SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Classics > Rivals to Le Carre': three *classic series* rec's

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 1184 comments Mod
These author names have come up recently and I'm giving them a bump for anyone looking for classic series alternatives to John LeCarre.

They're all prolific and well-rated among genre devotees, and I discovered I was remiss in not representing them on our group bookshelves. That has now been rectified.

Victor Canning
Charles Cumming
William Haggard

And another plug for Ross Thomas who is consistently renowned among aficionados...except I can't seem to find anyone who has ever read him or is talking about him.

message 2: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Raw deal for Aussies and Kiwis. Ouuff.

Glad you're enjoying Thomas though. He has intense fan loyalty; even among the most avid readers of this genre. They rate him high for his prose, his plotting, his dialog. Overall cleverness. I hope to do my bit to spread the word.

message 3: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 648 comments Feliks wrote: "These author names have come up recently and I'm giving them a bump for anyone looking for classic series alternatives to John LeCarre.

They're all prolific and well-rated among genre devotees, a..."

BREAKING NEWS. The granddaughter of that traitorous snake Kim Philby is writing a novel.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 4: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

"Ever-r-r-r-ybody wants t' get in t' de act!"

Thanks, Samuel

message 5: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 648 comments Feliks wrote: ""Ever-r-r-r-ybody wants t' get in t' de act!"

Thanks, Samuel"

The granddaughter has also written some reflections. For the first time in thirty years, she flew to Moscow to visit her old man's grave.

https://charlottephilby.com/features/...