Play Book Tag discussion

July 2018: Dystopian > The Power - Naomi Alderman - 5 stars and a heart (Decathlon)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Before I start my review I want to explain why I really didn't want Dystopian to win!

Back when I was at school, my AS Level English coursework was on comparing 3 Dystopian novels - Brave New World, 1984 & The Handmaid's Tale - and I was not a huge fan of any of them, so I was a bit apprehensive about this tag.

I'm so glad I chose this one to start with.

Blurb: Suddenly - tomorrow or the day after - girls find that with a flick of their fingers, they can inflict agonizing pain and even death. With this single twist, the four lives at the heart of Naomi Alderman's extraordinary, visceral novel are utterly transformed, and we look at the world in an entirely new light.

What if the power to hurt were in women's hands?

Review: I have finally found a dystopian novel I absolutely love! I enjoyed every single aspect of this book - I read it in a day - and as I have been slightly unwell over the last couple of weeks, this is a major achievement as I haven't felt like reading.

It's also given me a new understanding of feminist issues and I will definitely be trying to find more feminist books to read due to this one.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments So glad you loved this one despite lukewarm feelings about dystopia given your past experience!

Did you see that there is a Buddy Read going on for Red Clocks? Not sure if you are interested in that book, but it also deals with feminist issues surrounding abortion and IVF. Just a heads up, the more the merrier!

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm so happy to see yet another five star review of this wonderful book. I enjoyed it immensely and still think of it now even though I read it last year. I agree with Nicole; come along to Red Clocks! I finished it yesterday and enjoyed it just as much as The Power.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments So excited you gave a tag a try that you weren't excited about and it worked out so well!!! That is what PBT is all about . . .makes me feel *happy*. And I really liked the book too!

message 5: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Wow, you have sold me on this title - now I HAVE to read it!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so glad you like this! I've read it but I'm in a buddy group this month so I haven't wrote a review yet. I was glad to be done with this book. I really didn't like it and honestly I'm still not quite sure. Yet I couldn't put the book down as I read it because I was dying to know what was going to happen in the next chapter. This book has me wondering and I may be able to break it down better once my buddy group has read further and there is more discussion. It is a very popular book and I almost feel bad that I didn't like it!!

message 7: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 14, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments OK, I'm putting this one on my list if dystopia ever pops up again! Like you, I wasn't crazy about the tag this month. However, I always read the tag because you never know what will surprise you! :-) **Whoops - it's already there on my TBR**

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Nicole, Susie - sorry about the late reply.
I did have 1Q84 out of the library for my dystopia choice, but am having to "did not finish" that one as I'm not getting into it whereas I read The Power in a day, so that's my PBT choice for this month sorted, as I tried to participate in the buddy read too! 😂
Will add Red Clocks to my TBR; however I now need to prioritise some of my other challenge books for the rest of this month so it might be a while before I get to it!