trust when everyone is a suspect?

The Scottish Hebrides

The annual West Uist literary festival – The Gathering – always attracts the best in the business. But with the tiny island population suddenly doubling, the local police force is stretched to breaking point. And this year they have to deal with more than just drunken fights and rowdy behaviour…

Ranald Buchanan, the local poet, is found dead, with his head brutally caved in, and Inspector Torquil McKinnon is brought in to investigate. Did Ranald trip and fall, as suggested? Or is something more sinister happening?

Before Torquil can find out more, another victim is found. The island is on lockdown. There is a serial killer in their midst. And this time the victim is someone very close to him.

Now finding justice is personal. Torquil is out for revenge.

Can he solve the mystery before the killer strikes again?

Or will more bodies fall victim to The Gathering Murders …?

I love the idea of a literary festival murder :)
Currently $2.99 in the US so a Bargain book

message 4: by AngryGreyCat (last edited Jul 06, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments Vanessa wrote: "Thirteen Guests
Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon"

I have this one already on my pile of TBR British Crime Classics :)

message 5: by David (new)

Vanessa wrote: "Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon

Ok then this over here on Amazon.co.uk is £2.99 and link is https://amzn.to/2m1KPYB
And it looks to be $7.95 on Amazon.com.

This will be a Main group read then unless someone on the US side can confirm it is under $5.30 for kindle

message 6: by David (new)

AngryGreyCat wrote: "The Gathering Murders by Keith Moray
The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1) by Keith Moray

The best Scottish detective series you haven’t read yet! Perfect for fans of LJ Ross and Faith Martin…

Who can you..."

Vanessa wrote: "Thirteen Guests

£1.99 on Amazon UK so yes a value book.
Link is: https://amzn.to/2J6BFDc

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments "Thirteen guests" is $9.23 in Canada 🇨🇦

message 8: by David (new)

Ok my nomination for Value Read is
The Last Thing I Saw by Alex Sinclair
The Last Thing I Saw by Alex Sinclair

The perfect family. A moment that will change everything.

Emma thought she had the perfect life: a beautiful home, a loving husband and a gorgeous son.

She was wrong.

When she wakes up to find herself in hospital, Emma has no memory of how she got there or why her husband and son won’t come to see her.

What happened to Emma’s family?

Emma is desperate to find out what happened – and that her loved ones are safe – but remembering the truth could be the most dangerous thing of all…"

£1.99 on Amazon UK. Link is https://amzn.to/2L4szvU
$2.64 on Amazon.com - https://amzn.to/2NGxe5y

message 9: by David (new)

Right Nominations are closed and we have -

Main Group Read
1: Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon - nominated by Vanessa

Value Book Read
1: The Gathering Murders by Keith Moray - nominated by AngryGreyCat.
2: The Last Thing I Saw by Alex Sinclair - nominated by David

So Main Read is sorted we will just vote on the two books for Value Read.

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "Right Nominations are closed and we have -

Main Group Read
1: Thirteen Guests by J. Jefferson Farjeon - nominated by Vanessa

Value Book Read
1: The Gathering Murders by Keith Moray - nominated b..."

It is "Prime Day" on Amazon in the US and you can get a 30% credit back on a future ebook for one purchased today. Since we've decided the main book, I'm going to take advantage of that. It's only $6.99 US even without that benefit.

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Since I have run out of books to read, I ordered the Thirteen Guests and while i was there, a new author(for me) popped up with a Scottish murder .... so ordered that too.

I think i have an Amazon-shopping-problem that i should join some recovery group to deal with. I will get right on that ..... as soon as a finish reading my two new books.

PS: I didn't order the Gathering Murders because i had already ordered that on a previous book-buying spree!

message 12: by David (new)

Last day to vote for Value book for August.

message 13: by David (new)

Right I am away from 1st August until the weekend so will be putting up the group read threads today ready.