You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Reading Moods

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments So, huge, huge, huge, huge fan of Rick Riordan and was really excited to get into the Magnus Chase series I had yet to start. I'm reading it and absolutely loving it, so amazing so far. However, I've not been picking it up as much as I want to because I'd rather pick up that horror book.

The Shining has been so great so far and it seems as if I just want to read horror, which is a new genre for me to delve into. I'm usually mainly just fantasy based. A part of me is really sad that I'm taking a small break from Magnus Chase, but a part of me is glad that I'm not forcing myself to read it and putting myself in a slump.

Any of you dealing with this kind of situation right now? Where no matter how much you were enjoying that book you were reading, you have to put it down for a completely new genre?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I'm in a major reading slump right now but it's not down to me needing or wanting to pick up a new genre. I just can't seem to get into any book lately. I have been picking books up and putting them back down again like there is no tomorrow but I just can't get any to stick right now ☹️ I think I might have to resort to my tried and tested technique of re-reading a book I previously really enjoyed to see if that gets me back on track.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I have been dealing with real life. It has put me in a mood for only light books. I need books about good people doing normal things. Its hard for me because this time of year I love to read mysteries. I had saved a whole bunch.

The sad fact about mysteries is they have so many bad people doing bad things

message 4: by Books With Chi (new)

Books With Chi | 22 comments Lisa wrote: "I'm in a major reading slump right now but it's not down to me needing or wanting to pick up a new genre. I just can't seem to get into any book lately. I have been picking books up and putting the..."

Ah, the dreading reading slumps. I hate when I get into those because I don't even try to pick up books when I'm in them. Unfortunately, this leads to me having a year-long slump. Hence why I haven't read many books on goodreads yet. My longest slump was 3 years. I got into a slump at the end of highschool and didn't come out of it until I discovered booktube. Then, in the middle of reading Empire of Storms, I just got really busy which put me in a slump for a whole year. I'm going to try and do better with slumps lol.

Renee wrote: "I have been dealing with real life. It has put me in a mood for only light books. I need books about good people doing normal things. Its hard for me because this time of year I love to read mysteries..."

I would like to try reading mysteries. I read them in highschool and enjoyed them, just haven't really been in the mood for them since I got back into reading. Will need to try and pick them up again.

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 261 comments For some reason, this year has not been a good year to get involved in reading. Normally I read quite a bit, but now if I start reading, I will read for a couple of hours and then not pick the book up again until 4 days later. I will be glad when this ends.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Yep, I've been in a bit of a slump this year. Still reading but much slower. Plus I'm reading academic texts and working on my business which is taking up time where i would have read. So yeah, real life. It does mean I'm being very selective with what I read to ensure i get enjoyment from it.

I often feel like a switch of genres especially if I've been reading around one for a few books in a row but it never stops me picking the book up. I just decide to change genre on the next book.

However, if I'm reading more than one book at a time,I'll spend more time on the one I'm enjoying most so the other one might gounread for a bit but i pick it up again after.