Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Jam Packed June 2/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments 5)Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story by Angela Saini (biology/psychology/anthropology/animal behavior) Source: Edelweiss Started: 6/10 Finished: 6/13

Why Read: I've been meaning to read this and now one of my other groups chose this as a BOM.

Comments: It seemed to me that if the author had chosen to focus on one science, it would have been a better book. There wasn't much in the way of original conclusions. Rating B- See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

6)Cave of Bones by Anne Hillerman (mystery) 309 pages. Source: Library Started: 6/13 Finished: 6/15

Why Read: I like Anne Hillerman's consistent quality and focus on Jim Chee's wife, Bernie Manuelito. This is her fourth book.

Comments: This one gets a B. I liked it, but I could have done without the sub-plot about Bernie's sister.

7)Nyira and the Invisible Boy by K. M. Harrell (historical fantasy) Source: Purchased on Amazon, but reviewed at author's request. Started: 6/15 Finished: 6/16

Why Read: Amazing cover and amazing description. It takes place in the 18th century. The African child protagonist is a paranormal healer which makes her a valuable slave. I suspected that the invisible boy was also a paranormal powered character. I was right.

Comments: Nyira ends up in Haiti, but this is Haiti as I've never seen it before. This is the best indie novel that I've read in the first half of 2018. Rating A. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

8)Fatlands by Sarah Dunant (mystery) 215 pages. Source: Library Started: 6/16 Finished: 6/17

Why Read: The plot sounded unusual. It involves animal rights.

Comments: This deals with some of the same themes as Illegal Holdings but with some added cliches in case readers didn't get enough of them. Rating B-

To Be Continued...

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments Shomeret: I read Inferior and agree, while I found most of the various science themes touched on interesting; there were several where I questioned bringing them up if more detail was not forthcoming. Several would have benefited from more focus and a couple I found less interesting.
There seemed to be a theme of "how many ways to present opposing scientific theory".

Shomeret wrote: "5)Inferior: How Science Got Women Wrong—and the New Research That's Rewriting the Story by Angela Saini (biology/psychology/anthropology/animal behavior) Source: Edelweiss
Comments: It seemed to me that if the author had chosen to focus on one science, it would have been a better book.
."