Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Crimi Noir fiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ralph (new)

ralph Redhead | 5 comments First chapters or full novel readers sought, please. Thank you

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul (sus4th) | 8 comments Can you provide any more information on the novel? Length, a short blurb or synopsis, perhaps? I have beta-read several novels that have gone on to be self-published, and crime fiction is my preferred genre.

message 3: by ralph (new)

ralph Redhead | 5 comments Hi Paul - thanks for getting in touch with me. Although I've been taking developing my writing seriously, I'm new to beta readers, and so not sure about protocol and such like. I usually use a professional mentoring source in London, highly respected, but have learned that its good to get some down to earth feedback from good readers. Do you have work to be read too? I'm happy to do a swap and read through if you need someone. I have been a member of a small writers group too. Get back to me and then I'll send you more info, but I will be busy untill Tuseday, I expect. Have a great weekend. Regards, Keith

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (sus4th) | 8 comments Hi Keith,
Yes, I can do a swap. I have a hardboiled murder mystery, the second in a series (but I'm hoping it will work as a standalone). It is about the coroner of a small town on the California coast who investigates the death of the mayor while dealing with her rich estranged father, who is the most powerful man for miles around. It's 95,000 words. It will be ready to give to you in about two weeks. What is the length of your book, and what is the premise?

message 5: by ralph (new)

ralph Redhead | 5 comments Paul wrote: "Hi Keith,
Yes, I can do a swap. I have a hardboiled murder mystery, the second in a series (but I'm hoping it will work as a standalone). It is about the coroner of a small town on the California c..."

Hi Paul - thanks for the offer of a swap, it sounds like my sort of reading. I enjoy TC Boyle, Grisham (who doesn't ;-), Chandler and Steinbeck. I've been to California, I have friends in Culver City and have visited the LA cost, Santa Barbara and San Diego whilst there.
I have about 160K words second-drafted, with 40-50K to follow. The novel is set on the North East coast of England, in Northumberland, a region I know well: A young woman, rebuilding her life after a difficult childhood and teenage years, and a catastrophic marriage, has a weakness for bad boys. Her latest is her nemisis. Katie reluctantly becomes embroiled with a loner accused of murder, and in the investigation of the death of her younger sister. She falls into turmoil as she discovers her ex-lover and investigations are entwinded. Her life is in danger untill a surprise saviour rescues her from peril.
My mentor describes this novel as 'Northumberland Noir'.
I can swap the whole novel, but it will be a few weeks yet before it is at least ready as a second draft.
Regards, Keith

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul (sus4th) | 8 comments I've read quite a bit of English mystery fiction (everything from Faith Martin to Agatha Christie) and noir is up my alley. My novel will be ready for a beta read this week (I hope!), so I can get you the link for an ebook download soon. I will private message you over Goodreads!