Play Book Tag discussion

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
This topic is about His Majesty's Dragon
Archive: Other Books > His Majesty's Dragon - Naomi Novik - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

Laurence, the captain in the British Navy, finds himself in the possession of a soon to hatch Dragon egg while weeks away from land. It is very important to "harness" the Dragon almost immediately and have the Dragon except you. What is Laurence to do?

So begins the setup for His Majesty's Dragon.

The point of this book is the relationships, especially the relationship between the handler and the Dragon but also between different branches of military, aristocracy vs lower classes, male vs female, and fitting in as an outsider. War and battle do take place is this book but is not the focus.

I do recommend this book and enjoyed it greatly despite finding a realistic and fool proof set up for Dragon near impossible. I most likely will continue this series.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8455 comments Nice to hear you liked and plan to continue the series. I just finished book 2 and will only say the relationship aspects continue as a major theme. I plan on going on to book 3.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Finished! I would have to rate it ★★★★

Very nice, overall! Currently I am not sure if I will continue the series, based only on the violence of war, and it is too painful when the Dragons are injured. However I can always skim those parts, and I have grown quite attached to Laurence and Temeraire, so I might find myself wanting to know how they are doing.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9391 comments Loved your review and am loving the discussions. Critterbee, I look forward to getting to my computer where I can unlock the spoilers and we can chat more. There’s so much I want to read that I’m not jumping at the next book, but if it fits a challenge I’d gladly see what happens next. I rather surprisingly liked and became invested in this pair.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Amy wrote: "There’s so much I want to read that I’m not jumping at the next book, but if it fits a challenge I’d gladly see what happens next. I rather surprisingly liked and became invested in this pair."

I agree, it is captivating.