The Dark Mythology discussion

Vampires and Werewolves > Werewolfology

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) What books would you suggest for werewolfology studies? I'm always looking for unique voices on the subject.

Here are my favorites:

Werewolf by Montague Summers
Monsters An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings by John Michael Greer
The Magic of Shapeshifting by Rosalyn Greene
A Field Guide to Otherkin by Lupa

message 2: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (new)

Cairnraiser | 12 comments Mod
As I said in this earlier thread about werewolves and shapeshifters, I think the original werewolf novel contains no wolves of any kind. I'm thinking of Robert Louis Stephenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
It has the nightly changes and the conflict between the untamed ferocity and the civilized human.

message 3: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I'm not asking for novels, but for studies.

message 4: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (last edited Aug 17, 2009 11:56PM) (new)

Sorry, missed that. Would recommend using lycanthropy as a search term.
I will then shamelessly link to a competing site here, and hope that the book there and some of the books listed under recommendations are of more use to you.

message 5: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thank you, I'll take a look

Can you reccomend any that deal with the therian aspect of the subject?

message 6: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:18AM) (new)

I'm afraid I can't recommend any books specifically. However, if you haven't already, I'd recommend looking for books and sites on totem animals. Totem animals have different significance in different cultures, some see them as separate and "guardian angels" types of creatures, while IIRC other cultures see them as an integral part of the spirit or soul of the person they are attached to.

There's also the more modern subculture of furries. As with most modern phenomenon there's a wide spread of reasons for participating: Sexual fetishism, role/cosplay and it seems some people identify with their chosen avatar/animal.

And finally you have people like Dennis "Catman" Abner.

message 7: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I'll pass on the furries, but thanks for the totem suggestion.

message 8: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:34AM) (new)

Yeah, TV was also my first exposure to him... IIRC he hadn't had the whiskers implanted the first time I saw him. I'm just wondering how far he's ready to go?

message 9: by Cairnraiser, Colonel Panic (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:41AM) (new)

@Christy, I know you said you'd pass on the furries, but a googling of "theria furry" had this thread as the first result.

It's not a study by any stretch of the imagination, but you might find it interesting, nonetheless. Especially as a reply brings up the term "otherkin" that might give you something more to look into.

message 10: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thanks for the link.

And thanks for the otherkin suggestion, but most therians (well, most may be a little strong) try to distance themselves from otherkin.

Not that I don't love otherkin.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments Some of these are novels an anthologies, but others are nonfiction. Just sift through the list:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_6_1...

message 12: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Thanks

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 80 comments You're welcome. I know that the July/August issue of Withersin Magazine that has My Black Dogs myth article has one on werewolves too. Waiting for my copy, so can read that one. They're behind with the issue-suppose to be out this month.

message 14: by Pamela (last edited Dec 31, 2009 08:41AM) (new)

Pamela | 80 comments I got this book when I was at B&N signing my books. Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts by Bob Curran