Retro Reads discussion

Group Reads > September Poll is up - edit; We have 2 winners!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Christmas Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 1751 comments Mod
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

It should be on the home page as well. :)

message 2: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 209 comments I voted for Queen Lucia because I have been meaning to read some of the Mapp and Lucia series, but I'm happy to read any or all of the others!

message 3: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 272 comments I voted for My Friend Flicka, because I’d love a chance to reread one of my favorite books. I still have my childhood copy. (I was a horse-crazy little girl. 😊)

message 4: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Yes, me too, Peggy! At one point as a kid I used to sleep with my riding boots by my pillow--the better to inhale the scent of horse and dream sweetly :D

message 5: by Hana (last edited Jul 10, 2018 01:09PM) (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Peggy, have you reread the whole trilogy as an adult? It's pretty amazing (shameless plug for Mary O'Hara inserted here). It's great historical fiction, very grounded in a particular time and place, but most important for me it's a brilliant portrait of a family and a marriage. Nell and Rob are among the most under-rated couples in Retro-Reading history.

message 6: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 272 comments I haven't read them in ages; looks like I need to add a reread to my TBR list.

Hana wrote: "Peggy, have you reread the whole trilogy as an adult? It's pretty amazing (shameless plug for Mary O'Hara inserted here). It's great historical fiction, very grounded in a particular..."

message 7: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments The Green Grass of Wyoming is one of my favorite books, ever; just by typing the name the scenery, the smells, the whole Wyoming experience floods my memory.

message 8: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I totally agree, Karlyne. And not one, but two love stories!

message 9: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 34 comments A couple I would read here, but I voted forThe Day of the Locust, because I'm always thinking that it's about something else (like, completely different, theme, plot, location). I figure reading the book will stick better than reading the blurb

Karlyne wrote: "The Green Grass of Wyoming is one of my favorite books, ever; just by typing the name the scenery, the smells, the whole Wyoming experience floods my memory."

I own that, but not the other two in the trilogy!

message 11: by Hana (new)

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Day of the Locust sounds interesting. I'm putting it on my TBR list. I'm glad we are adding some male authors from the retro period.

I could almost make a case for reading Green Grass of Wyoming as a stand-alone, although to really get the Rob and Nell marriage story arc you have to at least read Thunderhead.

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Because I don't own Thunderhead, I've only read it once, but I visit Green Grass periodically!

A reminder that voting will be finishing soon! :)

We have two winners.

The Scapegoat & The Dean's Watch

So The Scapegoat will be our September read (starting the 15th) & The Dean's Watch will be our October read (starting date to be advised)

Thanks to everyone who voted!

message 15: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 500 comments Okay! Two new-to-me books to look forward to...

message 16: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Me, too! I know I can get Deans Watch, now I have to track down Scapegoat....

message 17: by Kavan (new)

Kavan | 85 comments Cannot wait to read these two!

message 18: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 32 comments Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and can't wait to re-read them!

message 19: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 1414 comments Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and can't wait to re-read them!"

Congratulations, mum!

message 20: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and can't wait to re-read them!"

Theresa, are you in the Georgette Heyer group, too? We had a very funny discussion on the Royal Escape thread that featured your son's wedding!

message 21: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 32 comments Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and can't wait to r..." really? How interesting, no I'm not a member of that group...can't imagine how my son's wedding could have been referred to tho : )

message 22: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 500 comments Theresa wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and..."

Theresa, it's very simple. I mis-read the exchange you had with Susan(NC) as Susan's son getting married, then mentioned it over on the Heyer group chit-chat thread where we are both members.. My error was quickly pointed out. I hope your son's wedding was lovely.

message 23: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 32 comments Barb in Maryland wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I lov..." thanks, it was nice... July is hot (and it was hot that day but no one felt it because there was a wonderful cross-breeze that made it feel like 70, everyone remarked on it!) thanks for commenting : ) Theresa

Theresa wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I love both books and..."

The Georgette Heyer group can go way off track & be talking at cross purposes a lot of the time! ( I moderate that group as well,so I'm allowed to say that! ;) )

message 25: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 32 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I lov..."
I suppose all 'book groups' do that once in a while : ) I haven't read a Heyer book in a while, love her mysteries : )

message 26: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 1964 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Karlyne wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Thank you for all the nominations and votes... I have been MIA for a while, my son got married mid-July so July was kind of a whirlwind for me! I lov..."

Our off-track thread is aptly named "Royal Escape from the Topic". It's a hybrid cross of Heyer's books and Facebook....