Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > author name change

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7190 comments Why was an initial added to this author's name? She is not known with an initial and doesn't publish that way.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 2: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45527 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "She is not known with an initial"

Her Facebook profile has it. So does her Twitter account. (Both appear to be under her control.) Her bio for NDI has it, and so does the NY Times listing for her.

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 05, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7190 comments rivka wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "She is not known with an initial"

Her Facebook profile has it. So does her Twitter account. (Both appear to be under her control.) Her bio for NDI has it, and so does th..."

But don't we use the published name on GR? Yes, the more complete name when we need to disambiguate, but that is not the case here.

message 4: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

Some of her books have been importing with the middle initial, it appears.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7190 comments I see some titles originally published with the K, but most not. Do we not apply the policy of name on cover/originally published?

message 6: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

When there are two versions of a name, and the longer fully includes the shorter, and the author indicates they prefer the longer version of the name and does not keep the two names separate, we put everything under the longer version of the name.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7190 comments rivka wrote: "When there are two versions of a name, and the longer fully includes the shorter, and the author indicates they prefer the longer version of the name and does not keep the two names separate, we pu..."

As she is not a GR author, I don't see where we could notice a preference. Especially as nearly all of her books are published without the initial, and I suspect, but have no evidence, that the K on other social media is to disambiguate. (Not partaking in any social media other than GR might hamper me, but I choose to think not being there frees me to do more librarian edits, as other social media is even more of a time sink than GR!)

If an author has a common name, they may choose to differentiate their names from other authors in the database in other ways. Acceptable options include:

* inserting a middle initial or middle name
* lengthening a first initial to a full first name

These minor changes are accepted practice for ease of maintaining accurate book lists on each author profile.

I noted this above in #3, but as this author does not have a common author name - no other authors on GR - I don't see how we should know to insert an initial when a cover doesn't have one.

message 8: by rivka, Former Librarian Moderator (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I don't see where we could notice a preference."

rivka wrote: "Her Facebook profile has it. So does her Twitter account. (Both appear to be under her control.)"

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jul 05, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7190 comments rivka wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "I don't see where we could notice a preference."

rivka wrote: "Her Facebook profile has it. So does her Twitter account. (Both appear to be under her control.)""

As more than 75% of her covers are without the K, I thought that would show a preference. (I didn't actually do the math, it's probably even higher.) I'm not going to change it, of course, but I might have had the change not been done by a super, which led me here.

Edit: I have now added a librarian note to protect the K from other similar librarians who know of this author.