Play Book Tag discussion

Dark Matter
This topic is about Dark Matter
July 2018: Dystopian > Dark Matter - Blake Crouch - 4.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Can you honestly say “I am happy with my life; I live my life with no regrets”? This concept is the foundation of Blake Crouch's novel, Dark Matter. While I have read a few dystopian novels, I have not read one quite like this one. So fantastically real as it weaves a mind-altering possible new normal, the two extremes of science fiction and realistic fiction feel perfectly balanced.

The story begins with a seemingly random kidnapping, but quickly spirals down a path that bends the line between choice and consequence just as easily as reality. With his masterful manipulation of science, the author forces the reader into a reality unlike anything ever before experienced on a journey through different worlds of self discovery. There were concepts discussed that were foreign to me, yet they were written in such a way that I never felt distracted or overwhelmed by knowledge that was clearly above my head. Instead, the author effectively used these concepts to demonstrate a physical representation of the mind's most elusive concept: choice.

For those of you who are familiar with my reviews, you know that characters are so foundational to me. But Dark Matter is a dystopian novel in a class of its own. It is impossible for me to break down the players in this story, as they cannot be separated from the nearly psychedelic storyline. Even the ending of the novel cannot be singled out for specific review. Instead, this book is about the journey. It's about the path not taken, it's about the path taken, and it's about self. Regret, self-loathing, self-understanding, selfishness, and finally self-acceptance.

There is nonstop movement with twists and turns that, while unpredictable, do make sense as the story moves forward. What is interesting about this story is that I felt the reader is the one who determines which point is more important. A person who has little interest in science fiction, or even science, for that matter, can easily find satisfaction in the realism expressed, whereas the science geek can choose to follow the physical manifestation of the physics paradox through to its conclusion. This story of Jason’s life is both a physical and cerebral journey.

Dark Matter is a story about choice. For me it was good one, thoroughly and perfectly unexpected, yet refreshing and fulfilling. Reading this book is a choice I hope a lot of people will make, and what you get out of it is entirely up to you, the reader, based on your life and your choices.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9324 comments Brilliant review! You’ve been such a positive addition to our group. I read this one a year and a half ago, and it stayed with me because it was so interesting. So glad that this tag allowed you to read it.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Jul 04, 2018 07:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7456 comments I'm glad you liked this and obviously people have shelved this dystopia even though it's scifi 100 percent but not a dystopia. It's a scifi thriller, though.

(banging head on wall--perhaps I should skip these since I clearly think of dystopian as it originally meant) - an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one.

It's kind of like shelving novels romance that are anything but yet do have some kind of love interest in it. (like classifying Bleak House a romance, for example, because various couples fall in love and get engaged within the larger story). And, yes, 44 people have actually shelved it as romance (banging head on wall again although that makes more sense than does this one being shelved dystopian).

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments Rachel, wonderful review. I especially liked how you pointed out "What is interesting about this story is that I felt the reader is the one who determines which point is more important."

I loved the science and the story so I loved it all. Wonderful book and makes you take a step back to look at your view of your life for better or worse.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "Brilliant review! You’ve been such a positive addition to our group. I read this one a year and a half ago, and it stayed with me because it was so interesting. So glad that this tag allowed you to..."

Thank you Amy and thank you for this recommendation. Now to the next recommendation.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Karin wrote: "I'm glad you liked this and obviously people have shelved this dystopia even though it's scifi 100 percent but not a dystopia. It's a scifi thriller, though.

(banging head on wall--perhaps I shoul..."

As I read this book I was wondering about the dystopian aspect of this book. This book seemed much more like sci fi intertwined with thriller. But as I read it I could see why it is also considered dystopian. The only dystopian I have read is Hunger Games and Divergent so this is what I was expecting. I really did love this book.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jason wrote: "Rachel, wonderful review. I especially liked how you pointed out "What is interesting about this story is that I felt the reader is the one who determines which point is more important."

I loved t..."

The science of this book was really good even for those of us who have no knowledge of physics.

message 8: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This is one of those book I wish I could go back and reread for the first time again.

Great review.

Karin | 7456 comments Rachel wrote: "Karin wrote: "I'm glad you liked this and obviously people have shelved this dystopia even though it's scifi 100 percent but not a dystopia. It's a scifi thriller, though.

(banging head on wall--p..."

I'll never see it as dystopian, but as I said, I'm more of a "purist" when it comes to what is called dystopian as it needs to actually be a dystopia. But opinions vary!!

message 10: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments UGH! I MUST GET TO THIS ONE!

I see nothing but great reviews of this and I know I would like it, but I just never seem to get to it!

message 11: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9324 comments If the book appeals to someone like me who is narrow and picky, you know it has to be good!

Karin | 7456 comments Nicole R wrote: "UGH! I MUST GET TO THIS ONE!

I see nothing but great reviews of this and I know I would like it, but I just never seem to get to it!"

I only gave it 3 stars, which means I liked it but that was it. Others seem to like it better.

Sarah | 95 comments Rachel wrote: "Can you honestly say “I am happy with my life; I live my life with no regrets”? This concept is the foundation of Blake Crouch's novel, Dark Matter. While I have read a few dystopian novels, I have..."

Thanks for a great review! I appreciate your definitions of choice and self for DM

Sarah | 95 comments Does anyone have a favorite character? DM allows one to examine the question: "Are you happy with your life?" or, would you like a redo if science made it possible

Jason Oliver | 2097 comments But then it might become the butterfly effect (movie) and that doesn't end well.

Sarah | 95 comments Jason wrote: "But then it might become the butterfly effect (movie) and that doesn't end well."

Thanks for a movie rec!

Kelly | 847 comments Great review! I enjoyed this book also!