Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Sisters Brothers
This topic is about The Sisters Brothers
Buddy Reads > Sisters Brothers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Finished up the last book I was reading a bit sooner than expected, so I started this this morning.

So far I think I like it - the style/tone of it. It's narrated by one of the brothers, though the dialogue sounds really wooden and unnatural.

Not very far in yet, but the brutality seems realistic enough. :-/

message 2: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments As a side note, the copy I have has an oldey timey picture on the front:

But I'm having a hard time trying to imagine the one brother as John C. Reilly, who's playing him in the movie adaptation. (It doesn't help that I kind of don't like Reilly and can't take him seriously... though I think he's been tarnished with my "dislike of Will Ferrell" brush, which isn't necessarily fair to him.)

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I'm almost finished this. Can't say it's really been my cuppa.

I don't really mind the random violence or "grittiness" or just harsh, disgustingness of some of the stuff that happens, because it makes sense for the characters and the time period.

But the droning style of the narration just sort of makes it a slog, for me.

I'll be glad to be done it.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "Oh that doesn't sound promising. :/ Stilted narration and/or dialogue is a pet peeve of mine. I still have two of the Lady Trent books to do because I, uh, played video games all weekend, so I'll g..."

lol

message 5: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Nicki wrote: "Oh that doesn't sound promising. :/ Stilted narration and/or dialogue is a pet peeve of mine. I still have two of the Lady Trent books to do because I, uh, played video games all weekend, so I'll g..."

message 6: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Apparently it's meant to be funny, but I can't say I've gotten the humor.

I was just reading a review that said it was like Cohen brothers kind of humor and, frankly, I admit to never quite getting their movies, so... *shrugs*

message 7: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments Coen brothers are hit and miss with me. Some of them I've loved, and others I've hated and some fit in the middle somewhere.

Yes, I know this was a totally useless post.

message 8: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments Chris wrote: "Coen brothers are hit and miss with me. Some of them I've loved, and others I've hated and some fit in the middle somewhere.

Yes, I know this was a totally useless post."

Well, it did make me look up their movies and discover I've only seen 4 out of, like, 24. O Brother, Where Art Thou wasn't bad...

message 9: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "Chris wrote: "Coen brothers are hit and miss with me. Some of them I've loved, and others I've hated and some fit in the middle somewhere.

Yes, I know this was a totally useless post."

Well, it ..."

I've seen and been interested in 0.

message 10: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I've seen and been interested in 0."

I don't think you'd like this book, anyway, because of the gruesomeness of some of it.

message 11: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I like actiony books. But I think you're right.

message 12: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "I like actiony books. But I think you're right."

This...

This is not actiony.

message 13: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new) - rated it 1 star

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments How's it going with this, Nicki?

Ahmad Al-mutawa (abunoor) What was the deal with the weeping man? Was he supposed to symbolize something?

What's with the witch's spell? did it take effect on Eli? Or was that supposed to be comedy? a dark comedy?

We never know who are the people that Charlie was speaking with when Eli was pretending to be sleeping at the beginning of the book. We don't know why it was mentioned if there was no outcome of it when we read the final page of this book.

I enjoyed the book, but having these un-answered questions bothered me a lot.

I wonder if anyone else asked the same questions, or possibly know/speculate the answers to these question.