Romance Audiobooks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > July Romance Listening

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 2029 comments Mod
Please share with us what you are listening to in July.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 4717 comments Mod
I’m listening to Year One by Nora Roberts, Chronicles of the One #1, and loving it! Sorry it took me so long to pick it up.
Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 5: by L J (new)

L J | 377 comments Thank goodness for ebooks, e audio and fully charged devices. We've had power outages which may have been partly to blame for air conditioning problems at library. I needed books to keep me in out of dangerous heat and I certainly ended up with them. From cozy mystery to paranormal romance to SF, they all have romance, including cozies and SF and I tried for audio on all.
I have:
6 audios from hoopla that are due July 21
3 from overdrive I suggested for purchased auto checked out to me are due July 19
1 hardback book due back July 17 goes with another audio.
Also have suggest for purchase or holds on some other books/audios I may receive before end of month and have kindle unlimited audio/ebook combinations.
Probably wait till I finish all to post list.
Heat kills. Stay safe. May hurricane Beryl, like hurricane Fabio, be weak as predicted.

message 6: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Year One by Nora Roberts, Chronicles of the One #1, and loved it! Here’s my review.
Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

I’m listening to Polished by Alyssa Turner, Polished #1.
Polished (Polished, #1) by Alyssa Turner

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Jonetta wrote: "I’m listening to Polished by Alyssa Turner, Polished #1.
Polished (Polished, #1) by Alyssa Turner"

Ohhh. I wish I could handle menage.

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Lol! I’m a big fan when it’s written well.

message 10: by Tiam (new)

Tiam O | 9 comments Hi. I just finished Time Served and In Her Defense by Julianna Keyes. They are both narrated by Shirl Rae. I listened to In Her Defense first, and I absolutely loved it. Once I finished it, I listened to it again. If you’ve ever listened to Cornerstone by Kate Canterbary (narrated by Lucy Rivers), they’re similar. Both female characters are powerful, career driven, independent, and highly judgmental bitchy types. I say bitchy, because both characters are hilarious and, well, bitchy. Of course it takes the right male characters to balance those personalities. So I highly recommend both audiobooks.

Time Served is darker and more emotional. The main female character is also strong-willed, independent and driven, but her vulnerabilities are exposed early in the book. I actually lost patience with her several times, because she felt she had to do penance for what I felt was unnecessary... but then there’d be no story. She needed to lash out more! I do recommend it, though.

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

I’m unfamiliar with both author’s so thanks for that feedback.

message 12: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments I just finished Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren which I thought was super well done. It will probably end up on my best of 2018 list.

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Mine, too, Alisa!

message 14: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments Jonetta wrote: "Mine, too, Alisa!"

I have a total crush on Elliot. *heart eyes* :D

message 15: by Jonetta (new)

I know, right? I listed him as a book boyfriend in another group;)

message 16: by Jonetta (new)

Alisa, a couple of us were so excited after reading this book that we opened up a thread to talk about it. If you’re interested, I’ll post the link.

message 17: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments Jonetta wrote: "Alisa, a couple of us were so excited after reading this book that we opened up a thread to talk about it. If you’re interested, I’ll post the link."

sure thx

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

Here’s the link. You don’t have to join to look but do need to if you want to post a comment.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Just finished Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James and really enjoyed it.

Now back to my non-romance :)

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks for that! Just found the audiobook at the library.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Thanks for that! Just found the audiobook at the library."

I am looking for my next Julie James book.

message 22: by Jonetta (last edited Jul 12, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Go back to the FBI/US Attorney series! Even though the author won’t let us add the last two books to the series (Suddenly One Summer, The Thing About Love), they are connected by characters.

message 23: by Samantha (new)

Jonetta wrote: "Go back to the FBI/US Attorney series! Even though the author won’t let us add the last two books to the series (Suddenly One Summer, The Thing About Love), they are..."

You are right. Book 3 will be next.

message 24: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Polished by Alyssa Turner, Polished #1, and enjoyed this story. Here’s my review.

I also finished listening to Mogul by Katy Evans, Manhattan #2, and enjoyed this entertaining romp. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion.
Polished (Polished, #1) by Alyssa Turner Mogul (Manhattan, #2) by Katy Evans Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion

message 25: by Alisa (new)

Alisa | 34 comments Jonetta wrote: "Here’s the link. You don’t have to join to look but do need to if you want to post a comment.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Thx a bunch

message 26: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 721 comments I finished the last Virgin River book My Kind of Christmas (Virgin River, #18) by Robyn Carr My Kind of Christmas. Sad to see this end, I've had a good run.

I listened to the first book in the Thunder Point series The Wanderer and enjoyed it. Hopefully it will fill my Virgin River void.

Currently listening to Whiskey Neat (Uncertain Saints MC, #1) by Lani Lynn Vale Whiskey Neat by Lani Lynn Vale.

message 27: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "I finished the last Virgin River book My Kind of Christmas (Virgin River, #18) by Robyn Carr My Kind of Christmas. Sad to see this end, I've had a good run.

I listened to the first book in the ..."

We feel your pain. I had a bit of withdrawal pangs when I reached the end of the Virgin River series. Glad you enjoyed the first of Thunder Point as it gets even better.

message 28: by L J (new)

L J | 377 comments Eve Langlais mix of kindle, overdrive & hoopla
Cyborgs: More Than Machines: Books 1 -3 quick kindle re-read to get back into Universe
1.C791 hoopla audio
2.F814 hoopla audio
3.B785 hoopla audio
4.Aramus hoopla audio grumpy Aramus w/human mate
5.Seth Seth's wife, also spy type cyborg, appears
6.Adam cyborgs on earth have cool HQ and toys
7.Avion answers origin questions
wanted to finish these before starting
The Cyborg's Stowaway hoopla audio
More Than Machines type cyborg in future when Earth is powerful federation. Romany Citadel Ship & Space Gypsy group still looking for their prince

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion & Anne Buist and loved it despite the average start. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to Off the Grid by Monica McCarty, The Lost Platoon #2.
Two Steps Forward by Graeme Simsion Off the Grid (The Lost Platoon, #2) by Monica McCarty

message 30: by Samantha (new)

I finally finished Unsub. So going for Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8) by Linda Castillo

message 31: by L J (last edited Jul 24, 2018 10:59AM) (new)

L J | 377 comments I liked The Cyborg's Stowaway Gypsy Moth #2 but not as much as I liked First Mate's Accidental Wife Gypsy Moth #1. The story was good and the female main character, Ghwenn, was interesting, smart and working hard to improve her situation. The male main character, Craig Abrams, changed his name to Crank when his wife was killed and was too cranky for me to enjoy. Sometimes it was funny but it made me more interested in Ghwenn and her situation than I was in them as a couple.

message 32: by L J (new)

L J | 377 comments Eve Langlais Werewolves, Vampires and Demons, Oh My
#1 Indecent Werewolf Exposure Chloe, smart successful public defender was annoyingly stupid when it came to her personal life - getting so drunk that the way you know you had fun are pictures? - Pete the werewolf is a former client - Anthony the vampire is a prosecuting attorney - Chloe grew on me but still wish she had been smarter better person sooner
#2 Mr. Peabody's House I'd listened to this one before and didn't like it but thought I would give it another chance - still can't stand Brenda but reading in order did give me a better understanding of the 3 werewolves - wish there had been more about them and less of Brenda
#3 A Demon Stole My Kitty better, much better - Willow, who was in previous book, is head of a coven of witches and still investigating demons who have been eating witches - she teams up with the powerful Alistair to fight the invading demons - the secondary characters are interesting with enough character building to make them individuals - the story was interesting even though the "revelations" came as no surprise - if there is ever a sequel I'd be willing to listen to this again to get back into the world

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to Off the Grid by Monica McCarty, The Lost Platoon #2, and liked switching to the audio format. Here’s my review.

I’m listening to The Thief by J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood #16.
Off the Grid (The Lost Platoon, #2) by Monica McCarty The Thief (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16) by J.R. Ward

message 35: by Jonetta (new)

Samantha wrote: "Finished Among the Wicked by Linda CastilloAmong the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8) by Linda Castillo"

What did you think?

message 36: by Samantha (new)

I really enjoyed this one. I have this weird love/hate with Kate Burkholder. She drives me crazy. I just love the stories. There are some minor plotholes that needed to be fixed but the twist at the end surprised me enough for me to overlook all of that.

message 37: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 721 comments I finished Slow Burn (Lost Kings MC, #1) by Autumn Jones Lake Slow Burn by Autumn Jones Lake today. I liked it, but didn't love it. The last 20% was a little slow.

Next up - Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux Cut & Run by Abigail Roux.

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

I finished listening to The Thief by J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood #16, and loved it! Here’s my review.
The Thief (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16) by J.R. Ward

message 39: by KathyB (new)

KathyB  (kathybrown) | 721 comments Jonetta wrote: "I finished listening to The Thief by J.R. Ward, Black Dagger Brotherhood #16, and loved it! Here’s my review.
The Thief (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #16) by J.R. Ward"

I need to get back to that series, the last Black Dagger book I read was Lover at Last. I used to be obsessed, the first few books were awesome.

I finished Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail Roux Cut & Run, it was just okay. I may have liked it better if I'd read it instead of listened. The narrator did a good job with the male characters, but the female voices were terrible, almost comical.

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

KathyB wrote: "I need to get back to that series, the last Black Dagger book I read was Lover at Last. I used to be obsessed, the first few books were awesome. ..."

I’m still obsessed. I switched to the audio format a few books ago and I can never go back.

KathyB wrote: "I finished Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail RouxCut & Run, it was just okay. I may have liked it better if I'd read it instead of listened. The narrator did a good job with the male characters, but the female voices were terrible, almost comical.. ..."

I read the first book and was disappointed.

message 41: by L J (new)

L J | 377 comments Jonetta wrote: "KathyB wrote: ""I finished Cut & Run (Cut & Run, #1) by Abigail RouxCut & Run, it was just okay. I may have liked it better if I'd read it instead of listened. The narrator did a good job with the male characters, but the female voices were terrible, almost comical....
"I read the first book and was disappointed."

Thanks Kathy and Jonetta. I like the series concept but Cut & Run, I don't like serial killer trope. Tried reading another, quit. Tried listening to next one, quit. While I like the series concept I guess the books are just not my thing.

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

L J wrote: "Jonetta wrote: "Thanks Kathy and Jonetta. I like the series concept but Cut & Run, I don't like serial killer trope. Tried reading another, quit. Tried listening to next one, quit. While I like the series concept I guess the books are just not my thing. ."

I don't mind the serial killer trope but there were too many plot holes in the mystery. The book needed to decide whether the focus was the romantic relationship or the mystery. If fell short on both for me.

Now, with that said, almost ALL of my friends who read this book absolutely loved it. So, take it as one person's opinion.

message 43: by L J (new)

L J | 377 comments Jonetta wrote: "...too many plot holes in the mystery. The book needed to decide whether the focus was the romantic relationship or the mystery..."

Your problem was the same as mine. I wish I could like them as much as others do.
I was going to add to my post: I think they don't work for me because when I read them my mindset is mystery romance instead of romance with a law enforcement as setting.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.