Beyond Reality discussion

Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > A Discovery of Witches -- Finished Reading -- **SPOILERS LIKELY**

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 977 comments If you've finished reading A Discovery of Witches], this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Jul 09, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

Kathi | 3379 comments Mod
I finished this last night. It is hard to judge it as a stand-alone book, since the mysteries surrounding Diana’s magic and the spelled manuscript remain mostly unsolved.

I found it to be a very readable mixture of history, fantasy, mystery, and romance. I didn’t know anything about the book or the series before reading it, so I was surprised to find this book takes place in modern times, with witches, vampires, and daemons living among the humans.

I think the next book might be darker...

Edited to add that I thought the fact that witches wielded both magic and spell casting was interesting and a bit curious, but most witches are better at one than the other.

message 3: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 617 comments Mod
I agree, Kathi, it’s hard to evaluate this as a stand-alone.

I thought this book excelled at describing places. Oxford and the Bodleian Library, a castle in Lyons, France, all impressively detailed. The Bishop House in Massachusetts even operated as a character with a mind of its own.

The plot, though, didn’t shine as brightly. Diana seemed to spend most of the book either injured or voraciously hungry, rescued time after time by the vampire love interest. The large cast of characters muddied the story for me. But overall, I enjoyed this Dan-Brown-meets-Witches-and-Vampires paranormal fantasy.

message 4: by Brigia (new)

Brigia I had this on my TBR for a quite a while. I liked the various characters, but I thought it was a bit too slow in some parts. I'm still glad I read it, but there are so many great fantasy books and this one didn't end up becoming a favorite.

message 5: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 80 comments I quite enjoyed this at the time I read it which was several years ago. I did end up finishing the trilogy.

This is one of those books that makes me wonder just how much our feelings about a book have nothing to do with the book itself and more to do with the time place and person we are when we read.

message 6: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva | 20 comments I really enjoyed this book, but I agree that the story unravels slowly and the plot could be better. It was very easy to read, though.

I am curious about the second book when the story moves to the past. With the other being an historian, it should be an interesting reading.

message 7: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I am now about a third of the way through the second book in the All Souls trilogy, Shadow of Night. Diana and Matthew have travelled back in time to the 1590s, which presents a whole new set of problems and complications for them. Even though it has been months since I read the first book, I did not find it difficult to get right back into the story and the characters, although this time period introduces some new ones. So far I am liking it even better than the first book.

message 8: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Shadow of Night is excellent. Most of the story takes place in the 1590s and Deborah Harkness’s familiarity with and understanding of Elizabethan London is obvious. I found myself feeling less impatient with Matthew and Diana in this book, and appreciated the care the author takes with the secondary characters. Several bittersweet scenes will stay with me, I’m sure. I can’t wait to find out what happens in the final book of the trilogy!

message 9: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

I finished The Book of Life today and I thought it was excellent! Tied up nearly all the loose threads (how appropriate!), managing to be horrifying, touching, mysterious, romantic, and most satisfying. So glad I read this trilogy!