SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Random Topics > How do you like to read?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 05, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

I switch off between reading physical copies of books I check out from the library, and eBooks that I also check out from the library through the Libby and Hoopla apps. Audiobooks are good for the car, but I don't tend to use them outside of that.

message 2: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 142 comments Mod
My most preferred reading method is a physical book, usually one from the library but I do have the bad habit of buying way too many books. If I can't get my hands on a physical copy then I'll check Libby and Hoopla.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

You're a librarian! How can you spend money on books? Haha!

Lately I have been doing most of my reading on Libby on my phone. In case people are wondering what we're talking about, here's a link:
https://meet.libbyapp.com/

message 4: by Brianna (new)

Haha, can't help myself. The love of books is a strong pull. ;) I don't know how you can read on your phone! The text is so tiny!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I hear you! I actually have changed the settings on my phone so the text is larger, and I wear reading glasses that have anti-reflective lenses to prevent eye strain when reading on a screen. The truth is, a lot of my reading is done on the go. Standing in line, during a lunch break, sitting in the waiting room; there are a score of places I prefer reading to sitting patiently.

You are not alone though. Here is just one of several articles I found about keeping a personal library collection at home:
https://www.ft.com/content/0a031eee-5...
It actually made me want to work on mine!

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Thanks for the article Michael! That's a good idea to have something to read while you wait and everyone seems to have their phone on them, I know I do. Though I usually am the nerd who has the book in her bag. lol

message 7: by Malia (new)

Malia Leuck | 20 comments Mod
I read library books, SciFi paperbacks from a Friends of the Library book sale or used book store, and ebooks on my phone, tablet or computer...as you can tell, I'm not picky! I also listen to audiobooks on CD or digital audiobooks from Hoopla or Overdrive. Luckily Hoopla has some of my favorite SciFi titles as audiobooks which makes switching from car to home to a long walk super easy! I usually have one fiction audiobook, one physical book or ebook of fiction, and *maybe* one nonfiction title so I have options to fit my mood XD