What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Portal Fantasy - where 'real' person transported to fantasy land

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S H A R O N (last edited Jul 04, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 7 comments Hi everybody! I'm looking for books in the fantasy genre where an everyday person gets transported from the "regular" world to a fantasy world (a similar trope/mechanism to what's found in R.A. Salvatore's Spearwielder's Tale trilogy, the first book being: The Woods Out Back).

So sorry if something like this has already been posted in the group...I looked, but couldn't find anywhere it had been.

EDIT: Preferably adult fantasy over young adult or middle grade fantasy

message 2: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Rogue's pawn (covenant of thorns series) by Jeffe Kennedy

message 3: by CrazyUnicorn (new)

CrazyUnicorn | 225 comments Oh and the Narnia books by C.s. Lewis :)

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jul 04, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments The Rifter series, starting with The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates.

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Most of the Narnia series, beginning with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

message 7: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 7 comments Thank you for the suggestions! I've read a few (a lot of the classics like Narnia/Alice/Oz, etc...) but there are a few that I haven't. I'll check them out! If anyone else has any Portal Fantasy suggestions I am all ears! :)

message 8: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments The Summer Tree

The Mirror of Her Dreams

Lord Foul's Bane

The Emerald Atlas (Middle Grade)

Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold

Spellsinger

Windmaster's Bane

The Talisman

City of Golden Shadow (Not exactly what you asked for but close enough that you might like it)

Out of time for now. I'll continue through my shelf later.

message 10: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 7 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "The Summer Tree

The Mirror of Her Dreams

Lord Foul's Bane

The Emerald Atlas (Middle Grade)

Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold

[bo..."

These are fantastic -- most are new to me and I will definitely check them out. Thank you!!

message 11: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 7 comments Scott wrote: "The Sleeping Dragon"

This is exactly what I'm looking for -- I've added it to my list. Thank you!!

message 12: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments Here's a few more. A bunch of these (and the ones in my other post) are older and might be harder to find,

Her Majesty's Wizard

The Neverending Story

Split Infinity (The character moves from a science fiction world to a fantasy one)

Black: The Birth of Evil

Castle Perilous

The Talking Parcel (This is middle grade, and probably hard to find, but the memory of the book has stuck with me since I was a kid, so I thought I'd mention it)

The Infinity Concerto

Virtual Mode (I think this fits. It's been a long time since I read it)

message 13: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments P.C. Cast has an amazing fantasy series where a woman gets sent to another world called Goddess Summoning. Definitely Adult Fantasy. The books are more of a set than a series, don't need to read them in any particular order. My fav of them all is Goddess of Spring.

message 16: by K.L. (new)

K.L. | 72 comments Christopher Stasheff's Wizard in Rhyme series, Gordon Dicksons Dragon and George series. Sorry I can't do a link off my phone 😁

message 17: by S H A R O N (new)

S H A R O N  (ishari) | 7 comments These are all great! Thank you!! :D

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Really Unusual Bad Boys lighthearted romance. 3 inter connected stories that form one book.

Witch World

The Complete Compleat Enchanter

Land of Unreason

The Undesired Princess and the Enchanted Bunny (2 for 1 with this one.)

And the clicks for K L.'s suggestions (which I support, bbtw)

The Dragon and the George and
Her Majesty's Wizard

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 474 comments One of the characters in The Doomfarers of Coramonde by Brian Daley is a Vietnam-era soldier whose APC is pulled into a fantasy world to fight a dragon. He later chooses to return and help the good guys. Great book, one of my favorites.

There's a newish genre called litrpg where characters spend a lot of time in video game settings. Sometimes that means they're pulled into a different world that runs on video game rules, so it's a type of portal fantasy. One I like with that setup is Beginnings by R.A. Mejia, the first in a trilogy about a young man who dies on Earth and is reincarnated in a fantasy world.

message 20: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments This is a good list to look at for these types of books: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...

message 21: by Rosa (new)

message 22: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
This happens in the first book of the G.O.D. Inc. series by Jack L. Chalker. Title of the first one is The Labyrinth of Dreams (i'm about 99.5% sure it's in this book. But that's why I put the title of the series, just in case that .5% is the one to pay attention to.)

He also uses it in his Changewinds series. First book of which is When the Changewinds Blow is the first book in this series.

Although these may be a bit more sci-fi than you wanted, still they are good series about someone going to that other world and trying to fit in/survive.

message 23: by asha (new)

asha | 29 comments following

message 24: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 193 comments Spellsinger is an older book, first (and best) in a long series.

or Every Heart a Doorway is a novella, first in at least a trilogy, all of which are fabulous.

message 25: by Nora (new)

Nora | 115 comments You probably have more suggestions than you can get through, but I'll add:

The Secret Country, which is a series of three

The Book of Lost Things

100 Cupboards, particularly the rest of the trilogy and the prequel

The Eyre Affair and the rest of the Thursday Next books

message 26: by Gillian (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Gillian | 281 comments The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow by Fuyumi Ono. It is the first in a (not completely translated) series.

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (sarawisdom) | 3 comments In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan is a fun pastiche on the genre (while still being a solid portal fantasy book) if you want something a little more light!

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 214 comments Oops, didn't see that you preferred adult to ya or mg until I was writing up the list. I've specified the ages, you can pick and choose or ignore as you please.

The Key to Rondo mg
Gregor the Overlander ya
A World Without Heroes ya
Inkspell ya
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ya
The Wishing Spell mg
The King's Gambit mg
The Princess Pawn ya
Story Thieves mg
The Door Within mg
The Neverending Story ya
Water Keep ya

message 29: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40627 comments Mod
This isn't fantasy, it's literary fiction, but in Exit West people are transported from a war torn country through portals to other places, which are real cities/countries but are dystopic. The portals are also at the destinations, so they can keep moving potentially.