What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Wideacre  (The Wideacre Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Wideacre
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historic fiction. Romance? Incest brother/sister. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Juels (last edited Jul 05, 2018 01:27PM) (new)

Juels | 2563 comments Believe I read this book in the 90s. Not sure if it would be considered a romance, probably not. I read a good portion of the book but didn't finish it (the incest - ick). However, it is driving me nuts that I can't remember it.

Possible SPOILERS ahead. The incest is not a spoiler (1st or 2nd chapter).

The heroine is the main character. She spoiled and manipulative. Didn't seem to have a heroic male character. Set in England during 1700s/1800s. At the time, the title/estates must be inherited through the male line.

Something about Swans is ringing a bell. The title may have contained the word Swan(s). I believe there were swans on their estate. Possibly had a swan on the cover. It was a paperback.

Heroine and her brother start an incestuous relationship (during their teens). The h uses this relationship to control her brother. Brother is weak, wishy-washy.

Brother gets married to Cecilia (unsure on name) and they have a daughter. Heroine gets pregnant by her brother and marries a doctor to cover it up. When she goes into labor, she pretends to have fallen causing preterm labor. Unfortunately, her doctor husband knows the difference between a preemie and a full term baby. I believe he leaves her.

The heroines baby is a boy. The heroine pushes her brother to make their son his heir but it is costly since the child is known as his nephew. That's where I stopped reading . IDK if they were able to change the inheritance.

K.L. | 72 comments sounds a bit like Wideacre by Philippa Gregory

message 3: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1247 comments This list might be worth a look if you haven't already.
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 4: by Juels (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Juels | 2563 comments Thank you K.L.!!! That's it! It has been driving me nuts. You rock!

Aerulan - Thank you for the list!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36568 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Juels. Here's the link - Wideacre by Philippa Gregory.

K.L. | 72 comments Glad you found it. I don't seem to be able to link off my phone

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wideacre (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Philippa Gregory (other topics)