Play Book Tag discussion

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
This topic is about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Archive: Other Books > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, by Lisa See: 5 Stars, a PBT Favorite

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Lisa See does it again. This is probably my "favorite" Lisa See to date. It isn't necessarily an easy or fun book, but shows strong characters, a historical fiction setting with lessons to learn, relationships, heartache, and more. I really appreciated the perspective this book gives on both the situations in 19th century China, and the characters. This gives heart and meaning, both to the facts- as well as to why things were done how they were, and what it meant to the people going through it.

This follows Lily, from ages 5-80. Yes. That's a long time. We see her family life growing up, her matched "lao tong" (forever sister) to Snow Flower and together they learn their secret language. We see her grow up, learn, marry, have children, everything. One think I really loved about this- is it didn't just show the history. We see the foot binding, we see the arranged marriages. This gave us the perspective of someone going through it. They didn't see woman being treated poorly as abnormal- this life is all they knew. And it's interesting to see how logical decisions were made at the time given the set of circumstances everyone was it.

Lily was definitely a little goody-goody for me. Everything had to be exactly perfect, but maybe that is an attribute of her upbringing. She did get a little annoying, but flawed characters make the best books. The "looking back at 80 years old" thing was kind of corny, but altogether 5 stars!

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments This consistently gets great ratings and yet I haven't read it. I really must! My book club read it during one of the periods where I was in newborn baby land and wasn't reading, so I missed out. Thanks for the reminder!

message 3: by Karin (last edited Jul 05, 2018 04:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 7465 comments This is definitely my favourite Lisa See novel--I'm so glad you enjoyed it so much!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments This my favorite book by See, although I have enjoyed most of them.

message 5: by Lyn (last edited Jul 07, 2018 12:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyn (lynm) | 378 comments I have read several books by Lisa See. This was my first and still one of my favorite books, period.