Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Lions of Al-Rassan-5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8427 comments The Lions of Al-Rassan

Set in a time and place that could be medieval Spain, but with a small "tweak" it could also be present day in the Middle East.

Three characters weave the story and intricate lines between "true believer" and "fanatic". In dangerous times, the lives of two men and a woman cross paths and they find themselves questioning faith and beliefs that could shake and change the world.

Guy Gavriel Kay is one of my favorite authors. He has a way with his words that pull you in and his characters become your friends that you cry and celebrate with.

The top shelf for this book is Fantasy-I do not understand that. Guy Kay is known for some fantasy works, this is NOT one of them. If I had to classify it anywhere but fiction I might put it into Historical-Fiction. If you are not a fantasy fan, don't let the GR classification turn you off.

message 2: by Jgrace (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Jgrace | 3111 comments Joanne wrote: "The Lions of Al-Rassan

Set in a time and place that could be medieval Spain, but with a small "tweak" it could also be present day in the Middle East.

Three characters weave the st..."

One of my favorite books ever. I'm so glad you liked it. You're right. It doesn't read like a fantasy, but it's also not set in the real world. I like Kay's 'historical' works, but although he uses real history as a framework, as you say, he tweeks it a bit and puts it on a make believe planet. This book also had the paranormal abilities of one of those twin boys ( can't remember the names right now). That steps it a bit closer to fantasy.

message 3: by Hope (new)

Hope | 150 comments I loved this one too. So beautifully written. I do think it’s fantasy but very based on real life historical periods so you’re right probably one that people who don’t like fantasy will enjoy.