The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > Religious and Spiritual Themes

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
When they designed the survey to create the list, the polling group made an effort to make sure that different segments of our society were included in the surveys.

Of the books you read, which books have a religious or spiritual theme? Please identify the religions or idea featured in the book.

Do you think the range of beliefs reflects those in North America?

message 2: by Blueberry (last edited Jul 05, 2018 08:50AM) (new)

message 3: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) | 300 comments Some countries are also represented by a religion (the Church of England, Ireland is a Catholic country, as are many central American and South American countries.) The US isn't supposed to be a Christian nation, but I keep hearing that it is.

I was surprised at how much I liked Gilead, given it's narrator is a preacher, but I loved it. There is a ton of religious information in it, but he's one of the easiest-going ministers I've ever "met."

message 4: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (last edited Jul 05, 2018 05:16PM) (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I would add Siddhartha to this list. It shows a journey through Buddhism and seeking Nirvana.

message 5: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

In White Teeth, Islam and Jehovah's Witnesses play a large role in family dynamics. Hinduism and atheism are also represented, but in a lesser capacity.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments An obvious one is "Bless Me, Ultima" (Catholicism mixed with local indigenous beliefs which, for those who practice it, remains "Catholicism". It's complicated).
I haven't read "The Alchemist" yet, but I do believe that it involves some sort of spiritual journey.
"The Chronicles of Narnia"
"Pilgrim's Progress"
"Left Behind", right?

"The PIllars of the Earth" involves the construction of a cathedral, the importance of a cathedral's presence to an area's economic situation, and the politics of the Church, but I don't know that it's really about religion, per se. I suppose you could argue a lot of these works (King's "The Stand" is basically good vs. evil, with Randall Flagg, The Man in Black, being a somewhat satanic figure that inhabits lots of his works.)

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 29, 2018 03:26AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
Alchemist
Bless me Ultima
DaVinci Code (the mystery involves the vatican)
Gilead
Left Behind
Pilgrim's progress
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Shack
Siddhartha
This Present Darkness
White Teeth

NOT SURE
Chronicles of Narnia
The Stand
Pillars - Does anyone remember whether there was a religious focus? I just remember officials who acted more in a managerial/political capacity.

How about Their eyes were watching god?

message 8: by Linda (last edited Jul 29, 2018 08:52AM) (new)

Linda  | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Alchemist
Bless me Ultima
Gilead
Left Behind
Pilgrim's progress
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Shack
Siddhartha
This Present Darkness
White Teeth

NOT ..."

Chronicles--Christian themes are incorporated (Lewis was a convert, as an adult), and he admitted to similarities between Aslan (the LIon) and Christ, though he didn't set out to write a Christian saga.

The Stand--R Flagg, The Man in Black, represents Evil, and draws to him those who are basically evil. Though he walks the earth and appears in many different places/times (across centuries) in King's work, in this novel he takes up residence in Las Vegas (aka Sin City). Mother Abigail represents Good, and draws those who are good to her. She is seen as a prophet, and receives messages from God. Though the heart of the story is the potential horror of CBW, and its fallout, Good vs Evil are definitely at war in this book--no, it's not a story of a spiritual journey or search, but it's part of the story. It posits an idea that also appears in McCarthy's "The Road"-in the aftermath, which side would you be on? Would you be strong enough to fight "the good fight"?

Pillars-I don't think that you could say there was a spiritual focus, but it definitely showed how organized religion and the State have worked together in the past. Maybe highlighting the hypocrisy of some?

message 9: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Alchemist
Bless me Ultima
Gilead
Left Behind
Pilgrim's progress
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Shack
Siddhartha
This Present Darkness
White Teeth

NOT ..."

I would not classify Their Eyes Were Watching God as having religious themes. There is only a few brief mentions in the book.