You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Organizing Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments So, just rearranged my bookshelf and it looks glorious! This got me wondering how you guys organize your bookshelves.

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51953 comments I haven't unpacked my books from when I moved in almost a year ago. I need to get it done!

I'll put finished books on the bottom shelf and unread books on the top shelves. I generally arrange by size.

How did you do yours?

message 3: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20712 comments I also separate read books from unread books. I keep my read ones on the top shelf for now. I generally arrange by size too, but keep books from the same author together.

message 4: by Books With Chi (last edited Jul 05, 2018 09:26PM) (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments Janice wrote: "I haven't unpacked my books from when I moved in almost a year ago. I need to get it done!

I'll put finished books on the bottom shelf and unread books on the top shelves. I generally arrange by s..."

My favorite authors get their own shelves. So my Rick Riordan books are on the top shelf. My Sarah J. Maas books on the second shelf. Then I organize by size, tallest books first down to the shortest. I also try to keep the books in the same genre together and series together as well. So, it's a real puzzle organizing my bookshelf sometimes.

Separating read and nonread books is a good idea though. Just don't have the space for that.....yet.

message 5: by Dorottya (new)

Dorottya (dorottya_b) | 35 comments Basically, wherever I have some place, I shove a book in :D. And I try to keep my TBR in the first rows.

If I had more space, I would definitely do the following:
- series belonging together
- stand-alones by color (not rainbow, but 1 color / shelf) and if possible, by height

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 261 comments Currently, my shelves are in a jumble. I tried to sort my books last year with some success, but the problem is that I have too many books and not enough bookshelves. I donated 5 boxes of books to the library last week and that didn't even begin to make a dent.

The one thing that I always do is have an eye level bookshelf which contains any borrowed books, as I don't want to get those mixed in with all the other books.

When the project is finished, it will be sorted by type and then alphabetically by author. My goal is to have it finished by Thanksgiving or the end of the year.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 20, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Most of my unread books are ebooks, but I also have one shelf with unread paper books. I also have one shelf for Dutch books and series go together, and I try to keep fantasy on the same shelves as well, but the rest (which is mostly historical fiction) just go where there's room. I'm running out of space at the moment though.