Elizabeth | 27 comments Mod
Abby recommended these three books:

What book changed your life?
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
The Art of Stillness by Pico Iyler

What is a guilty pleasure read?
How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Moshin Hamid

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan (lahairoi) When Breath Becomes Air was such a beautiful book! Good choice by Abby Falik!

message 3: by Neerja (new)

Neerja Joshi (ametalk) | 1 comments Megan wrote: "When Breath Becomes Air was such a beautiful book! Good choice by Abby Falik!"
True :) I to read that book last year :) and must say I loved it :)

message 4: by Enrique (new)

Enrique How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Moshin Hamid is not guilty pleasure, this is great fiction and a story that will warm your heart and will have you caring for its main characters! Very original and entertaining! This book gave me an inside view into a culture that is literary foreign to me.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan (lahairoi) Just completed The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere by Pico Iyer. I really enjoyed this tiny book about stillness. It definitely made me reconsider some things, like plane rides and constant noise. Maybe my goal for 2019 will be a digital sabbath - we'll see how that works out. Definitely worth reading! 4.5 stars

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan (lahairoi) Just completed How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid. There were many things I liked about this book. The satirical self-help was delightfully witty. The second-person narrative was interesting, if a bit muddled towards the end. But the book felt a bit impersonal, and especially towards the end, I missed having names assigned to the characters. Still worth reading! 3.5 stars

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Jan 01, 2019 01:00AM) (new)

Nicole (nlcondit) | 1 comments I thought When Breath Becomes Air was lyrical - the prose was almost poet at points. It was a thought provoking read.

I enjoyed How to Get Rich...because it captures both the heady days of when you're riding high and the bemusement when your luck turns.

message 8: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Frecks | 2 comments What is this group about? I have never been on this site before

message 9: by Aqsa (new)

Aqsa (her_747) | 1 comments I recently read When Breath becomes air and it was so good. I had experienced some things that Paul had too during his days as a neurosurgeon and I was lost in it throughout part 1. My hands trembling and my heart thrashing against my chest.

And the second part had me crying for my life. I loved it. The way he tried to find about life and death and everything else was something most of us forget about.