Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > june 2018 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1238 comments Hi everyone. Had a good month since I concentrated on trying to catch up with some always reliable authors along with a great group read.

Top Reads

Blood Harvest by Sharon J. Bolton Blood Harvest
Sharon J. Bolton
Set in a rural town in the English Moors, this had just the right amount of creepiness, mixture of folklore and religion, and disturbing characters to keep me avidly turning the pages.

Trackers (Lemmer #2) by Deon Meyer Trackers
Deon Meyer
Always enjoy reading this author's work. While this book was a bit long and the plot quite complicated, everything came together in the end and the characters and South African setting were as well done as in previous books.

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann Killers of the Flower Moon
David Grann
Well written and researched account of a truly horrifying crime wave perpetrated against the Osage Tribe and the FBI's involvement in the case. The book was split into three sections and each had a different narrator in the audio version. Ann Marie Lee did a fairly standard narration of the first section while Will Patton was a bit more dramatic in the second and Danny Campbell handled the third.

The Facts of Life and Death by Belinda Bauer The Facts of Life and Death
Belinda Bauer
Set in a rural village in North Devon that is slowing falling back into the sea, this had a tense and creepy plot, unique characters, and great pacing and flow.

Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron Slow Horses
Mick Herron
As expected, I thought this was excellent. I always enjoy this author's writing style and this book had a complex plot, great characterizations, and just enough humor and wit to level out the tension.

Good Reads

Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #2) by Spencer Quinn Thereby Hangs a Tail
Spencer Quinn
Another fun adventure featuring Chet and Bernie. The agency is hired to protect a show dog but things go really wrong. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by Jim Frangione who channels Chet's voice perfectly.

Twisted Prey (Lucas Davenport #28) by John Sandford Twisted Prey
John Sandford
While entertaining not one of the best books in the series. Lucas and his fellow US Marshals were fine but plot was a bit out there and the ending a bit convenient. Listened to the audio version which was narrated by the always excellent Richard Ferrone.

message 2: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8310 comments Entertaining summaries as usual, Sandi!

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15088 comments Nice list Sandi! Several of them are tempting me. I agree about the narrators for Killers of the Flower Moon; the narration of the first segment almost moved me away from the audio to print. A very well written book but so disturbing and heartbreaking. I am glad we selected it as a group read.

message 4: by Ceelee (new)

Ceelee | 211 comments Very cool list Sandi! I read Killers of the Flower Moon last year and it totally blew me away! I have never heard this story and I live in North Texas! The story still haunts me! I also didn't know the Southwest Natiinal Archives was in Fort Worth which is our county seat. Oooooo I would love to get in there and look around!