Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
This topic is about An Ember in the Ashes
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > An Ember in the Ashes [July 11, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 11th.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Really looking forward to reading this, I hope it's as good as I remember.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments I've just read a few pages to get started. Initial impressions of the world is that it's awful. It's very cruel and unforgiving, which should make for a great story!

I already like Laia. She's not one of those cookie cutter badass female warriors. She's just a normal person, terrified of her oppressors and what they can do to her and I appreciate that. Not everyone can be like Vin from Mistborn and that's okay. I've recently read Mistborn, Red Sister and Nevernight to name a few so I'm a bit done with the stereotype for now, it's really nice to have a female main character who doesn't think she can take on the world.

Can I also just say I think the Masks are terrifying. Seriously creepy.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm starting it now also. :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments I'm starting now! :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Enjoy girls!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Think I'm the only one not rereading? It must be good if you both want to read it again XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments I barely remember any of it honestly, very random bits and pieces but I do remember that I loved it so I'm super excited to discover it again. Get off GR and get reading! :P

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Ikr? 🙈

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments I'm back... 😂

Chapter 2 - First impressions are good!! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'm back... 😂

Chapter 2 - First impressions are good!! [spoilers removed]"

So glad you're enjoying it! I think (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Yesss! Let's hope for that! 👍

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments I'm about 100 pages in and holy shit, this world! There's something seriously wrong with these people. Laia is (view spoiler)

I feel really bad for Elias too. The brutality at that school is freaking awful. Just reading the courtyard scene at the start was heartbreaking. And then there's his mother, I have no words for her. I wonder why (view spoiler)

This might be all dark and brutal but I'm loving it so far. I read a lot before work this morning and I've read some on my break. I'm really invested already.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I'm in about the same place as you Charlie. (Shoot I forgot to update my currently reading list!)
I have forgotten how much I loved this book at the first read.

I'd like to wring that "mother's" neck! She is the worst kind of monster.
That scene you mentioned Charlie was horrible. Laia seemed like such a meek character in the beginning but it does take real guts to do what she just signed up for so I'm already rooting for her.

I also feel bad for Elias. He seems out of place over there. One mask with a heart where everyone else seems like a heartless monster. Though who wouldn't turn into a monster being brought up that way? And perhaps it's just a first impression and there is more under the surface of those masks.

I was also wondering about the priest at the first read.

@Shioban - yeay for being here and loving this!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments What chapter is that Charlotte? I'm on kindle.

Haha thanks Laura, I'm glad to join yous!

Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 4 - (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Chapter 11 Siobhan - that one is brutal. And more to come. I'm at 13 right now and OMG!!!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Laura wrote: "I'm in about the same place as you Charlie. (Shoot I forgot to update my currently reading list!)
I have forgotten how much I loved this book at the first read.

I'd like to wring that "mother's" ..."

She really is an awful human, no wonder she rose so high in that society.

I'm really rooting for Laia too, the girl's super brave. She might not be the typical all powerful fantasy fighter but she's got her own kind of strength.

I think it's not surprising a lot of the Masks are so cold. To grow up in that kind of environment you've got to adapt quickly or die. It's such a shame. It's like they intentionally stamp the decency out of people at those schools.

Siobhan wrote: "What chapter is that Charlotte? I'm on kindle.

Haha thanks Laura, I'm glad to join yous!

Chapter 3 - [spoilers removed]

Chapter 4 - [spoilers removed]"

I'm with you Siobhan, it's super dark considering it's YA! Both of those chapters really upset me. I really want this society to crumble and the scholars to be liberated.

message 18: by Charlie (last edited Jul 11, 2018 04:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Just finished chapter 13, that was horrible. (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yes. I hate that woman

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I hope you guys enjoy this. It is perhaps my favorite YA series. I just love her writing style and ability to draw forth empathy.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Scott wrote: "I hope you guys enjoy this. It is perhaps my favorite YA series. I just love her writing style and ability to draw forth empathy."

I definitely feel for the characters. Out of the three books I'm reading at the moment this has became my favourite. I'm just really afraid for both Laia and Elias. This can't end well.

message 22: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie wrote: "Scott wrote: "I hope you guys enjoy this. It is perhaps my favorite YA series. I just love her writing style and ability to draw forth empathy."

I definitely feel for the characters. Out of the th..."

Have you read books 2 & 3 yet?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments I've read book 2 but not 3 and really loved book 1 in particular. Now I'm looking forward to 3. Is it just as good as this one Scott?

message 24: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Jul 11, 2018 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura wrote: "I've read book 2 but not 3 and really loved book 1 in particular. Now I'm looking forward to 3. Is it just as good as this one Scott?"

I gave all three 5*'s but I'm in the minority. A lot of people in the BR of book 3 didn't like it. For me book three the first half was slightly slow but the second half was great. There were a lot of surprises and again the author really draws empathy out of me so I love her works. I guess it comes down to what you prioritize.

Mayim and Miche gave it 3*'s and Tammy 4*'s if I remember correctly. They each had plot issues to varying degrees.

I would say books 1 and 2 were better than 3 but I would say the same about Stormlight Archives and yet book 3 in that series was also still a 5*.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Just finished chapter 16!!! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm about 100 pages in and holy shit, this world! There's something seriously wrong with these people. Laia is [spoilers removed]

I feel really bad for Elias too. The brutality at that school is f..."

I totally know what you both meant now! That scene was awful in chapter 11.

I'm through chapter 12 now, and I'm still shocked by how dark it is, and so impressed with the world building.

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm about 100 pages in and holy shit, this world! There's something seriously wrong with these people. Laia is [spoilers removed]

I feel really bad for Elias too. The brutality at ..."

I really like the word building too. It's vivid and detailed without being at all info-dumpy and I really like that.

I hope she survives, Elias too, It's not looking goof for them though. I'm 46% in and (view spoiler)

My nerves can't take this!

message 28: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 11, 2018 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 13, that was horribl!"

Oh my God it was horrible! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 13, that was horribl!"

Oh my God it was horrible! I ..."

Yeah, there's no redemption there, she's just pure evil I reckon. A little further on her father calls her a disgrace to her family or something similar so I think even in this warped society her particular brand of cruelty is too far off the deep end.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Just finished chapter 23 (view spoiler)

It's getting to the point where I'm scared to read on. I'm so convinced everything is going to go to hell.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Finished Chapter 31 (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments @Charlie - Ha! You're thinking the same. I felt like there was (view spoiler)

I finished this today. I realised I had 6 books open and I'm not doing very well with that many. So I finished 2. This one and the Magpie Lord cause both were according to my mood. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments I think I'm slightly comforted by her father calling her a disgrace to her family... At least that means she's not the norm!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Siobhan wrote: "I think I'm slightly comforted by her father calling her a disgrace to her family... At least that means she's not the norm!"

Well the grandfather isn't exactly brimming with love but he doesn't seem psychotic like his daughter at least!

Laura wrote: "@Charlie - Ha! You're thinking the same. I felt like there was [spoilers removed]

I finished this today. I realised I had 6 books open and I'm not doing very well with that many. So I finished 2. ..."

I'm really looking forward to book two too! I don't own it yet but I can definitely get it. Shall we set a date? I'm happy for anytime between next week and christmas :D Since I had some time off reading BRs earlier in the year I've recharged and I've been a bit of a reading machine the last few weeks, I'm really feeling the book love. I should hopefully finish this tomorrow night.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Haha the daughter is a pretty low benchmark really. XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 16!!! [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 16! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 16!!! [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 16! Never m..."

Just keep reading!! So many good/ awful things to come!!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Just finished chapter 38. That better have been a weird dream or I'm quitting this book. That was just too far. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Chapter 41 finished (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "Finished Chapter 31 [spoilers removed]"

Just read chapter 31! I think you're totally right! (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Chapter 34 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments 35 - (view spoiler)

message 43: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 13, 2018 02:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "Just finished chapter 38. That better have been a weird dream or I'm quitting this book. That was just too far. [spoilers removed]"

I swear to God... (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments Isn't it ridiculous @siobhan ?! They've spent 15 years raising and training these kids, and for what?!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments But they do have a reason! And you'll find it out in the end.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Oooh that's ominous, Laura!!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Yeah it is! I couldn't actually believe it that they would go to those legthts and for what.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7857 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 41 finished [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Chapter 43 (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Oh. I'm barely waiting for you to finish and tell me what you think then about Helene.
And yes. It is truly horrible.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4552 comments God I'm scared to read it now! Still at chapter 41, I started another book rather than finish this! I need to man up.

« previous 1