Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gaol/Nominations > September, 2018 Nominations- Scandal

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments For September, 2018, we are reading Historical Romances with scandals

Rules of Nominations :

Not more than 2 nominations per member
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs (Please check the group's bookshelf).

Lists:
Scandal in the Title - I am not sure how many of these really feature a scandal!
Social Outcasts

Nominations end on 20th of July, 2018

message 2: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 04, 2018 11:46PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I’d like to nominate A Lady's Lesson in Scandal by Meredith Duran.

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1189 comments A Scandalous Scot by Karen Ranney.

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4104 comments Mod
I am down with all of these options!

I will add Love and Other Scandals by Caroline Linden — one of my favorites.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments I can't think of anything to add here but if I think of something I'll pop back to add it. Meanwhile, some of these options already suggested look pretty good.

message 7: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments I'd like to nominate That Scandalous Summer, by Meredith Duran. I didn't see it on the bookshelf.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Lorien wrote: "I'd like to nominate That Scandalous Summer, by Meredith Duran. I didn't see it on the bookshelf."

I enjoyed this one, but it seems to be polarizing. It would be a good discussion in a group read I think.

message 9: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Lorien wrote: "I'd like to nominate That Scandalous Summer, by Meredith Duran. I didn't see it on the bookshelf."

Wasn't my fav by Duran.

message 10: by Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 (last edited Jul 16, 2018 05:19AM) (new)

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments I'd like to nominate An Invitation to Scandal by Kelly Boyce...not on the list but all in for whatever is selected. :-)

message 11: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe | 38 comments where's the group bookshelf?

am i too late to add a nomination?

message 12: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hi Phoebe, nominations are still open. They will close tomorrow. Thanks!

message 13: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Will the link to voting be posted here?

message 14: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe | 38 comments thanks, and where do i find the group bookshelf?

message 15: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hi Phoebe,

Sorry for missing your question earlier! I was on the app and it cut it off. Here’s the link to the bookshelf:

https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

If you’re not on the app, you can get to it by scrolling to the bottom of the group’s homepage. I am not sure how to get to it from the app.

message 16: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Lorien wrote: "Will the link to voting be posted here?"

Yes, Lorien. It will be posted here. Also, a message will be broadcasted to all members with an invite to vote. You can find the poll at the bottom of the group homepage too, as long as it is open.

message 17: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Pheobe wrote: "thanks, and where do i find the group bookshelf?"

If you are using the desktop version on your mobile browser, you can see the group links( Group home, bookshelf, members, polls etc..) on the right upper corner of any page in the group. Click on the bookshelf link to access the shelf.

message 18: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Priya wrote: "Lorien wrote: "Will the link to voting be posted here?"

Yes, Lorien. It will be posted here. Also, a message will be broadcasted to all members with an invite to vote. You can find the poll at the..."

Thanx Priya, I missed it last month. :)

message 19: by Phoebe (last edited Jul 19, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

Phoebe | 38 comments Thanks so much guys!
In that case, though about a dozen novels i've read with the word scandal in the title come to mind, i nominate:

Scandal of the year by Laura Lee Guhrke
Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2) by Laura Lee Guhrke

I just read the blurb, and it's nothing like the whole torrid tryst that publishers tried to depict. that's just bait.

this is a mysterious, intriguing story about the intelligent, strong heroine's tragic circumstances, and the aftermath of what she did to protect herself. and also about the way the honourable, straight-laced, gentlemanly hero is there for her during tough times; even though her actions lead him and society to believe that she's a scandalous, reckless, dishonest, and maybe manipulative woman that he shouldn't associate with. He still can't stop himself from loving her, and after that he finds out her true story. she's very much misunderstood by everyone.
There isn't that blind, emotionless lust, that's depicted in the blurb. But rather an aching longing and desire.

(Don't mind the "Abandoned at the Alter series title, it doesn't describe this novel. and I recommend reading this as a stand alone even though it's part of a series)

It's a superb, high quality read. Like a very good Sherry Thomas without all the angst.

i'll post a better, detailed opinion of it on the polls page.

have any of you read it?

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1189 comments I haven't read it, but thanks for the additional info, Phoebe!

message 21: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Pheobe wrote: "Thanks so much guys!
In that case, though about a dozen novels i've read with the word scandal in the title come to mind, i nominate:

Scandal of the year by Laura Lee Guhrke
[bookcover:Scandal of..."

I listened to it a couple of years ago. I would try again if we do read. I question the “without all the angst” part. Definitely a good option for this category!

message 22: by Priya (last edited Jul 23, 2018 10:08PM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Vote for September group read.
Voting ends on 5th August, 2018.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.