Play Book Tag discussion

The Power
This topic is about The Power
Archive: Other Books > The Power by Naomi Alderman -- 5 stars + ♥

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments The Power by Naomi Alderman
5 stars + ♥

I finished this book two weeks ago and I am still struggling to put into words how much I loved it. It was hard to read, but damn it made me think.

Alderman has envisioned a contemporary world where women's power is awakening. Quite literally. Women are discovering that they have the power of electricity that is generated in their skein (a muscular organ across their collarbones) and radiates out through their hands. This is a game changer, and tips the current male dominated society on its head. Currently oppressed women revolt against their oppressors, governments attempt to register and control women, and woman-on-man violence erupts around the world. Told through the eyes of four people: a politician, a religious (cult) leader, a drug lord's daughter, and a male reporter in the Middle East, we see the way power evolves and can be manipulated.

I honestly don't even know where to start. I want to write a 5000 word essay on all of the amazing themes in the book: feminism, power, transgender, HIV, and so on. I want to expound on how brilliant I thought it was to have women also be susceptible to the lures of power that men are: violence, control, rape. Because women experience these things every day and I feel like I lose sight of it sometimes, and this book highlighted it in a new and disturbing way. I love that women in power did NOT lead to a peaceful society (because isn't equality the point?), but the women at least realized their errors and corrected them. Albeit in a cataclysmic way. I want to recount the tongue-in-cheek prologue and epilogue where a female editor woman-splains all the things to a male writer.

My IRL book club read this and we talked for HOURS about it. Literally hours. And we have talked even more about it in small groups since then. And I still want to talk about it. This will definitely be in my top 10 of the year.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Also, this is totally a dystopian book, but I read it last month so I am putting it in the "other books" folder.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I've got this on my list to read this month but I am fifth in the que at my library. I may actually just go and buy this book. So many love this book and I'm excited to read it.

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen | 1545 comments I nominated it for my IRL book club and they all hated it. I gave it 3.5 stars but in retrospect it should have been higher because it’s a book that stayed with me. I have spent a lot of time thinking about it.

Susie | 4488 comments I am sooo glad that you loved it Nicole. Womansplains. lol!

Jen, what did they hate about it???

Anita Pomerantz | 6734 comments So glad this book worked out so well for your book club! I really thought it would be a great one for discussion. Love your review . . .

message 7: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Gosh darn, you have me convinced I will love this too. Maybe if I can finish Red Clocks, I can add myself to this book's buddy read also.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Power (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Alderman (other topics)