Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Sci-fi beta reader with nanotech background

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Ferguson | 4 comments Hello everyone,

I am a published author of science fiction interested in beta reading, primarily for other sci-fi authors. Atop examination of plot consistency and believability of the characters and visualization of a scene, I feel that I can offer something rarer:

I am educated with degrees in nanotechnology (BASc) and electrical/computer engineering (MASc), having been fortunate to get in early at the University of Waterloo's fledgling NE program back in 2007. My background should make me an effective wall for bouncing ideas off of for those who are developing hard (or harder) science fiction, and for those who want their work to be free of scientific/engineering errors.

I respect magic in stories, and the deliberately unexplained, but those wishing for either a general idea or a passage to be made more plausible (or at least de-goofed) with a technical improvement are invited to contact me. I promise to have some intuition about when detail is unnecessary or overwhelming, and I will try to respond in a timely manner.

Regards,

Mark Ferguson

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Cornell | 2 comments Hello Mark, i am in the process of redrafting the first book of my sci-fi trilogy. It is currently some 160,000 words long and would very much like a second opinion form someone with experience in the field. If you would be willing to give it a read i can email you the first act/chapter of 30,00 words. Hope to hear from you, Matt.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Ferguson | 4 comments Matthew wrote: "Hello Mark, i am in the process of redrafting the first book of my sci-fi trilogy. It is currently some 160,000 words long and would very much like a second opinion form someone with experience in ..."

Matthew, you should have received a message from me. Please let me know if it didn't arrive.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Mark,

The title is Welcome to Nothing. It is a sci-fi comedy of about 75,000 words.

In an absurd 22nd century landscape the kind and portly, Jonathan, was provoked by his illegitimate father, Francis, to help create two genderless beings to find the truths behind nature vs. nurture. Little does Jonathan know that Francis has an ulterior motive to use the children as a weapon to replace humanity.

Let me know if this would be of any interest to you and I'll send over the link.

Thank you.

Matt

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Ferguson | 4 comments Matt wrote: "Hey Mark,

The title is Welcome to Nothing. It is a sci-fi comedy of about 75,000 words.

In an absurd 22nd century landscape the kind and portly, Jonathan, was provoked by his illegitimate fathe..."

Matt, you should have received a message from me. Please let me know if it didn't arrive.

message 6: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Lawrence (joshualawrencepike) | 9 comments I am getting ready to start looking for Agent's and want feedback. Anything and everything wrong except for minor issues of proofreading (which I know I need to have done). The book is 86k words.

Other then slow FTL travel the book is hard Sci fi.

When Roger can no longer make a living on his home planet he is forced to choose between lobotomizing himself, so a corporation can use his brain as a computer, or leaving his home. He is hired onto the Erikson, a city size construction ship heading to an uninhabited system. When at the build site the star goes nova, the Erikson is damaged and forced to flee.
In a system every record said was uninhabited they find a large human population. They assume it to be a dark colony, but this colony knows no earth language and lacks technology freely available when the first ships left earth.

HUMANITY IN THE DEEP has the hard Sci-Fi feel of The Expanse with strong character growth and elements of romance.

First three chapters: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SjXI...

message 7: by Elisa (new)

Elisa | 164 comments Hi I have a 77k SciFi/Fantasy with a mix of near-future tech and magic.

Seventeen-year-old virology intern Hiromi is racing against time, cultivating a vaccine against the dreaded Konadai virus, a lab-created nightmare of magic and science that turns its victims into flesh-hungry mutants. When the essential testing ingredient, virus-infected tissue, runs critically low, Hiromi ventures to the ruins outside the city walls, where hoards of the infected roam.

Joined by her childhood friend Private Kenji, Hiromi hopes his fire-magic abilities and ragtag military unit will be enough to keep them safe. But when their friend and squadmate Tidus is bitten and appears to be immune to the Konadai virus, Kenji demands they keep it a secret fearing he’ll be dissected and used for experiments.

Hiromi must choose between Kenji's trust, the life of their friend—and the lives of thousands.

message 8: by Jinny (new)

Jinny Hawkins | 5 comments Hello Mark,
I think my book is actually exactly what you described. Its sci-fi, and it does try to grind impossible marvels (such as magic) in science. However that has lead to quite complicated explanations in some parts.
It follows the storyline of Fang, a orphan living on the streets on New York. He takes care of three other orphans under his care. They stumble upon a (for lack of a more sophisticated word) community of people aware of "intergalactic" life.

message 9: by Jordan (last edited Aug 03, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Jordan | 5 comments Hi Mark,

Thank You for offering your service. I'm 19 and a Computer Science major in Development with a keen admiration for literature covering Time-travel, Quantum Physics, and Pseudo-science.

Would you be interested in a Sci-fi Time-Travel story? It's a complete manuscript.

Synopsis:

There was everything else, and then there was the Atomaru...

Two otherworldly orphaned children are born to a small city on Pearlcroft Island, the epicenter of a massive government upheaval in which every day they struggle to exist. Now young adults braving a new world, Dr. Liberty and the overly curious journalist cross paths once again. With a team of uncanny allies, they're pushed into a deadly eye-opening adventure across the TimeFrames to stop a secret society with and age-old plot. With political agendas, biotechnology and billions of lives hanging in the balance, what length's will the team go to in order to protect their future?
Is blood truly thicker than water?
or is it just what makes us... human?

Details: 414 pages 128438 words
A hefty challenge that makes for a satisfying read.

Please let me know if that's something that would interest you.

Thanks,

J.S. Young (Jojo)
Jordansen1998@gmail.com

message 10: by Tomaž (new)

Tomaž Vargazon | 3 comments Hello Mark

Would you be willing to review my novel-in-making (50k words done, it'll be about 60k at the end)? It's sci-fi but I try to make it as scientifically plausible as possible, with as little artistic licence as I can make it. It explores the problems encountered with colonizing other planets, both scientific and cultural.

By sheer coincidence your name makes you especially suited for the role. You'll understand if you take it up.

PM me if you're interested, email is below but I sometimes miss emails so I'd perfer PM.

t.vargazon@siol.net

Cheers :)

message 11: by Bayne (new)

Bayne Bradshaw (theentertainist) | 11 comments Hi there Mark :) I just sent you a DM- I hope you're still available to take manuscripts!

Thank you in advance,

Bayne

message 12: by J.D. (last edited Feb 18, 2019 09:04PM) (new)

J.D. Lasica (jdlasica) | 17 comments Hi Mark,

I'm a published author (#1 bestseller in a couple of Amazon genres last year) with a new science thriller coming out in late March.

Genre: high-tech thriller

Synopsis: Overnight, hundreds of teenage girls disappear from the streets of America. Off the coast of Florida, an augmented reality theme park opens for the super-rich. Are the two connected? When two assailants accost 23-year-old Kaden Baker at an awards gala, she enters a maelstrom of high-tech international intrigue that pits her against a mysterious foe. It will take all her covert ops and hacking skills as she allies with a band of family members resolved to retrieve their daughters and battle an enemy that’s out to change the face of the world.

AI, VR and AR are among the new technologies tackled. Does this sound interesting to you? It's been through a professional editor and we're looking for a final read. Length: 94,000 words.

I am looking for comments on any plot holes, character development, mistakes we didn't catch and anything else you'd like to comment on.

Thanks for supporting the author community!

JD Lasica

note: Because Goodreads wants us to post our queries here instead of contacting you directly, I'll post this here.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark Ferguson | 4 comments To clarify, I remain active as a beta reader, and the queries you see have been answered by personal messages (and I feel that the majority appreciated my work).

Mark