Play Book Tag discussion

William M. Kunstler: The Most Hated Lawyer in America
This topic is about William M. Kunstler
Archive: Other Books > William M. Kunstler by David Langum -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments William M. Kunstler: The Most Hated Lawyer in America by David J. Langum
3 stars

I read this book for my summer Social Justice class. My review is just ho-hum. William Kunstler was an amazingly interesting lawyer. He was very active in civil rights issues, but really came to light defending protestors of the Vietnam War. He was outspoken and an activist and represented people who society generally shied away from. Kunstler himself was an amazingly interesting person.

But I was not a fan of the writing. It felt disorganized and repetitive. The timeline was all over the place and things were casually mentioned then not really explained until 50 pages later. Or, the author would explain something in great detail and it would take me a realize that we just took a 20 year detour from our main story line.

Reading this book was a chore, and if it weren't for it being an assignment and for the great discussions we had in class, I probably would have DNF'ed it.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Well dang. They can't all be winners. Youve liked the others you have read on your class reading list right?

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments They have been okay. The only one I really liked was Devil in the Grove. But, I have thoroughly enjoyed learning about and discussing these people and cases! I love the class for that reason alone.