Elizabeth Taylor Reading Project discussion

Thank you for the invite

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 8 comments Thank you for the invite.

I will join in when I can. Where I live it’s hard to get a hold of her books.

message 2: by Tania (new)

Tania | 43 comments Thanks for setting this up. I had ordered the first book from the library last week, so should be here ahead of schedule.

message 3: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Thanks for the invite. I have been meaning to read her for ages. I just ordered the August book secondhand. So I will join you for that one at least but will have to take it month by month for all the rest as I tend to rather over commit myself in reading and life!

message 4: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 4 comments Thanks for the invite. I've had At Mrs Lippincote's on my TBR list for a while. This might push me into actually reading it. ; )

message 5: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) Oh, exciting! I've been meaning to read more Taylor ever since I read Angel!

message 6: by Rosemary (last edited Jul 06, 2018 01:19AM) (new)

Rosemary Thank you, and what a great idea! I just bought 'At Mrs Lippincote's' a couple of weeks ago, and I also have The Wedding Group. I think we have more in the charity shop where I volunteer. I will search the shelves and buy any I find this weekend!

I also have a book by Nicola Beauman of Persephone Books about Elizabeth Taylor: The Other Elizabeth Taylor. It might be fun to read that one, too!

message 7: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Quirky Reader : ) Thanks so much for joining my group !
I do hope you can get her books, have you tried ordering from your library?
Happy weekend and happy reading

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Thanks Tania : )
Happy weekend

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Maria : )
Thanks so much for joining my group and i look forward to discussing 'At Mrs Lippincote's' with you.
Happy weekend
Karen

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Lynaia : ) Thanks so much for joining my group and i look forward to discussing 'At Mrs Lippincote's' with you.
Happy reading and happy weekend
Karen

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Camille, thanks so much for joining my group. I look forward to discussing the books with you.
Karen

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Rosemary, thanks so much for joining my group. I'm really looking forward to reading her books and discussing them with you.
Karen : )

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
I agree, it would be great to read The Other Elizabeth Taylor too !

message 14: by Canadian Reader (new)

Canadian Reader Rosemary wrote: "Thank you, and what a great idea! I just bought 'At Mrs Lippincote's' a couple of weeks ago, and I also have The Wedding Group. I think we have more in the charity shop where I volun..."
Thanks for the invitation, Rosemary.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Canadian reader : ) so happy you have joined my group

message 16: by Steffi (new)

Steffi (funsizesteffi) Thank you for inviting me. I haven’t heard of this author before I was added but I have done some research. I am excited. Which will be the first book we will read ?

message 17: by Nicoles.Lit (new)

Nicoles.Lit | 1 comments Hey!! I would love to join ☺️
I'm hoping we have the books where I live
Thanks for inviting me

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Steff, Thanks so much for joining my group. The first book we will be reading in August next month, will be the first Elizabeth Taylor wrote in 1945 'At Mrs Lippincote's' .I look forward to discussing with you.
Karen

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Nicole , Thanks so much for joing my group and i look forward to discussing the books with you.
Karen

message 20: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 6 comments Thanks for the invitation. My current reading commitments mean that I am unlikely to find the time to participate very actively, but I enjoyed the two Elizabeth Taylor books I have read (Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont and A Wreath of Roses) so I will follow the discussions.

message 21: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 29 comments Great idea! I have read her three books, but I want to read all of them (or at least as many as I can find), so it will be a great motivation ;-)

message 22: by Quirkyreader (new)

Quirkyreader | 8 comments Karen,

I live in the US and she didn’t end up having a large following here.
The books of hers that I do have are Virago editions found in charity shops. So finding the books in a library here is an Olympic event unto its self.

message 23: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 6 comments The discussion here is relevant to this group:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Sadly we never did manage to work out how to make the right Elizabeth Taylor the subject of the discussion, because she never appears on the list of authors you get to select from.

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (bibliohound) Thanks for the invite Karen - an author I've been meaning to read for a while. I'm away at the start of August so I will be joining for At Mrs Lippincote's but probably towards the end of the month.

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan | 36 comments Thanks for the invite, Karen. What a great idea! I’d like to read more Elizabeth Taylor and will join in on reads where I can. I loved “At Mrs Lippincote’s” and “Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont”. “A View of the Harbor”, “The Wedding Group” and “In a Summer Season” are on my TBR pile, and this may be the perfect excuse to add a few more....

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Mace | 11 comments Thanks for the invite Karen! Have never read any of these books before so look forward to discovering them all! Now to track them all down! ;)

message 27: by Maria Hill (new)

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) As well as At Mrs Lippincote's that's coming in the post. I have just tracked down copies of A game of hide and seek, Angel and Mrs Palfrey and the Claremont in the second hand and clearance bookshop around the corner from work. So that's a great start.

Tanya Willis Anderson (thesamplergirl) Thank you for the invite - sounds wonderfully fun!!

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (jenko1953) | 1 comments Rosemary wrote: "Thank you, and what a great idea! I just bought 'At Mrs Lippincote's' a couple of weeks ago, and I also have The Wedding Group. I think we have more in the charity shop where I volun..."

I've read the Nicola Beauman and it's very interesting. I'm friends with Jo Kingham, ET's daughter, I met her on a reading retreat in France. She had some objections to the biography, but I can't remember exactly what they were - some inaccuracies I believe. Wish I'd paid more attention!

message 30: by Lynaia (new)

Lynaia | 4 comments I also enjoyed Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont but I also found it very sad. Has anyone seen the movie with Joan Plowright? It's quite enjoyable.

message 31: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) Not sure I will be able to join for the first read, but definitely interested in getting to some of her books before the year's end. Thanks for inviting me!

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Hugh ,
Many thanks for joining my group and i look forward to discussing a few of the books with you.
Happy weekend

message 33: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Mela
Thanks so much for joining my group and i look forward to talking to you about the books.
Happy weekend
Karen

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Quirkyreader
I hope you manage to get your hands on a few of them.
Happy Weekend
Karen

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Hello, thanks for the invitation. I looked for the first book via my local library but they don't have it in my county. Instead I have ordered a secondhand copy via Amazon marketplace (which cost less than £4 including postage). Quite sure other people know about buying secondhand online, but just in case anyone is finding it a bit tricky to get a copy of this one. I am reading all of Muriel Spark's books this year - but am making time to read other authors also and I think Taylor would be interesting to read alongside - best wishes Cathy

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing this Hugh

message 37: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Pamela
I'm so happy you can join in.
Have a lovely vacation too
Many Thanks Karen

message 38: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello dear Susan
I'm so happy you can join in and discuss with us
Happy weekend

message 39: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello dear Karen !
I'm so pleased you can join in the group
Have a lovely weekend and happy reading

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello dear Maria, this news makes me very happy indeed !
Have a lovely weekend
Karen : ) x

message 41: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Tanya, I'm so happy you can join in
Have a great weekend

message 42: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hi Mandy , thanks so much for joining the group and have a lovely weekend
Karen

message 43: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hi Lynaia , yes i've heard that too about Mrs Palfrey : (
Tissues at the ready for when we read this sad novel i think !
Have a wonderful weekend
Karen

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Sara wrote: "Not sure I will be able to join for the first read, but definitely interested in getting to some of her books before the year's end. Thanks for inviting me!"

Hello Sara, I'm very happy you can join in
Have a great weekend
Karen

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Sara
I'm very happy you can join in the read-along.
Have a great weekend
Karen

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Cathy wrote: "Hello, thanks for the invitation. I looked for the first book via my local library but they don't have it in my county. Instead I have ordered a secondhand copy via Amazon marketplace (which cost l..." Hello dear Cathy
I'm so very happy you can join in the group. I agree , i've managed to get my hands on a few second hand copies too !
I really think Virago books should republish them all !!
Have a great weekend

message 47: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine Spencer | 1 comments Thank you for the invite. I'll do my best to keep up. I do have a few of her books already so that's a good start.

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Jeannine, so happy you can join in and please invite any friends too
Thanks Karen

message 49: by Karen (new)

Karen | 211 comments Mod
Hello Kevin, so happy you can join in
Many thanks Karen : )

message 50: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 08, 2018 03:54PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) I keep seeing a couple of my friends read Taylor, but have never tried her. I have ordered the first book, and we'll see how she goes!

ETA: And while I've ordered the first, I think I can inter-library loan the rest. Now, just to get them to fit tasks in my challenge group!

« previous 1