Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Day Shift (Midnight, Texas, #2)
This topic is about Day Shift
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harris, Charlaine-- Day Shift informal buddy read starts July 8, 2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31609 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Day Shift byCharlaine Harris.

Synopsis
In Midnight Crossroad, Charlaine Harris returns to the one-traffic-light town you see only when you’re on the way to someplace else....
There is no such thing as bad publicity, except in Midnight, Texas, where the residents like to keep to themselves. Even in a town full of secretive people, Olivia Charity is an enigma. She lives with the vampire Lemuel, but no one knows what she does; they only know that she’s beautiful and dangerous.

Psychic Manfred Bernardo finds out just how dangerous when he goes on a working weekend to Dallas and sees Olivia there with a couple who are both found dead the next day. To make matters worse, one of Manfred’s regular — and very wealthy — clients dies during a reading.

Manfred returns from Dallas embroiled in scandal and hounded by the press. He turns to Olivia for help; somehow he knows that the mysterious Olivia can get things back to normal. As normal as things get in Midnight...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Brooke | 1199 comments Ooh - I think I will participate in this one! I recently read Midnight Crossing, and while I just thought it was okay, I think this one might be better.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments Perfect timing, I almost suggested a BR for this one myself. I'm in from Team Minerva.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Team Sprout - looking forward to starting this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the TV show got a season 2?

Deanna | 2960 comments I'm excited to start this one. I'll be starting after dinner this evening for Team Flitwick.

Deanna | 2960 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Team Sprout - looking forward to starting this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the TV show got a season 2?"

Yes, it got renewed. THe second season is supposed to start the end of October.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Team Sprout - looking forward to starting this tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the TV show got a season 2?"

Yes, it got renewed. THe second season is supposed to start the e..."

Good to know!

Deanna | 2960 comments Read through chapter 7 this evening...

Well that was a completely different start. The first book started with this nice meandering pace that gave you plenty of time to get a sense of the town. This one jumps right into the action and takes off running at the beginning.

The hotel - (view spoiler)

Olivia - (view spoiler)

Manfred - (view spoiler)

The boy - (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I haven't started yet. I over did it on the buddy reads. But I will start it very soon. Probably tomorrow.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments through chapter 4
(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Deanna wrote: "Read through chapter 7 this evening...

Well that was a completely different start. The first book started with this nice meandering pace that gave you plenty of time to get a sense of the town. Th..."

The hotel (view spoiler)

Manfred (view spoiler)

The boy (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I started today but didn't get far. But the hotel has me dying with curiosity. It's clearly not what it appears to be and also likely to grow in importance as the series progresses. A set up for future happenings.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments Maybe it's a retirement home for supes.

Deanna | 2960 comments Chapters 8 - 15

Olivia - (view spoiler)

Manfred - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2960 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Maybe it's a retirement home for supes."

There's an intriguing idea. Now you're tempting me to read further today to find out.

message 18: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4450 comments I''m just getting started. I haven't read the first book or seen the TV show.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments SandyL wrote: "I''m just getting started. I haven't read the first book or seen the TV show."

I would recommend reading the first book before starting this one. It will make a lot more sense.

Brooke | 1199 comments I’m stuck in a 3-day team meeting for work that involves starting at 8:30am and ending after dinner at around 9pm. Ugh. I hope to start this tonight but it might not be until tomorrow or Wednesday.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I would not start with book 2 in this series.

Brook, I probably won’t make much progress until tomorrow evening either.

Deanna | 2960 comments Brooke wrote: "I’m stuck in a 3-day team meeting for work that involves starting at 8:30am and ending after dinner at around 9pm. Ugh. I hope to start this tonight but it might not be until tomorrow or Wednesday."

Join us when you can. This one is my most interesting book at the moment, so I will finish it quickly. I'm always glad to continue hanging out and chatting while others finish, especially when I like the book so much.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Deanna wrote: "Chapters 8 - 15

Olivia - [spoilers removed]

Manfred - [spoilers removed]"

Olivia (view spoiler)

Fiji (view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Thanks Mary & Deanna! Today started with a 5am flight and I am just now getting back to my hotel after 10pm. Tomorrow my day starts at 8am sharp with a meeting with the president of my company and goes through dinner with no breaks, so I think sleeping is probably the better idea today. At least Wednesday I have a long flight home in the evening, and I get some of my best reading done on planes (if I can keep my eyes open).

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I am going to Mexico the last week of July and then I have one day home before I have to leave for my first big business trip. I wish it was a different week but I am excited to go.

message 26: by Mary C (last edited Jul 10, 2018 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I got a little read last night.

Deanna: The boy (blanking on his name at the moment): (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2960 comments Finished chapters 16 - 23

Barry - (view spoiler)

The plan and the town - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 16 - 23

Barry - [spoilers removed]

The hotel - [spoilers removed]

The plan and the town - [spoilers removed]"

Barry (view spoiler)

The hotel(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2960 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 16 - 23

Barry [spoilers removed]

The hotel[spoilers removed]"

Re: Barry - (view spoiler)

message 30: by Diane ~Firefly~ (last edited Jul 10, 2018 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments ch 24 to end

The hotel (view spoiler)

Lewis (view spoiler)

Olivia (view spoiler)

The boy, Diederick (view spoiler)

Overall (view spoiler)

message 31: by Deanna (last edited Jul 11, 2018 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2960 comments Finished! 24 - end...

Barry - (view spoiler)

Olivia - (view spoiler)

Diederick - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2960 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 24 to end

The hotel [spoilers removed]

Lewis [spoilers removed]

Olivia [spoilers removed]

The boy, Diederick [spoilers removed]

Overall [spoilers removed]"

I agree on all points. The last chapter definitely peaked my curiosity about the Reeds. Would you be interested in BR the last book? After July 20 sometime perhaps?

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 24 to end

Lewis [spoilers removed]

Overall [spoilers removed]

I agree on all points. The last chapter definitely peaked my curiosity about the Reeds. Would you be interested in BR the last book? After July 20 sometime perhaps?"

Sure, I'll read the last one. I'm wide open from July 20 on.

Brooke | 1199 comments I only made it through the first 2 chapters last night before falling asleep on the plane. I'm running on just a few hours of sleep nightly since Friday, so I hope I get a second wind this evening and can read a chunk of the story.

The start is definitely different in this one. I'm intrigued by the hotel in Midnight, since it is just a one-light town. I'm also looking forward to learning more about Olivia in this one.

(view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I haven't made much progress over the last couple of days but I plan to focus on this one now. I had too many BRs going at once and decided I just needed to pick one and finish. Which I did this morning.

Brooke | 1199 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I haven't made much progress over the last couple of days but I plan to focus on this one now. I had too many BRs going at once and decided I just needed to pick one and finish. Which I did this mo..."

I overcommitted on BR in late May/early June and totally get it. I finally did what you did and chose one to finish before moving on to another. I'm about to run into that situation again, so I need to get a chunk of this one read tonight as well as finish another one in progress. If only we could stop time to allow ourselves to catch up!

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I had 2 weeks with no BRS because a couple got delayed. Then of course everyone is ready to read them all at once.

Deanna | 2960 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 24 to end

Lewis [spoilers removed]

Overall [spoilers remo..."

Yeah! I put in a request for [bookcover:Night Shift|25250449] starting July 20th.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I'm going to look for it from the library, but I'm leaving for Mexico on the 21st and may or may not be able to actually participate in discussion.

I finally made a large dent in Day Shift this morning. So I'll be posting come comments after I can go back and read other comments.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments I loved Barry being in the book and was hoping he'd become a resident of Midnight.

I like this series a lot.

Wasn't Sookie's boyfriend Quinn from a couple of the early books of her series the same thing as Diederick?

Deanna | 2960 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I loved Barry being in the book and was hoping he'd become a resident of Midnight.

I like this series a lot.

Wasn't Sookie's boyfriend Quinn from a couple of the early books of her series the s..."

I had to google to double check because I couldn't remember. Yes he was. Maybe there are more of them than they think.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2239 comments Wasn't Diederick's father named Quinn?

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5266 comments Yes, I posted my comment before I finished the book last night.

Brooke | 1199 comments Through chapter 15

(view spoiler)

Brooke | 1199 comments Through chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Still lots to wrap up in the last 30% or so of the book, but it is definitely more interesting than the first book in the series. I've got a full plate this evening, but I'm hoping to squeeze in enough reading time to finish this one tonight!

Brooke | 1199 comments Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Finished chapters 16 - 23"

Re: Barry - [spoilers removed]"

I don't remember much about Barry from the Sookie Stackhouse series other than the role he played in book 2, which takes place in Dallas. Sookie encounters him in a restaurant and they are involved in a big vampire attack.

Deanna | 2960 comments Brooke wrote: "Through chapter 24..."

The missing jewels - (view spoiler)

Lewis - (view spoiler)

Fiji - (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Day Shift (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlaine Harris (other topics)