Stephen King Book Club discussion

Skeleton Crew > Short stories 1-5 of Skeleton Crew

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Jul 04, 2018 02:30PM) (new)

Sarah Barnes | 23 comments Mod
As you all know Skeleton Crew is a collection of 22 short stories. For the discussions for this book we have decided to split the discussion into 4 topics (we thought 22 individual topics would be to much!). Two of these topics will discuss five of the short stories while the other two will discuss six short stories. Please let us know your thoughts about this divide.

This topic is the place to discuss:
- The Mist
- Here There Be Tygers
- The Monkey
- Cain Rose Up
- Mrs Todd's Shortcut

Happy reading :)

message 2: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) I skipped the mist..just saw movie and it’s too fresh
Read the next three...not quite sure how to comment. Just out of curiosity, how many are reading this?

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarhianon) | 56 comments Mod
delco wrote: "I skipped the mist..just saw movie and it’s too fresh
Read the next three...not quite sure how to comment. Just out of curiosity, how many are reading this?"

How was the film?

message 4: by Lisa (new)

I've just finished The Mist. I read it in one sitting and I liked how the suspense built up over time. Not sure about the section with Amanda Dumfries seemed a bit pointless to me.

Whilst reading it I was also getting some Stranger Things vibes...anyone else feel this? It definitely feels like some elements in this story inspired the TV Show.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Ok so I've finished all 5 of these.
The Mist is by far my favourite as I loved the characters and it's plot was intriguing.
I quite liked The Monkey too but I found that there was too much description which was a bit boring. Felt it could've been a bit shorter.
Here There Be Tygers started out promising and then just randomly ended.
Both Cain Rose Up and Mrs Todd's Shortcut I found boring. Especially Mrs Todd's Shortcut which I found myself skim reading.

Which one did everyone enjoy the most?

message 6: by delco (new)

delco (delcoreader) Responding to Lisa - sorry for the response delay. There are two versions of the mist in film format. I watched the recent show which was a miniseries based on the book. It was still good and worth watching. Centered around a mall, not a supermarket. It’s one of those shows only worth watching if you have time to kill...

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Barnes | 23 comments Mod
I've just finished these five stories. Here are my initial thoughts:

The Mist
Years ago I watched the film adaptation, and I am glad to have read the written version. It was quite different to the movie from what I can remember and I liked the story a lot more.

Here There Be Tygers:
Unfortunately this wasn't my favourite, I didn't really understand the point of the story as it just appeared to be totally random.

The Monkey:
This story was super creepy! My daughter has a little monkey that plays the drums - I will never look at it the same again! Enjoyed this one a lot.

Cain Rose Up:
This one really resonated with me due to the subject matter. Very well written.

Mrs Todd's Shortcut:
I couldn't get into this one. I found it quite boring and like Lisa, I ended up skim reading most of it.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

delco wrote: "Responding to Lisa - sorry for the response delay. There are two versions of the mist in film format. I watched the recent show which was a miniseries based on the book. It was still good and worth..."

It sounds interesting. I might give it a watch some time and see how it compares.

message 9: by Debi (new)

Debi Luke (Sunshinedll) | 4 comments I have only seen the movie didnt know of a mini series on it. wish I knew where to get that one.

message 10: by Kay (new)

Kay | 14 comments I love The Mist, and have only seen the film adaptation, which I enjoyed, although I wasn't sure about how they changed the ending in the film.