Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Iron Council (New Crobuzon, #3)
This topic is about Iron Council
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Iron Council [Aug 26, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

message 2: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments In!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Thanks, Scott. Bas Lag rocks!

message 5: by Silvana (last edited Aug 24, 2018 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Vacation apparently took away a large portion of my reading time so I'll be super late in starting this - hoping to start in the second week of September.

message 6: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Well, I’m late but I’m planning to start this within this week as soon as I’m done with Midnight Tides.

message 7: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments I'll probably start tomorrow (or maybe this evening if I can manage it).

Andorion (ruineleint) Starting today. Read a little bit.

message 9: by Silvana (last edited Aug 27, 2018 09:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Silvana wrote: "Vacation apparently took away a large portion of my reading time so I'll be super late in starting this - hoping to start in the second week of September."

I think it is useless to force myself for starting this in early September with three other books starting at the same time, so I will bow myself out from this BR and start later in the month. I am currently reading Kraken so at least this month I have my Mieville fix. Have fun with the BR!

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments 150 pages in.
Hm, not sure how I'm feeling about it right now, it's been pretty sloggy so far and the plot seems a bit vague somehow. I hope it will start to grip me more soon (I still have hope because Perdido Street Station took a while to really "start" as well)

Andorion (ruineleint) Chapter 4 done.

I have to admit that I have no clue where its going. Its certainly not as gripping as PSS

message 12: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I agree. I'm also on Ch 4 and I'm not too enthusiastic to want to finish the book ASAP. But, again PSS and the Scar started pretty slow.

Considering the cast of characters we've seen so far, (view spoiler)

message 13: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments Glad I'm not the only one struggling.
Tbh I'm still not really sure what this book is about and the worst thing is, I don't really care.
I even started skimming sections because it's just boring. I'm starting to get the feeling that it's not going to get better and I still have almost 400 pages to read...

message 14: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments End of Ch 11 (around 20%)

It's not getting better. I still don't really care what's happening with the characters. *sigh*

I think I'm gonna give it a go till around 40%. If it's still not interesting to me, I might put it on hold and read something else first and try to come back to it later, perhaps.

Based on the reviews I've read here, many people seem to have the same problem as we do now. Though, from a couple of people whose reviews I follow, they gave the book a pretty high rating. It appears that this is a pretty political book. But, so far, I'm not getting that message that perhaps Mieville is trying to convey, except that the Militia is bad but we all know that from PSS.

message 15: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments I’m sorry guys. And sorry Mr. Mieville. I’ve read 3 of your books and have enjoyed them so far. But, I don’t think I could finish this book. Dropping out on Ch 14.

I’ll still lurk around to see if anybody else will find it interesting and why.

message 16: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments I feel you. I didn't even continue reading it today and am considering a dnf too.
I'll pick up something else for now because it is putting me into a reading slump but I'm not sure I can bring myself to finishing it...

Andorion (ruineleint) I have to generally agree. I am at chapter 11. While I like the general theme of dissent and rebellion I don't really like any of the characters.

message 18: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments I decided to dnf it, I just can't find the motivation to finish it.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments I finally finished it. It was a hard book but so worth to read. I wished all of you who did not finish it might consider a reread someday ;)

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments Glad you liked it, Silvana.
Yes, maybe I will try it again one day and see if I enjoy it more on a second try.
Would you say it got more suspenseful after a while?

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments I would not say suspensful but the story picked up after 200 and so pages when we get to the Judah backstory. I think you just have to take your time with Mieville's books. Put some time in between BRs especially if you plan to read a Mieville in between. I had 10 days of solo read period where I didn't have any fiction BR obligation, which helped me focus.

Back to Iron Council, it is definitely more plot driven than character driven but the politics and the worldbuilding were too good to pass.

message 22: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry (boprawira) | 1184 comments Yeah, from some of the reviews I read it seems it picks up and most people agree it's worth it to persevere. But, I guess I wasn't in the mood. Maybe some day I'll come back. But, I'm glad Mieville hasn't disappointed you yet @Silvana.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1831 comments Thanks, Bar! I still have ... five to six books of his left to read so I hope all are as good. Glad they're all stand alones. Maybe that's why I like his works. Even Bas Lag novels you can just read in whatever order.

message 24: by Bea (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bea | 2050 comments Silvana wrote: "I would not say suspensful but the story picked up after 200 and so pages when we get to the Judah backstory. I think you just have to take your time with Mieville's books. Put some time in between..."

Yes, the worldbuiling definitely got more interesting in this one!
It may well be that I did not take myself enough time to read it and/or wasn't in the right mood.