Play Book Tag discussion

Lincoln in the Bardo
This topic is about Lincoln in the Bardo
Archive: Other Books > Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders - 4 stars - May Decathalon

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6891 comments So I've spent over a month thinking about how to write a review for Lincoln in the Bardo and I still haven't managed to formulate my thoughts into anything near coherent.

This is a much raved over book and rightly so, George Saunders is extremely creative. The formatting of the book is interesting. I loved the voices of the ghosts and the historical background which was provided as it gave the reader a clear picture of the weight of the world which Lincoln carried with him. Losing the bright light of his son Willie was truly tragic and enervating for Lincoln.

As a reader, I wish that Saunders showed restraint as well as creativity. For me his prose sometimes became so much gobbledygook and the historic setting descended to the cartoonish. But perhaps, I am missing the point of it all.

I think when all is said and done one needs to read this book and decide for oneself the merit of it.

Susie | 4488 comments It’s such a hard book to gather your thoughts about, isn’t it? So unique.

Jgrace | 3112 comments Gobbledygook if a good word. I couldn't decide if he meant for parts of it to be humorous to lighten to mood or if he was going for an over the top absurd satire.

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Nicely put......very creative on many fronts, but I could have done without some of the absurdist ghostly bits.

Booknblues | 6891 comments Jgrace wrote: "Gobbledygook if a good word. I couldn't decide if he meant for parts of it to be humorous to lighten to mood or if he was going for an over the top absurd satire."

Parts of it were humorous, but it went over the top in my estimation. I would have appreciated some restraint. I really liked the two main ghosts with their friendship and humanity.

Susie, it is a hard book to gather thoughts about. Half the time while reading it I wasn't sure how I felt about it.

Jolene, I could have done without some of the absurdist ghostly bits, as well.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Fascinating approach. I gave the audio 4 stars.