SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach
What Else Are You Reading? > "Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach" by Kelly Robson (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 05, 2018 06:10AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
Sorry this is up late, I kept forgetting its name and then got distracted by AI gender every time I'd go look.

Anyways, here's the buddy read for our Inclusive Book Bingo for July! You do not need to play along to join in the discussion. Please use chapter titles and spoiler brackets so we can follow along!

Rachel | 1326 comments I was actually thinking it would be good to have a bit of space between these and the group reads so it’s not late! 😁

message 3: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9645 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "I was actually thinking it would be good to have a bit of space between these and the group reads"

Rachel, that's a great idea! I know I'm never going to be reading three things at the same time, although some people can do that.

Let's talk about it here.

Donald | 240 comments Just kicked this off and am enjoying it immensely at the moment. My only negative is trying to juggle Children of Time (needs to go back to the library next week) and it (owned, so lower priority).

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Just ordered it, should be here next week!

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Just started this last night. I'm about 50 pages in and so far I'm definitely intrigued.

Ariana | 657 comments Is there a word for when a book just throws you into the middle of things and you have to slowly piece together what's going on?

I feel like this is a delicate balance: too much in-the-middle-ness and it can be confusing and hard to follow, not enough and you just get big info dumps...

This one is starting out a little heavy on the in-the-middle-ness, but I'm usually willing to power through until things become clearer.

message 8: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana wrote: "Is there a word for when a book just throws you into the middle of things and you have to slowly piece together what's going on?"

Yoon Ha Lee? :D

Maybe I should start this one today.

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Interesting, here I am on the info dump side of things with Sea of Rust wishing it started in media res! Sounds like itll be a good palate cleanser :)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 291 comments I started this a couple of days ago coincidentally (or perhaps I was subconsciously remembering it was a buddy read!)

Really good so far, a fast read as well.

Rachel | 1326 comments Oh good I prefer being dumped into things! Makes my brain work a bit 😊

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 291 comments I like the way that Robson doesn't explain everything. that the history and technology is just the world in which the characters exist so we only gradually become aware of the situation.

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments On chapter 13 now. I would love my own fake to deal with people I don't want to deal with personally!

Spoilers for chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Ariana (last edited Jul 11, 2018 09:32PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments So this is fun!
Ch. 11, p. 118
(view spoiler)

Jordan (justiceofkalr) | 395 comments Oh, forgot to post here since I finished this. Thoughts on the end:

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

I've only just started. I'm really intrigued. It's such a wacky mix of things, like someone put a bunch of fiction words in a martini shaker and whatever strained out became a book idea.

And yet it seems to be working well!

message 17: by Ariana (last edited Jul 13, 2018 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Ch. 13
(view spoiler)

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments My copy just got to the library. I will pick it up and start tomorrow.

message 19: by Ariana (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Jordan wrote: "Oh, forgot to post here since I finished this. Thoughts on the end:

[spoilers removed]"

I totally agree! (view spoiler)

message 20: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

I read the first two chapters and now I’m angry at myself for not waiting until tomorrow! It’s 2:30AM and I’m struggling to keep my eyes open, but I want to keep reading! I have to sleep though :(

message 21: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've read nine chapters and am loving it. I'm worried seeing some of you have only rated it three stars though, so I'm prepared for something to blow up in my face soon.

Favorite part so far (chapter 3): (view spoiler)

message 22: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Excuse me Anna. They're legs. ;-)

message 23: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

I'm also enjoying it. Ariana I see what you mean about being thrown in! But it's so weird I'm having fun trying to piece it all together.

message 24: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 14, 2018 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes they are, I didn't say they weren't! I just want tentacles for *me* ! Because obviously tentacles are way cooler than plain old legs.

message 25: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ah, you want to be a squid plague baby then.

That's fair.

message 26: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 14, 2018 05:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

lol, no squid tentacles, please! You've already seen my tentacles, I'll show everyone else in just a few days! :D

Everyone, keep your eyes peeled for lurking tentacles!

message 27: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

O.o

message 28: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Finished. Loved it! I might bump my rating up to 5, I'll need to think about it.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Ariana (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Anna wrote: "Finished. Loved it! I might bump my rating up to 5, I'll need to think about it.

[spoilers removed]"

Hopefully this is the one that gets you out of your book slump! You're due for a streak of good ones.

message 30: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yes, I'm feeling happy about reading once again, there are still lovely things out there! I wasn't too worried about this one, I've liked most Tor.com novellas lately, and many of them have been simply amazing.

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments I got the book yesterday, and I am 5 chapters in.

It feels like it is moving slowly even though the plot started immediately.

I assume the tentacles will be explained later.

Bureaucratic time travel reminds me of Poul Anderson.

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments I am now 9 chapters in.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jamesboggie wrote: "I am now 9 chapters in.

James, my thoughts on your question:

(view spoiler)

Rachel | 1326 comments Just started this (and Head on) about -25 pages into both. At some point I’ll get to checking spoilers but I did not bring my laptop on this trip.

I’m enjoying the perspective of crotchety old lady (spouse already makes jokes about me yelling “ Get off my lawn!!” .....though I haven’t gotten there yet....) I understand her feeling about those young spry things.

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments I just finished Chapter 14.

(view spoiler)

Rachel | 1326 comments Anyone in the good reads librarians group? I notice that the listing has it at 176 or something pages but my copy has well over 200....it irked me.

message 37: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 18, 2018 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am, which edition do you have?

edit: I see the paperback has 240 pages on Amazon, I'll edit
edit2: And the kindle is 233 pages, both are fixed

Rachel | 1326 comments Oh thank you!!!

message 39: by Jamesboggie (last edited Jul 18, 2018 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments I just finished Chapter 19.

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Jamesboggie wrote: "(view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

Jamesboggie wrote: "(view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

message 41: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

re: Ariana/Jamesboggie

This contains some spoilers for the end of the novella. I tried, but I can't remember what came when, since I read most of it in one sitting. I did remove the actual end of book spoilers, but you can still read between the lines. Sorry, but I think you'll finish pretty soon if you're at chapter 19.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

I was mad at all that too. Actually very little of the story makes sense to me. Which is a shame, because I love all its trappings and frippery.

message 43: by Bree (last edited Jul 19, 2018 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments I read this in one sitting, enjoyed the mental exercise of matching up when the narratives would blend.
A few questions and considered answers:
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

Hey Bree, can you please put spoiler tags? We're not all done with the book!!

message 45: by Bree (last edited Jul 19, 2018 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bree Verity (breeverity) | 28 comments I tried to Alison but I’m on the iPad. Do you want me to pull the comments down?
Nope, it was just me being computer illiterate again. Spoiler tags now attached :-)

message 46: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 2 stars

It looks good to me!! Thanks so much! Great questions, I'm gonna respond :)

message 47: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jul 19, 2018 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

End of book spoilers, response to Bree:

(view spoiler)

message 48: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - rated it 4 stars

re: time travel, you can read all about how it works in Robson's own words here. The gist:

"I’m not particularly interested in paradoxes or altering the future by changing the past. My time travel is designed to be consequence-free. This is because what I like best about time travel — my favorite bit — is the ability to see how people really lived."

Jamesboggie (goodreadscomjamesboggie) | 77 comments Finished last night.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Jul 19, 2018 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I feel like I'm in a different timeline, or maybe I read the story from a different timeline. Or did I love it because my heat addled brain is so stupid it can't process logic?

What has everyone got against Mesopotamia? I don't understand :D

I still love it <3 and everything made perfect sense to me. Now excuse me while I scuttle outta here and go hang on my shower wall.

« previous 1