Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's June 2018 books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments I had some lighter / shorter fare in June including some poetry, along with a couple of nice long books; some favorite authors and a couple of new to me authors.

The Outsider
The Rules of Magic
The Mars Room
Blackbird House
I've Been Thinking . . .Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations for a Meaningful Life
Magpie Murders
The Bone Farm
Shinrin-Yoku: The Art and Science of Forest Bathing
Planting Gardens in Graves
Murder's a Witch
King, Stephen The Outsider Audible Finished 6/4/2018 audio ranked 9.5 of 10
Oh my goodness, wow. This started out making me very uncomfortable (Uncle Stevie is very good at that!) and then turned into a runaway train of a story I could barely put down. Creepy, maddening, and dangerous as we rush to the denouement; wonderfully narrated by Will Patton who is so good I forgive him the gravely and breathless female voices that I have come to embrace.

Hoffman, Alice The Rules of Magic Audio Read 6/8/2018 Rank 9.5 of 10
So very good, a journey back in time, revisiting Magnolia Street, Owens family secrets, revealing emotions, dreams, magic, heartbreak, and yes, love.

Kushner, Rachel The Mars Room Audio read 6/12/2018 Rank 9 of 10
The California Women's penal system illuminated by stories told from different perspectives from the inside. Thought provoking, at times maddening and heart breaking.

Hoffman, Alice Blackbird House Audio Read 6/16/2018 Rank 9 of 10
Intriguing interlinked stories, leaving you with a jumping off place to follow the story into the next one or beyond. Often I found myself both satisfied and left with the desire to go further with the characters and a wistful wish for more.

Shriver, Maria I've Been Thinking . . .Reflections, Prayers, and Meditations for a Meaningful Life  print read 6/16/2018 Rank 9 of 10
Read by the author and such good advice; thoughtful reminders about who we are and where we are going.

Horowitz, Anthony Magpie Murders audio Read 6/22/2018 Rank 9.25 of 10
A fiendishly clever puzzle of a book, a homage to classic whodunit mysteries, authors and publishers; presented in a thrilling novel way.

Koontz, Dean The Bone Farm Jane Hawk 0.5 Audible audio Read 6/25/2018 Ran 8.75 of 10
A prequel glimpse into Jane's world before.

Miyazaki, Yoshifumi Shinrin Yoku The Art and Science of Forest Bathing Print Read 6/28/2018
Rank 8.5 of 10
This book confirms that forests are wonderful places to spend quality time through science and extensive experience in Japan where 69% of the country is covered in forests and the culture appreciates nature and trees. I listened to a podcast about Forest Bathing and the author was interviewed, (the podcast was great, the book ok)

Sin, r.h. Planting Gardens in Graves print Read 6/29/2018LRank 8 of 10 short phrase poetry

Garrett, Danielle Murder's a Witch (Beechwood Harbor Magic Mysteries, #1) audio Read 6/29/2018 Rank 8.75 of 10
Light paranormal fun with a spunky main character. I read a free short prequel and was intrigued and wanted something light.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Wow, what a variety of offerings this month! Love your summaries, and your review of The Outsider is very helpful as I wrestle with that early uncomfortable part of the book.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1343 comments Good month Ann, Blackbird house looks interesting.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1343 comments Amy wrote: "Good month Ann, Blackbird house looks interesting."

I just got it for my Kindle.

message 5: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments I hope to get The Outsider read this month!

message 6: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3837 comments Amy wrote: "Good month Ann, Blackbird house looks interesting."

i really liked blackbird house. actually read it twice- once when it was released, and again with my book club last year.

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1657 comments Wow! Great variety this month Ann!

message 8: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Ohhhh I LOVED RULES OF MAGIC! I loved Practical Magic but this was even better to me! I haven't read Blackbird House. Wil have to get that one! I love everything she writes! I will also have to find that Jane Hawk prequel since I jist started The Silent Corner.

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15083 comments Ceelee: I think I liked The Rules of Magic a bit more too, but loved both. I think the Jane Hawk prequel might be audio only (audible.com)
Ceelee wrote: "Ohhhh I LOVED RULES OF MAGIC! I loved Practical Magic but this was even better to me! I haven't read Blackbird House. Wil have to get that one! I love everything she writes! I will also have to find that Jane Hawk prequel since I jist started The Silent Corner.
.."